Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley windshield buffeting - experimenting tonight.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 PM
dtfly
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Harley windshield buffeting - experimenting tonight.

I put the clamp-on 18" HD windshield on the bike (05 1200C) BEFORE I saw all the comments about the terrible buffeting. Yep - mine did it too. Terrible - worse to ride than no shield.

So - thought about what was happening and decided to do a little experimenting. I have the removable shield that clamps on the forks, and I wanted deflectors that would stay mounted to the shield when you take it off. Built a little prototype deflector tonight that bolts on to the shield hardware bolts, and sticks down and back a bit at the bottom sides and middle around the forks. Took about an hour to build out of aluminum strap and some 1/8" plastic I had.

Took the bike for a ride and it does wonders! Pretty much took care of any buffeting at all speeds up to about 100 (shut it down there!). Completely took away the air rush up your chest and legs. Shouldn't change the airflow to the motor. Shield still comes on and off like before with this mounted on it. I think tomorrow I'll get some good Lexan and better strap material and build a better proto. Got a buddy that wants to try it, he's got the removable with the docking hardware on the forks, I think it will work the same, so I'll make him one to try. Got a trip coming up in about 3 weeks and wanted to use the shield, I think I'll be able to now!

Last edited by dtfly; 07-07-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 AM
izzyfutch
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Any pictures?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by izzyfutch
Any pictures?
Any pictures?!

Got a SuperLow with quick release windshield. Get on with it fine up to 70-ish, but admire the work you're doing dtfly. I have a modified windshield on my Glide, that significantly improved comfort, so I am all ears! Well, eyes I suppose, sitting here typing....

Attached Thumbnails Harley windshield buffeting - experimenting tonight.-harley-lights-s.jpg  
Old 07-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dtfly
I put the clamp-on 18" HD windshield on the bike (05 1200C) BEFORE I saw all the comments about the terrible buffeting. Yep - mine did it too. Terrible - worse to ride than no shield.

So - thought about what was happening and decided to do a little experimenting. I have the removable shield that clamps on the forks, and I wanted deflectors that would stay mounted to the shield when you take it off. Built a little prototype deflector tonight that bolts on to the shield hardware bolts, and sticks down and back a bit at the bottom sides and middle around the forks. Took about an hour to build out of aluminum strap and some 1/8" plastic I had.

Took the bike for a ride and it does wonders! Pretty much took care of any buffeting at all speeds up to about 100 (shut it down there!). Completely took away the air rush up your chest and legs. Shouldn't change the airflow to the motor. Shield still comes on and off like before with this mounted on it. I think tomorrow I'll get some good Lexan and better strap material and build a better proto. Got a buddy that wants to try it, he's got the removable with the docking hardware on the forks, I think it will work the same, so I'll make him one to try. Got a trip coming up in about 3 weeks and wanted to use the shield, I think I'll be able to now!
I had the buffeting problem with my Sporty with the removable windshield also. The buffeting was to my helmet, had a similar problem with my rice burner with a full fairing windshield, so I cut off 2 inches from the top of the windshield so the disturbed airflow now passes below my chin and I get very little to no buffeting.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 PM
surazal54
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb same issue

I just out one in same issue ... so if youhave some pics I of the prototype

I would be very thankful for pre engineering ... I was going to Lowe's this

weekend to get some al flat stock to mount some lexan to

let me know thanks if this works we should document it and put it the

regular section for improvements

Old 07-08-2011, 05:07 PM
dtfly
Advanced

Originally Posted by surazal54
I just out one in same issue ... so if youhave some pics I of the prototype

I would be very thankful for pre engineering ... I was going to Lowe's this

weekend to get some al flat stock to mount some lexan to

let me know thanks if this works we should document it and put it the

regular section for improvements
I'm going to try out the second prototype tonight, it looks a bit better. I'll get some pics and a little more info on it when I get a chance.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:22 PM
dtfly
Advanced

Just got back from a 120 mile ride with the new deflector on, at about 10:30 at night. I actually like riding with the windshield on now, at least at night - the bugs in Iowa grow just as fast and big and thick as the corn! Even rode for a while with just my normal eyeglasses on, they would have been gone off my head by the time I hit 40 mph before. No buffeting up the front at all now. This is so much different from before. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Oh just for the record, this was all with open air. Iowa does not require a helmet, although it is still probably a good idea. Nothing like riding in the breeze though... Still prefer to ride without the shield on, but sometimes it's nice!

Last edited by dtfly; 07-08-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:36 PM
dtfly
Advanced

OK, snapped a few pictures. Here's a quick rundown of what it took. The mounts are 1/8" x 3/4" flat steel by 13" long. Holes drilled to mount on the shield hardware, and straps bent to fit, as well as deflecter angle. Just rattle-canned them black for now. Deflector started as a 18" x 6" x 1/8" thick Lexan. Cut the holes for the forks with a 2" holesaw, then used a chop saw to slot them that width. Trimmed and rounded the edges on a grinder to somewhat match the shield. Held the lexan up to the mounts and marked the holes, then drilled them.

So far it is working perfect, I'll do a little cleaner job on the final deflector. Want to see how this holds up for a while first.

Hope this helps somebody out there!

DT

Just a note - if anybody does something like this, make sure you don't have the airflow deflected away from the motor. Mine is bent high enough to allow air to still hit everything.

Attached Thumbnails Harley windshield buffeting - experimenting tonight.-w-mod1.jpg   Harley windshield buffeting - experimenting tonight.-w-mod2.jpg   Harley windshield buffeting - experimenting tonight.-w-mod3.jpg   Harley windshield buffeting - experimenting tonight.-w-mod4.jpg  

Last edited by dtfly; 07-09-2011 at 04:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dtfly:
cacomly (05-02-2018), kbireta (06-19-2018)
Old 07-11-2011, 08:37 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I modded my QD windshield like that a couple years ago (posted a thread with pics). I bought Memphis Shades lowers and mounted them to the QD windshield. Helped to solve the buffetting about 60%.

The other fix was to saw about 1.5" off the top. Someone posted a thread, with tons of pics, on a good way to do that and make it look good. So I followed his method, which helped me preserve the original curve/profile. That fix probably could have solved it all by itself, in retrospect. I wear a full-face on the slab, so when the windshield air hits just below my helmet and my head is in "clean" air, no buffetting.

But now the lowers are part of the windshield......pretty sweet.

These days I don't use the windshield much, but when I do, it's pretty nice.