Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile HD service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 06:28 AM
jwarrene
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwegryn
WOW!!! You may want to try a different dealer nearby if that's an option. I paid $225 with tax for both my 1K and 5K services and they used synthetic oil. To further answer your question, they do change the fluids. They also check things like cables, brakes, tires, and also just make sure everything is tightened and/or adjusted properly. I'm having my dealer do my services until at least the warranty is up, then I know for sure I have proof that they were done just in case any problems should arise.

Same here!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:15 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My dealer quoted me $225-$250 depending what oil I want.

If you document everything you can do it yourself (save receipts) and they cannot legally void your warranty unless you screw it up. See the Magnusson-Moss act.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I checked with a couple of dealers here in Canada for my 1000 mile service and they were both almost $400 canadian. A real rip off it seems.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
I checked with a couple of dealers here in Canada for my 1000 mile service and they were both almost $400 canadian. A real rip off it seems.
All the Canadian dealers are under the thumb of the Canadian H-D importer, so it is no surprise they have a 'common' charging policy.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:00 PM
rideitlikeustoleit
Novice

It cost around $86 bucks for 6qts synthetic, filter, gasket, O rings for changing oil, primary, & tranny. I've got 2010 FLHRC and I do all the service work myself, including changing tires etc. Harley will keep you broke and parked if allow them to do you service jobs.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:03 PM
gfburke
Tourer

Just did mine. Very happy with it.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 PM
70MarineDoc
Stage II

I am at 1600 and I am just about to schedule my 1000 mile maintenance check. Hope it does not cause a problem if they are **** like with the warranty...lol!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Wmalini
Stage I
Default A fair feedback

HI! Im in Brooklyn NYC and just bought a 2005 sportster XL 1200 Custom, it has less than 3K and I wanted to get serviced in order to get a professional opnion as to the condiction of the bike.
Took the bike over to our local dealer ( Northen Blvd. ) and I was way satistfied with their service. The service center (George and Alex W.) are extremely professional and took their time to talk to me for over an hourv on every detail and questions I had. These guys knowhow and overall understand of Harley makes you feel really confident that you are getting the best service on your bike.
Anyhow, the 1K service recomended was told to be bet $300 to $350 when we were done doing paper work the bill was set at $465 including extra parts, extra labor hour etc etc... now, here's the thing, can I really complaint on paying an extra $100 or so? They are giving me the peace of mind that my bike is being looked at from point A to Z, plus the history of the service stays on their database which is good if you ever want to sell it or trade. I really wanted to stay within the $300 mark but I was like, you know, let it be since their are so professional, really welcomed me as a new customer etc etc... Overall I'm satisfied. By the way Im getting the bike tomorrow and will see what the difference is like after serviced. I'll post another follow up reply. Hope this helps... Cheers and ride safe guys !

Old 07-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Punisherdave
Cruiser

Just to add another "it has to go to the dealer" thats all a line of bs so they can get your business. You can go anywhere you like just keep a record of your receipts and keep up on scheduled maintenance.

I work at a car dealership. Just like if your car oil cap says use only mobil 5w20...they cant force you to use that specific brand or even that viscosity and they cant void your warranty for it.

Just a heads up to shop around cuz i wouldn't pay $400 for an oil change and inspection

Old 07-27-2012, 08:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Punisherdave
Just to add another "it has to go to the dealer" thats all a line of bs so they can get your business. You can go anywhere you like just keep a record of your receipts and keep up on scheduled maintenance.
I agree with that, but I would make an observation. It is a common theme in a large number of the threads here on HDF, across all bikes, that even the new owners of very recent bikes seem to get no paperwork with them at all, not even the owners manual.

So I really question how many owners maintain decent records and pass them on to the next owner. I've always done it, but I have serious doubts, on behalf of the future owners of secondhand bikes, that such advice is going to do any good.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile HD service?