Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile HD service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:04 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog85
Finally hit 1K and took the IRON in for service. I ended up paying $305 w/ synthetic oil. The only thing I was unhappy about was that I went in with a clean bike and it came out an oily, hand prints all over mess. They couldn't have just graved some Windex and wipe it down, come on!

I am curious after the service I feel the IRON a bit stiffer and it almost feels like the bar shakes a bit more than usual on the highway. Anyone else notice there scoot feel different after their service???
SOP at any dealer I've been to for service, is that they wash the bike before returning it to the customer. Who was the dealer?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1k was $225 but I had HD points that covered it so no biggie. However I'm due for my 5k, does anyone know what that one costs, and if so is it as critical as the 1k provided the oil has been changed regularly already?

Old 08-09-2014, 01:35 PM
mdbullet223
Intermediate

I just called my local HD dealer and asked what it would cost for my 1000 mile service and he told me it would be between 200.00 to 225.00 and that includes synthetic oil. So I might go to them for the first one and get a service manual and start to study it. Dave

Old 08-09-2014, 03:15 PM
AGSURFR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Orlando HD

I was quoted "starting at $475" for the 1k for a Dyna. Really? Fluid changes, making sure nothing is loose and a test ride?

Yes I can do the fluid changes myself, but I like to have another set of eyes look things over. Found a indie shop that changed out everything to syn fluids for under $200. And he let me stay with him while the bike was up on the lift and showed me everything he did.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:27 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I just picked my new Sportster today. The service manager gave me a coupon for $50 off on the 1000 mile service. That will make it $190 when its due.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:52 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
I just completed my 5k service (all 21 things that I am supposed to to inspect/change) according to my service manual. Doing it for the very first time it did take me around 8 hrs in total spread across 3 weekends.

There is nothing that any person with a common sense and a little mechanical inclination can't do. Only tricky thing is to find what are all the "critical fasteners" that you are supposed to check.

I saved around $300 that are possibly being re-invested into a wide-glide conversion kit ...

Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 582 Posts

And this is one reason why I love Garage Queens and Barn Finds: no BS warranty worries. Get the manuals, get the videos, do it yourself, check your fluid levels frequently, then 500 miles later do it all again, and again at another 500 miles, and keep on repeating the process until you can do it without the manuals and with your eyes closed.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:58 AM
DevilDog85
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cHarley
SOP at any dealer I've been to for service, is that they wash the bike before returning it to the customer. Who was the dealer?
I took it in to WILDFIRE HD in Villa Park, IL

Aside from the wobble I feel in the bars on the highway I noticed that after about 50 mi. oil is seeping out through either the chrome pin shown in the pic or the actual clutch cable. Both have oil by them but I can’t tell where it's coming from. Either way calling the dealer today and asking them WTF?

Attached Thumbnails 1000 mile HD service?-photo-8.jpg   1000 mile HD service?-photo-9.jpg  
Old 09-19-2014, 03:48 PM
colonelcrow
Stage I

Originally Posted by AGSURFR
I was quoted "starting at $475" for the 1k for a Dyna. Really? Fluid changes, making sure nothing is loose and a test ride?

Yes I can do the fluid changes myself, but I like to have another set of eyes look things over. Found a indie shop that changed out everything to syn fluids for under $200. And he let me stay with him while the bike was up on the lift and showed me everything he did.
Which one did you go to? I thought I remembered it being around $500. I've been meaning to check with Seminole Harley for their prices. I know I like the employees there better but what I cant do myself or isn't warranty theres a bunch of great indy shops around: Southern Cycles up in Apopka those guys are great. Moine(sp?) and then Pete over in longwood at chopper design. Great guys. There's so many good shops around I cringe when I see people going to the dealerships.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:33 PM
AGSURFR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by colonelcrow
Which one did you go to? I thought I remembered it being around $500. I've been meaning to check with Seminole Harley for their prices. I know I like the employees there better but what I cant do myself or isn't warranty theres a bunch of great indy shops around: Southern Cycles up in Apopka those guys are great. Moine(sp?) and then Pete over in longwood at chopper design. Great guys. There's so many good shops around I cringe when I see people going to the dealerships.

Found Cycle Pro on Yelp. Just a few miles from my place. There was a $10 coupon on Yelp for checking in also. Came to $184 and change.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile HD service?