Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter will not engage. New starter, cables, battery

Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 PM
parichar
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter will not engage. New starter, cables, battery

I replaced my starter and cannot get the new one to engage. When I first put everything back together it started one time. I drove around the block, turned it off and the starter would not engage. I found a bad positive cable and replaced it. No good. I replaced the negative cable. The starter engaged once. Then nothing again. I replaced the battery. Still nothing. All of the lights work and I can hear the relay and the solenoid click. But the starter does nothing. I am at my wits end. Could the relay, or switch be bad if the solenoid is engaging?
After I first put the new starter on and found issues I took the solenoid cover off and tried to manually engage the solenoid. It did nothing. Is there a specific position the solenoid needs to be in? Could I have done something if the solenoid rotated (spun) when trying to engage it?
I am getting 11.5 volts at the hot wire to the starter(the one in the plug at bottom of starter).

Old 09-30-2011, 08:19 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by parichar
I replaced my starter and cannot get the new one to engage. When I first put everything back together it started one time. I drove around the block, turned it off and the starter would not engage. I found a bad positive cable and replaced it. No good. I replaced the negative cable. The starter engaged once. Then nothing again. I replaced the battery. Still nothing. All of the lights work and I can hear the relay and the solenoid click. But the starter does nothing. I am at my wits end. Could the relay, or switch be bad if the solenoid is engaging?
After I first put the new starter on and found issues I took the solenoid cover off and tried to manually engage the solenoid. It did nothing. Is there a specific position the solenoid needs to be in? Could I have done something if the solenoid rotated (spun) when trying to engage it?
I am getting 11.5 volts at the hot wire to the starter(the one in the plug at bottom of starter).
What voltage do you have if you measure across the battery terminals?
A fully charged battery should measure 12.8 VDC. If it measures less than 12.8 volts, you need to charge the battery.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:29 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1. Try charging the battery. A healthy battery will read above 12.5 volts. If its below this after being charged, then you may need to replace the battery.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:11 AM
DENGUY
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somewhere along the line check your whole charging system.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:08 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
What voltage do you have if you measure across the battery terminals?
A fully charged battery should measure 12.8 VDC. If it measures less than 12.8 volts, you need to charge the battery.
Originally Posted by WRAITH
+1. Try charging the battery. A healthy battery will read above 12.5 volts. If its below this after being charged, then you may need to replace the battery.
+2...... New batteries are usually not fully charged...

If its not the battery or the battery seems to not be charging then you need to troubleshoot your charging system.....

Old 10-01-2011, 02:33 PM
erbilabuc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the relay is clicking but bike isn't starting then your relay is not "throwing its pole" completely so it means relay is bad or just might be rusty.