Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blacking out your engine, casing

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 04:20 PM
jaysomethin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh yeah i didnt remove anything hence the taping time...

Name:  IMG_0354.jpg
Views: 7943
Size:  166.4 KBName:  IMG_0352.jpg
Views: 8128
Size:  163.5 KBName:  IMG_0358.jpg
Views: 8026
Size:  158.0 KBName:  IMG_0356.jpg
Views: 7961
Size:  159.4 KBName:  IMG_0359.jpg
Views: 7956
Size:  191.7 KB

Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 AM
xcore
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, looks pretty neat, but why did you spray it gloss on one side and matt on the other? Care to post how does the right side of the bike looks like?

Old 06-29-2011, 03:48 AM
REVHAPPY
Tourer

All talk and no pic's.......Lets see what some of these home paint creations look like

"a roll of green painters tape to the person w/the best home paint job"

Old 07-06-2011, 02:32 AM
xcore
Cruiser

Gonna do it next weekend after some planning. Do I've to prime the casing after I sand it?

Anyway does anybody know if the HD textured black spray is high temp? Not stated on the can.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 AM
opiyone
Intermediate

I used the VHT header paint in flat black. I done the same as Jaysomethin. Tape everything you don't want painted and just paint. I didn't wash my engine off with some degreaser cleaner first to make sure there were no oils. Drinking straws if they fit good would be a good idea and I have read a guy used those little black plastic caps like the ones that are covering some of the bolts on the bike now. I didn't prime anything. I already had tape and paper so the project only cost me $8. Just remember after a coat wait for however long the can says to dry and then repaint. One can was enough for me to paint the whole engine with two coats. Let your engine idle after your done to bake on the paint if you get the VHT header paint.

Larry

Old 07-07-2011, 02:44 AM
HOG_WILD_STEVE
Intermediate

I'm going to be painting mine too. Can't decide between Rustoleum VHT primer and then black, just straight to black or using the Harley stuff. Any thoughts about some kind of clear coat to protect it a little better?

Old 07-09-2011, 03:55 AM
xcore
Cruiser

Heyyy, anybody has any feedback after spraying your casings with HD textured black spray?

Sprayed my speedo with that and it traps dirt like a b*tch. Wouldnt want my casing to be trapping sand and all after I done that. Any solutions?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and recently purchased an 07 Nightster. I've been following this thread intently because my engine is in need of a quick facelift and I appreciate all the good info I've gleaned so far. Before I bought it the bike had been sitting in a barn for about a year and oxidation got under some of the paint on the engine casing and block. I plan to pull the engine this winter and really clean it up and repaint but wanted to do something now to make it look better. Anybody have any recommendations for how to clean it up for a quick paintjob as many of you have been doing? I was thinking of taking a dremmel with a wire wheel to the bad spots to remove the chipping paint on the engine (the really bad spots are in the little nooks and crannies around the heads, naturally) but after that what's the best way to clean up the oxidation to ensure the paint sticks? Can I spray the whole thing (not the heads) with some brake cleaner to remove it, along with accumulated road grime and oil? Will that harm the engine gaskets or cause other problems?

I also have many of the case bolts with oxidation and surface corrosion on the heads. Someone mentioned taking them out one at a time. Is it possible to take each one out, clean the bolt head and replace it, then rinse/repeat all the way around the case without ruining a gasket and causing a leak?

Any help on this would be great. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I picked up a can of VHT wrinkle paint and taped off the engine last Friday. It took about 4 hours to tape and around an hour to spray and touch up.

Here are a few pics...

Attached Thumbnails Blacking out your engine, casing-dark-custom-2011.jpg   Blacking out your engine, casing-dark-custom-2011-1-.jpg   Blacking out your engine, casing-photo0280.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 12:20 AM
jaysomethin
Intermediate

sorry heres the pics of the finished job... both sides, came out real smooth, that gloss look died right out and has a nice wrinkle black matte finish..

Name:  IMG_0426.jpg
Views: 8114
Size:  193.1 KBName:  IMG_0428.jpg
Views: 8037
Size:  181.2 KB

It was just one can of harley wrinkle paint, im not the most mechanically inclined so I didnt remove anything... Still looks perfect after surviving a 9 day 3200 mile road trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NbLlctSuBY

Quick Reply: Blacking out your engine, casing