Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile HD service?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 AM
xbdonx
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 mile HD service?

So I hit the 1000 mile mark on my brand new 883 (yay!) and its time to get the service. I called and made the appointment and they want to pay 375 dollars!!! I don't make THAT much money, that being said is there anything special they do to it that I can't do to it myself? I'd rather spend 150 dollars in supplies and do it myself than pay more than double and have them do it. I can work on cars a little bit but I don't know what else goes into bikes being as this is my first one. Other than changing transmission fluid and oil, what goes into it? Throttle? Clutch? Any specifics on what I need to do, links on how to do it myself, or if the 'service' is worth it or not would be highly appreciated. Stories on if you did it yourself would be awesome too. Thank you!

Also I am interested in horror stories that follow!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I would have thought they would have spelt the costs out when you collected the bike, so it really shouldn't be a surprise. The service schedule is in your handbook. If you do decide to service your bike get the factory service manual. It is a great read for those sleepless nights!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW!!! You may want to try a different dealer nearby if that's an option. I paid $225 with tax for both my 1K and 5K services and they used synthetic oil. To further answer your question, they do change the fluids. They also check things like cables, brakes, tires, and also just make sure everything is tightened and/or adjusted properly. I'm having my dealer do my services until at least the warranty is up, then I know for sure I have proof that they were done just in case any problems should arise.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:57 AM
xbdonx
Novice

The price they told me was 300, I called today to confirm and they said after taxes and everything with regular oil it was 375? Horse sh*t. Anyway, I would rather take it to a local shop and give them my money but I read somewhere that if the 1000 mile service is not performed at the dealership then it voids the warranty. Is there any truth to that seeing as the mechanic is supposed to "sign" your owners book

Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure location dictates what dealers will charge (i.e Beverly Hills vs. Cleveland). Not sure about the book, mine hasn't been signed, but I also never brought it up to the dealer. But they have in the computer exactly what was done each visit. I couldn't remember which fork oil I had them put in last summer, but in 5 seconds they had my answer. I figure I'll dish out the extra money for the first couple years as insurance while it's under warranty. This way they were the only ones that touched the bike if something were to go wrong.

Last edited by mwegryn; 08-09-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 AM
stsid1
3rd Gear

Welcome to the Harley TAX.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 AM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off: Don't let anyone give you the H-D warranty BS.

Secondly: DEFINITELY get the Factory Service Manual if you intend to do your services, and hopefully you have the proper tools.

I took mine in for a "partial" 1k service, so that I could have someone more familiar with the bike go over the critical fasteners, test the electrical components and look for any possible "known but not disclosed" type of issues that may be common with the model. This is my first H-D so I went with the overly-cautious approach. Set me back $150.

I changed the fluids, checked the primary chain tension, adjusted the clutch, went over the brake components, checked the plugs, and went over the exhaust.

oil and trans fluids: $30
Filter: $10
Factory Service Manual: $60
Quad ring and gaskets: $5 or less.

Total 1k service without cost of manual or tool expenses: $195.

My biggest issue was that I didn't have enough SAE tools, and no bike lift.

Horror stories?...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...t-my-bike.html

With new horror stories, that work out because of good people...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ealership.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-48-w-pic.html

I will be doing 99.9% of all work on my bike going forward, even if I have to wait to get specialty tools.

The following users liked this post:
Bdeuce12 (10-07-2019)
Old 08-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Since you have to ask, guess you do not work on cars and such. You need to know what you are doing. A service manual helps but even it can be lacking if you do not know the basics. Most stuff does not even need to be done but you need to be able to look and tell if it does. Get the manual, the proper tools and shop 101. I enjoy doing it, been doing it for 46 years.If it bother you getting your hands dirty, work overtime and pay someone. Also, do not let any one fool you, the maintenance is not a problem but going into a primary or such is a pain. Check my albums. I personal think a lawyer said a Harley need a 1000 mile check. Never had a new Harley but my last new bike(1100 Yamaha called for 600 mile check) I did at 10K. Everything was spot on including the solid lifters at exactly factor speck within .001

Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 AM
gfburke
Tourer

I'm coming up on my 1K as well. I did the 500 myself.. just changing the oil.
I need to get the service manual, because all i have is the owners manual. I'll do it myself.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:47 AM
gfburke
Tourer

Has someone made a post with direct links to everything needed for different mile services? As in, amazon shopping list to make it real easy? If not, i'll make one once I go through it once.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1000 mile HD service?