Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new clean handlebars ....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:48 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by X04D
Looks badass. I love the creativity. Where did you put the controls (signals, hi/low, etc)?

Also, you had a write up, if I remember correctly, on how you mounted and wired your rear signals?
thanks!... so far I only have the turn signals relocated under the speedo using a two way momentary switch... bike power and starter button are relocated under the battery cover... gotta work on horn.. kill switch...

ohh... the rear signals... nope... no write up... somebody else did it... I will try to find it and post a link here...

Old 10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hell yeah, Joe. I always look forward to your posts. One of the most unique mods I've seen. BRAVO!

Last edited by streetfighter06; 10-18-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by poisonthesteve
that bike is badass man. i love it. please tell me you wear that mask while riding.
I do wear the mask while riding indeed!!!.. everybody gets a kick out of it.. specially kids... they take pictures while driving past me... :-)

Here is a pic I took with a GoPro camera on my way to Sturgis...

Name:  GOPR0425.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  110.9 KB

Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What changes(if any) did you make to the bike to go all the way to Sturgis and back?

Old 10-18-2011, 03:22 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by YOURADHERE
What changes(if any) did you make to the bike to go all the way to Sturgis and back?
For the trip to Sturgis I installed 12'' mini apes, and combined a gel seat pad with an Airhawk Medium Cruiser seat cushion (even then my *** was on fire after riding for so many miles / days, Miami FL to Sturgis and back... ) although the mini apes provided great comfort for such long distances (I can't imagine anybody being able to ride with inverted handlebars for so many miles and such rough conditions: extreme heat, crosswinds, 18 wheelers)... the mini apes were quite sensitive to windy conditions.. in areas with high 18 wheeler traffic my scooter was all over the place.. I had to grab the handlebars so hard that my arms and shoulders were in awful pain all day.. the mini apes also made my front end wobble real bad in high winds conditions above 65 MPH....

I also installed a 1.3 gallon auxiliary tank typically used on dirt bikes (Acerbis brand: http://www.amazon.com/Acerbis-Front-.../dp/B000VSGERY ) ... I followed this thread by Bacon_Grease to connect the auxiliary tank to the main tank so it automatically draws gas from the extra tank into the main tank (thanks Bacon_Grease!!):

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...sportster.html

this auxiliary tank arrangement gave me about 160 miles between stops... pretty cool huh??...

Here is a pic of my bike with the extra seat padding, 12'' mini apes and the auxiliary tank on top of the gas tank inside a tank bag that I secured to the bike using rope so it does not go flying when I hit a bump on the highway (I took this picture right before heading back to Miami FL from Buffalo Chip campground in Sturgis):

Name:  WP_000160.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  275.7 KB

Although not related to this thread.. here is the picture I like the most from the trip ( Devils Tower Monument, the first American monument):

Name:  devils2.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  179.0 KB

Last edited by joebotics; 10-18-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:33 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think that brake mod is a horrible idea, I just hope it doesn't cause you to wreck.

I applaud your creativity, but this is a motorcycle, not a lawnmower. If you mess up, the cost is VERY high.

For example:

You cannot easily function check your master cylinder in that position.

A leak from the master cylinder would be much harder to spot.

A rock kicked up from the highway has a much higher chance of hitting it in its new location.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:51 PM
HERE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by joebotics
For the trip to Sturgis I installed 12'' mini apes, and combined a gel seat pad with an Airhawk Medium Cruiser seat cushion (even then my *** was on fire after riding for so many miles / days, Miami FL to Sturgis and back... ) although the mini apes provided great comfort for such long distances (I can't imagine anybody being able to ride with inverted handlebars for so many miles and such rough conditions: extreme heat, crosswinds, 18 wheelers)... the mini apes were quite sensitive to windy conditions.. in areas with high 18 wheeler traffic my scooter was all over the place.. I had to grab the handlebars so hard that my arms and shoulders were in awful pain all day.. the mini apes also made my front end wobble real bad in high winds conditions above 65 MPH....

I also installed a 1.3 gallon auxiliary tank typically used on dirt bikes (Acerbis brand: http://www.amazon.com/Acerbis-Front-.../dp/B000VSGERY ) ... I followed this thread by Bacon_Grease to connect the auxiliary tank to the main tank so it automatically draws gas from the extra tank into the main tank (thanks Bacon_Grease!!):

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...sportster.html

this auxiliary tank arrangement gave me about 160 miles between stops... pretty cool huh??...

Here is a pic of my bike with the extra seat padding, 12'' mini apes and the auxiliary tank on top of the gas tank inside a tank bag that I secured to the bike using rope so it does not go flying when I hit a bump on the highway (I took this picture right before heading back to Miami FL from Buffalo Chip campground in Sturgis):

Although not related to this thread.. here is the picture I like the most from the trip ( Devils Tower Monument, the first American monument):

SICK!! I'd imagine you caught alot of weird looks with that setup and a gas mask.

I'll have to go through my pics from Sturgis. For some reason I want to say I may have seen your bike down on Main Street. I think I recall seeing a black Sportster with a VERY similar exhaust but didn't pay enough attention to say if it was actually your's.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:55 PM
HERE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
I think that brake mod is a horrible idea, I just hope it doesn't cause you to wreck.

I applaud your creativity, but this is a motorcycle, not a lawnmower. If you mess up, the cost is VERY high.

For example:

You cannot easily function check your master cylinder in that position.

A leak from the master cylinder would be much harder to spot.

A rock kicked up from the highway has a much higher chance of hitting it in its new location.

Looks pretty fool proof to me. In the event it does fail(which is highly unlikely) he'd still have rear brakes. Properly tightened hardware would help curb the likeliness of leaks as well as just going over the bike routinely and it's tucked up BEHIND the fork so I'd say there's pretty much no way for a rock to hit it.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:57 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by YOURADHERE
SICK!! I'd imagine you caught alot of weird looks with that setup and a gas mask.

I'll have to go through my pics from Sturgis. For some reason I want to say I may have seen your bike down on Main Street. I think I recall seeing a black Sportster with a VERY similar exhaust but didn't pay enough attention to say if it was actually your's.

Ha!... well... I recall seeing yours downtown, you were riding it !! man... Sturgis was a freakin' BLAST!!!!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:06 PM
HERE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by joebotics
Ha!... well... I recall seeing yours downtown, you were riding it !! man... Sturgis was a freakin' BLAST!!!!

Badass! I actually saw the guy with the Iron with the Street Glide fairing and hardbags in Hullett on the way back from Devil's Tower too(forget his screen name). The whole area is great to ride again. I think if I go back it'll be the week before to avoid the huge crowds though.

Quick Reply: My new clean handlebars ....