Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:02 PM
jockeyshiftjoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Opinions

Hey Guys,
I've been talking to another forum member on here about the woodburning I do in my spare time. When I've got a little free time at home I do some burnings and I'll put them up in the shop, or at swap meets for sale. I started it as a hobby but then I noticed that some people were trying to sell pieces similar to mine in size and detail for $150 and up, I thought that was silly, I only sell mine for $25 for the small plagues, and $30 for the larger ones. But anyways, the reason Im posting on here is because I'd like to look into making either air cleaner cover plates,floorboards, backrest fillers, or even just little accent pieces for the sportys. Was hoping some of yall on here could throw some ideas or options at me, here is a few of the pieces I've done. Best Wishes Guys, -Joe

Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

Interesting idea. Wood on a bike is a tough thing to do. It will have to withstand the elements and be treated in some way shape or form every couple of years with some type of clear coat. It also has to withstand the vibrations. They should probably be mounted with rubber washers or something.

I have been contemplating incorporating some wood into my bike considering that is what I do for a living. I made a wood shifter **** and everyone that saw it said it had to go "wood dosen't belong on a bike". And it was only a small egg shaped shift ****! Lately I have been trying to figure out how to pull off an air cleaner cover that will withstand the oil, heat and the elements and still be cool.

An A/C insert would be too thin to hold up IMO. Floor board inserts would require an incredible amount of attention and care because of the wear.

I would like to make a fuse box cover, a headlight trim ring, maybe a gas cap cover and a A/C cover.

John

Old 10-10-2011, 04:29 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks awesome Joe! You have a TON of talent! My props to you for what God has given you! Heck, I have used woodburning kits before and am very familiar with the 6" cord that they come with- so my props also for not burning the house down! I am going to start fabricating some things here in the next week or so, would love to have you do what we had discussed! After it is all done, I plan on sealing them up really well so they will not get damage by the elements. As for wood not belonging on a bike, there is really only one thing that belongs on my bike, and that is me, therefore what I want goes.
I might have to look into some air cleaner covers or appliques, I will be glad to send you down some and see what you can do.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 PM
jockeyshiftjoe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Looks awesome Joe! You have a TON of talent! My props to you for what God has given you! Heck, I have used woodburning kits before and am very familiar with the 6" cord that they come with- so my props also for not burning the house down! I am going to start fabricating some things here in the next week or so, would love to have you do what we had discussed! After it is all done, I plan on sealing them up really well so they will not get damage by the elements. As for wood not belonging on a bike, there is really only one thing that belongs on my bike, and that is me, therefore what I want goes.
I might have to look into some air cleaner covers or appliques, I will be glad to send you down some and see what you can do.
Thanks again Rob,
lol I hear you on the cord, I use a drop cord myself, I usually have the end of the cord infront of me that way I have the full length of the burner's cable to work with instead of laying in the floor at the wall.
I'd also have to disagree with the wood not belonging on a bike deal, Considering this is widely considered as "The World's 1st Motorcycle"

lol and when you think about it, a nicely stained wood almost resembles weathered leather, and to top it all off if the sport bike fellas have plastic bits, why can't we have wood?
Also Im not too worried about heat, with a good quality varnish it'll hold up, I've seen a few mantles for fire places done without any trouble

Last edited by jockeyshiftjoe; 10-10-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Bagger Jim
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Really nice work Joe!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup! The ol' 1885, if I am not mistaken. I guess it could be claimed as the first Mercedes, too.

Incidentally, I would be careful of using wood on bikes due to the elements... not like trees outside haven't been made of the stuff for centuries, or anything. lol (I kid, Woodworking1... I kid! We keep all our trees outdoors around here.)

Old 10-10-2011, 06:15 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe with your talent why don't you try to do some metal etchings. Shouldn't be that much of a transistion for you.

Great work, expand your horizons

Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

What sort of woodworking do you do? Do you have any examples? You may have just gotten some business for the holiday season if you're interest

Old 10-10-2011, 06:51 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

With all due respect Joe, varnish does nothing to protect the wood from heat transfer in the long run. Drying and cracking is what happens when wood is directly exposed to enough heat to get it hot but not hot enough to burn. Varnishes by nature tend to yellow over time. You might consider trying a laquer based finish.

I'm not saying it won't work or don't do it. I just know there is going to be some trial and error in the clear coat and fabrication process.

I'm gonna fab some parts and experiment out of some exotics as soon as I have some free space in my shop. I will let you know what I find out.

Superfly...if youre talking to me. I am a cabinet maker. I run a full service custom cabinet and millwork shop. PM me and I will connect you to my website.

Last edited by woodworking1; 10-10-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Awesome work Joe !!! The guy in the following link disagrees with wood not belonging on a sportster,

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/2624139485.html

I agree with the other forum member about trying to etch your work on metal ...

Last edited by joebotics; 10-10-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Some Opinions