Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Step by Step with photos: DK coil and ignition relocate with wire tuck, no lift.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Glenpocalypse
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I am probably going to do this soon because I just can't stand that plastic piece on my Iron. I also really like the way the coil and key relocation cleans up the area above the front rocker box.

I'm not crazy about running the wires along the side of the backbone like you have done but it is nice to see that it works and does an effective job of hiding the wires. I think I will go for the top of the backbone without a tank lift by getting rid of the plastic connectors.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:39 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenpocalypse
Thanks for the write up. I am probably going to do this soon because I just can't stand that plastic piece on my Iron. I also really like the way the coil and key relocation cleans up the area above the front rocker box.

I'm not crazy about running the wires along the side of the backbone like you have done but it is nice to see that it works and does an effective job of hiding the wires. I think I will go for the top of the backbone without a tank lift by getting rid of the plastic connectors.
That is a fine method from what I hear, just make sure to label everything really carefully so you don't cross any wires.

After talking with DK about this, it turns out that a basic 1.5" lift is enough to get pretty much all of the wiring AND connectors up under the tank, and you only lose about 1/8 of a gallon capacity, that is just a few miles.

I'm happy with what I did, but I may go back in at some point and just throw the small 1.5 lift on it and get them all up out of sight completely, might make that a winter project.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Hey DK: Feel free to use any and all of these photos or this entire writeup on your website, promotional literature, etc...
Great write up and pics! We'll definitely be referencing your write up and pics.

Your bike is looking good! Look forward to seeing after you get your brake line and risers done too!

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-09-2011, 01:16 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Yup, I'll probably do the brake line and risers next week and I'll post a similar pictorial step by step for that as well.

Heck that is an even easier job, drain the front m/c and line, unbolt old line, bolt on new line, fill and bleed the system until its air free.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:43 PM
gfburke
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so doing this! thanks man
(now you have to re-do your sig pic )

Last edited by gfburke; 09-09-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad you found it useful.

Its a pretty easy job, just take your time and at each step, try to think one step ahead to see if you need to do something else.

For example, its a lot easier to wrap the ignition wires *before* you mount it to the new mounting plate.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Rev. V!
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Great write up!!!!

So, because we ALL go through this once we're done with something...heh...-

Now that you've done it, what would you do differently next time?
Anything?

I'll be doing this to my bike in the very near future, so your how-to is making my life a lot easier and worry free, thanks!!!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:53 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rev. V!
Great write up!!!!

So, because we ALL go through this once we're done with something...heh...-

Now that you've done it, what would you do differently next time?
Anything?

I'll be doing this to my bike in the very near future, so your how-to is making my life a lot easier and worry free, thanks!!!!!
I would have started with Rescue Tape instead of black electrical tape.

I'm going to go back in and remove the electrical tape, and replace it with rescue tape.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:25 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

As I mentioned in a previous post, I broke out the tools again today and swapped in the new Magnum black pearl +4" front brake line and put on my 1.5" riser inserts.

WOW.

Not only does the new brake line feel firmer and give better response, but it looks way better, and the risers transform the bike in terms of comfort.

I should have done this on day one. The bike feels so much better with the risers in place, and I think it actually looks a lot better too.

Between the coil/ignition relocate, wire tuck, and these risers, this bike looks so much nicer than it did in stock form.

Pics and a new thread coming tomorrow.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:15 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Hey DK: Feel free to use any and all of these photos or this entire writeup on your website, promotional literature, etc...

Got your write up and pics post on our facebook page for easy reference.

Will be putting some of the pics up on the website soon.

Thanks!

Kevin

Quick Reply: DIY Step by Step with photos: DK coil and ignition relocate with wire tuck, no lift.