Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red key light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:22 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Red key light?

I know, I know... there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers... but this might qualify, so forgive me.

Whenever I turn the Nightster on, there is a flash of a red key on the warning light cluster, just for a second. What does this mean? Does the Sportster have (standard or optional) a security system like the bigger Harleys? There was no fob with the bike when I bought it, and it never has missed a beat. Just has me curious.
If there is an alarm or security system installed, can I get a fob from the dealer and have it programmed? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 AM
Aaron48
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I beleive when you turn the key to the "ON" position you will hear a Beep right before you start the bike. If it beeps you have a security system.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:52 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Thanks Aaron. No beep that I heard. Wonder why there is a light if there is no security system?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You don't say what year your bike is, but my 2011 UK spec SuperLow has an alarm system and a fob. When the fob is close to the bike, or in the lock, that red light winks. I suspect the facility for an alarm is built into all modern Harleys which is why you can see that light. Have you checked your owners handbook?!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

TMP; the red key on your speedo has two purposes:

1. Security indicator, for bikes w/this installed option
2. Service code indicator - reports/displays service codes from system computer.

In your case - I believe #2 is the correct answer...

Old 09-28-2011, 06:30 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron48
I beleive when you turn the key to the "ON" position you will hear a Beep right before you start the bike. If it beeps you have a security system.
Not necessarily. I have a security system and mine doesn't beep.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:37 AM
ahthisguyhere
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the answer for you. okay the turn signal module under the battery infront of the back tire can be switched out for one with alarm option. the key blink is to show that the tsm is in working order. if the key lights up and stays lit then somethings wrong with the tsm. i just had this issue a month ago with a broken power wire to the tsm, i could jump the starter and the bike would start up and run but i couldnt start it threw the switches. i also had no turn signals either.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ahthisguyhere
i got the answer for you. okay the turn signal module under the battery infront of the back tire can be switched out for one with alarm option. the key blink is to show that the tsm is in working order. if the key lights up and stays lit then somethings wrong with the tsm. i just had this issue a month ago with a broken power wire to the tsm, i could jump the starter and the bike would start up and run but i couldnt start it threw the switches. i also had no turn signals either.
Learned me something already today and it's only 8:27am. Thx.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Thanks guys! Great answers, I learned something too, and early in the morning, to boot! I usually hate that.

Iceman: A service indicator makes sense, too. I just figured any DTCs would be sent through the service light, not the key light.

Ahthisguyhere: Great info! I appreciate that! Yup, that is exactly what it is doing, just a flash and she's off.

GRBrown: Sorry, it is a 2007 Nightster.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Not necessarily. I have a security system and mine doesn't beep.
Nore does mine. The 2008 1220C I had did nto beep. If you have the security system the key light blinks when the bike is parked and the fob is not around it-let people know you have a security system.

Quick Reply: Red key light?