Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile HD service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:59 AM
xbdonx
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the serious replies. So far I have worked on my car myself, I've changed the starter, oil, transmission fluids, changed break pads etc. But it's an automatic I have never had to adjust a clutch I've never had a throttle to adjust being as it is a car, Never had to align a wheel, check fork fluid. I don't know much about bikes but I would really like to learn. I was just wondering if the 1000 mile tune up was a good place to start of if I should start from here on out. Basically only take it back if something seriously wrong happens that I can't figure out.

Last edited by xbdonx; 08-09-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:28 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

If you're in the No Va area or near Fredericksburg, try these guys. Top notch service from Harley Davidson factory trained tech. I've known Brian for about 5 years, worked with him for a year and a half, and I've never heard anything but the truth come out of his mouth. He'll treat you fair. He's trusted to perform fleet services, too.

http://oldetownecycle.com/

Name:  OldeTowneCycle.jpg
Views: 8561
Size:  18.6 KB

Name:  OldeTowneCycle2.jpg
Views: 8499
Size:  12.9 KB

Old 08-09-2011, 04:47 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crazy how many different prices I've heard for the 1K service.
I paid $178 for mine, $197 after taxes.
$46 in parts and oil, and $132 for 2 hours of labor.

They found a quirk in my ignition that I'd definitely have missed. It's been back in twice, and while they still haven't figured it out, they're still trying at no cost to me. I prefer to do my own work, but for the 1K wanted another set of eyes on it.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:56 PM
ken rox
Cruiser

first get a service manual. it is 'the' manual.
and here's good vid series on how to make your service on the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZqfSsrjh8

dellboy rulez!

Old 08-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am still waiting to receive my new 883 Iron, but before I bought it I asked about the first service, which I was told is at 1600 km or 1000 miles ( I live in Victoria BC, Canada) and I was told it would run me about $400. I thought this was excessive and asked what they do and I was told oil change and a complete go over of the whole bike checking nuts and bolts as well.

I still think $400 is a rip off. My new car only cost me $150 for its first service.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by xbdonx
thanks for the serious replies. So far I have worked on my car myself, I've changed the starter, oil, transmission fluids, changed break pads etc. But it's an automatic I have never had to adjust a clutch I've never had a throttle to adjust being as it is a car, Never had to align a wheel, check fork fluid. I don't know much about bikes but I would really like to learn. I was just wondering if the 1000 mile tune up was a good place to start of if I should start from here on out. Basically only take it back if something seriously wrong happens that I can't figure out.
If you do not see fluid around the forks, it's OK, change it as per the manual but will not hurt if you never changed it. no alignment on your bike unless you take tire off rear. If you need to snug belt, get a $30 gage and adjust both sides equal. Once you have a service manual the clutch and lever adjustment is simple and after the first time unless you are a hot rodder will go 10K no problem. Mine has not changed in 20K. Be sure you have proper torx bits if your bike has them. They should be tight in the bolts or the screw heads will strip out since harley puts thread lock on all those small fastners on the covers. Be very careful not to over tighten them, just snug up to the gasket and just a tweak more. Recheck when hot after you first ride. Will not have any trouble with leaks and most important not break off any bolts. I never use thread loctite on any maintance cover that has a gasket since my Softail does not vibrate. You may need too.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:25 PM
SilverStride
Intermediate

I'm new to the site and new to the HD's,sorry for you all i must be lucky! I just came off of a Suzuki SFV 650, a Duc Monster for half the price. I got a 2011 xl1200c in silver and the first 1k service free at Brunswick HD, NY. I didn't see that a Suzuki dealer so I had a smile on! I gotta say after this thread I'm feeling I got some kind of deal.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:48 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

It is about $300 in the Milwaukee area. West Bend area is $230. Both dealerships. This is with regular oil or $25 and $15 more to use synthetic. I think the difference is the location with respect to their costs.

As far as voiding the warranty, I kinda take a "Yes and No" approach. If you didn't do the service or toss your receipts and they can claim that if you had done the service this would not have happened, etc, etc, they might have an issue. Obviously if your independent guy puts the wrong fluid in, good luck to you. Have I seen mechanics that start up an engine forgetting to put oil or later find out they put trans fluid in the crankcase? Sure. I saw a tech happily put trans fluid. Obviously I stopped him too late. He said he put in the right stuff but the dipstick was red. Oops, sorry.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:34 AM
WVNightster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn 1K service is free here.Get a service manual and check out the Fix My Hog DVD.The DVD is a good supplement to the service manual.I'll do what I can to my bike but I have a buddy that runs a Indy shop for major work.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Melonbob
Cruiser

Just to fan the flames a bit. My dealer told me along the same lines that I'm hearing here....the first service has to be done by dealer. He told me that before I even laid any money down on the bike. His argument was that the whole bike is given a go over. He did say after the first service, you can do as you wish, just make sure you keep records and receipts. Now I'll probably keep going to them as long as they don't gouge me, its pretty remote up here, and he's the only dealer within a 15hr drive.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile HD service?