Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new clean handlebars ....

Old 01-08-2012, 10:26 PM
joker3300
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joebotics
For the trip to Sturgis I installed 12'' mini apes, and combined a gel seat pad with an Airhawk Medium Cruiser seat cushion (even then my *** was on fire after riding for so many miles / days, Miami FL to Sturgis and back... ) although the mini apes provided great comfort for such long distances (I can't imagine anybody being able to ride with inverted handlebars for so many miles and such rough conditions: extreme heat, crosswinds, 18 wheelers)... the mini apes were quite sensitive to windy conditions.. in areas with high 18 wheeler traffic my scooter was all over the place.. I had to grab the handlebars so hard that my arms and shoulders were in awful pain all day.. the mini apes also made my front end wobble real bad in high winds conditions above 65 MPH....

I also installed a 1.3 gallon auxiliary tank typically used on dirt bikes (Acerbis brand: http://www.amazon.com/Acerbis-Front-.../dp/B000VSGERY ) ... I followed this thread by Bacon_Grease to connect the auxiliary tank to the main tank so it automatically draws gas from the extra tank into the main tank (thanks Bacon_Grease!!):

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...sportster.html

this auxiliary tank arrangement gave me about 160 miles between stops... pretty cool huh??...

Here is a pic of my bike with the extra seat padding, 12'' mini apes and the auxiliary tank on top of the gas tank inside a tank bag that I secured to the bike using rope so it does not go flying when I hit a bump on the highway (I took this picture right before heading back to Miami FL from Buffalo Chip campground in Sturgis):

Although not related to this thread.. here is the picture I like the most from the trip ( Devils Tower Monument, the first American monument):

I just noticed that your Airhawk looked fully inflated. Did you ride to Sturgis and back with it full? Just curious because you're supposed to sit on it and let out almost all of the air so it will distribute your weight. Much more comfortable. BTW I absolutely love the rear tails mounted that low. Looks badass. Good job!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:02 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by joker3300
I just noticed that your Airhawk looked fully inflated. Did you ride to Sturgis and back with it full? Just curious because you're supposed to sit on it and let out almost all of the air so it will distribute your weight. Much more comfortable. BTW I absolutely love the rear tails mounted that low. Looks badass. Good job!
hey Joker... yeah.. you are supposed to ride with minimum air gap.. but my spring seat had no padding... basically bare metal on a 5400 round-trip ride... fvcking tough as hell... over-inflated Air-hawk is not an issue on long distance straight highways... it is crazy out of control in the twisties... I just had to play with it depending on the ride.. (tip: over-inflated long distance straight high-ways.. good!!!!!... twisties local riding once you get there: thick gel pad..)

Old 01-09-2012, 12:30 AM
SkullSquadron
6th Gear
Default nice work

hey i saw that you mentioned demon cycle works. is that the same as demoncycles.com? i was thinking of buying a ape kit from them, seeing as they are the cheapest ive found so far. but i was wondering if their products were any good.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:37 AM
mrammo
Intermediate

bike looks badass,love it.no chrome even better

Old 12-20-2014, 11:32 AM
pofflero
Stage I

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I realize it's been a while since the last post but I really like the handlebar setup you have and I'd like to do something similar. What I'm wondering is how you were able to route the front brake cable through the bars with the internal throttle in place. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:08 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Glad to see what you have done. That's the way bikers did it back in my day (I'm 74)

You are in my book of hero's with your ride to Sturgis and setting the bike up for the trip. Who needs a big barge with trunks and saddlebags?

I'm sure your are smart enough to keep tabs on the system you created. Don't concern yourself with the worry wart nannies.

Ride on brother!!!