Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTC errors PLEAE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 03:53 PM
karim.samir
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTC errors PLEAE HELP

Hey there,

I ride a 2007 Sportster 1200C. The bike was running great, i came back from work, and parked it. Suddenly i heard the alarm triggering, so i went down to check on the bike and allow the FOB key to get close to the bike so it stops the alarm.

The other day in the morning, i tried to start the bike but the battery drained. Lights were on but the bike didn't want to start. So i left it and went to work. When i came back i tried to start it. The battery totally drained to the point that both the headlight and the lights on the dashboard did not lid.

So, i put my charger and kept it for a couple of days so the battery can charge. After the 3rd day, the bike started normally. But i faced some strange situations:

First of all, when i used to switch on the kill switch, usually a check engine sign comes out on the speedometer at the same time this strange sound coming from the injection is happening. Now, when i switch on the kill switch nothing happens, as if the injector is not working at all, no check engine sign as well.

Second, i checked my DTC errors and i discovered i have a B1141 and a U1016. I checked online and discovered that:

B1141 : ignition switch low/open

U1016 : Loss of ECM serial data instrument.

I knew i had some trouble with my ignition switch, so i headed to the mechanic and changed the whole ignition switch and i cleared the errors.

Then, i took a ride back home, almost 25 km away and i stopped the bike, started it again but still the check engine sign does not show up and this sound of the injection pump is not there.

I checked the DTC again and the errors are still there.

I don't really understand what these errors mean and how to fix them. My mechanic said that i have to go to the dealer and let them do me an electric diagnosis on the computer. But the problem is the dealer is a little bit overpriced and i cannot afford going there anytime soon.

Moreover, the bike is my only ride so i use it everyday.

Can anyone please tell me what to do and where might be the problems?

Thank you,

Old 12-05-2014, 06:38 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

change your fob battery yet ?

Old 12-06-2014, 02:25 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Both of those codes have more than one possible problem that could be causing those codes. You may want to check the other possible problems listed for these codes, they are:

B1141
Ignition Switch Open/Low (HFSM) ONLY
or
Turn signals Will Not Flash (TSM) ONLY

U1016
Loss of all ECM serial data (state of health) at
TSM/TSSM/HFSM
or
Loss of all ECM serial data (state of health) at
speedometer
or
Loss of vehicle speed
or
Loss of vehicle inhibit motion
or
Loss of powertrain security status

Hope this helps you to narrow down the actual fault.

Oh, and don't forget to go to the new members section of this forum and introduce yourself.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:28 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I would ignore the U1016 code a it prolly came from the battery being run down..the other code for (b1141) the ignition stuff, I would check the turn signals to make sure they are working correctly and the wiring to the igniton and turn signals...

Old 12-11-2014, 12:26 PM
karim.samir
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error

Hey there, i went to the mechanic and he changed the ignition switch and we double checked the wiring 3 times.. everything went fine and when i tried the bike there after clearing the errors, nothing happened and the check engine sign at the beginning came back, heard the noise of the injector...

I took the bike back home, and by the time i arrived the B1141 error showed up again. This was last friday, so i cleared it again and continued riding the whole day and it was running perfectly.

The day after, i decided not to go to work with the bike because i didn't want to risk any problems, so i left it at home. The bike was almost parked for 20 hours and when i came back home i took it for a small ride. It was perfect.

The next day, i took it to work with me, it didn't start as easy as it used to, took a sec to start.. but it did at the end. After almost 12 hours at work, i was heading home, so i tried starting the bike, but the battery totally drained again.. i tried to run-start it and jump start it.. it never did, so i had to push it home, almost 4 miles.

Now, i am worried to use it and it is causing me a lot of trouble lacking it.. I can't go anywhere. Moreover, i don't know what is wrong with it so i can't fix it..

My mechanic is advising me of an electric diagnosis at the dealer, but, i cannot afford it.

Any help please?

Old 12-13-2014, 09:53 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

are your battery cables clean and tight? is the battery original? have you checked/cleaned your fuses (they get corroded)? did your check engine light and battery light come on...may need to check charging system once you know the battery is good and fully charged. have you replaced the fob batteries by chance? good luck