Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new clean handlebars ....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:10 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

I would say if you rode to sturgis and back with your brake mod you are good to go.

The bike looks hardcore bro! You are a true f-in warrior in my book. Not too many others doing chit like that and riding like that.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:15 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
I think that brake mod is a horrible idea, I just hope it doesn't cause you to wreck.

I applaud your creativity, but this is a motorcycle, not a lawnmower. If you mess up, the cost is VERY high.

For example:

You cannot easily function check your master cylinder in that position.

A leak from the master cylinder would be much harder to spot.

A rock kicked up from the highway has a much higher chance of hitting it in its new location.
Originally Posted by YOURADHERE
Looks pretty fool proof to me. In the event it does fail(which is highly unlikely) he'd still have rear brakes. Properly tightened hardware would help curb the likeliness of leaks as well as just going over the bike routinely and it's tucked up BEHIND the fork so I'd say there's pretty much no way for a rock to hit it.
I hear Parabellum's concern... although to me is for different reasons... since the master cylinder is now in a vertical position, the brake fluid check window is more useful now.. due to the way I ride my master cylinder was inclined forward while installed on the handlebar, making it hard to spot a low fluid condition unless it was quite low.. the master cylinder appears more protected in my opinion now that is behind the bulky lower fork slider and surrounded by the bracket... checking for leaks requires more effort.. but not a big deal... my real area of concern is the cable link... it if gets stuck then it will maintain the brakes applied... certainly a very dangerous situation.. but I don't see how this is much different from other cable controlled systems (clutch, throttle and brake systems in older bikes)... then again.. it is still an area of concern...

Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wilburz
I would say if you rode to sturgis and back with your brake mod you are good to go.

The bike looks hardcore bro! You are a true f-in warrior in my book. Not too many others doing chit like that and riding like that.
:-) every time I mentioned that I was from Miami Florida people asked if I brought it in a trailer or train.. when I told them I rode it they wanted to take pictures with me and the bike... yeah!!...

It was a total of 5400 miles round trip.. man... it is tough to ride a Sporty for so many miles / days, specially with such an awful rear stock suspension... but I am counting the days until I ride it again to Sturgis next year!!.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:45 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe, keep the threads coming. Your work is always brilliant to HDF. Everyone can agree, I'm sure.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:13 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Joe, keep the threads coming. Your work is always brilliant to HDF. Everyone can agree, I'm sure.
Thanks SF !!! I'll do my best to post a tutorial on the mid controls foot clutch in the coming months.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interesting. Definitely clean looking. Where are the speedo, turn signals, license plates located?

The following users liked this post:
donal (05-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Rev. V!
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"some areas in Florida are notorious for big bugs hitting you in the face while riding"

Oh, man....I know exactly what you mean....some of those SOBs are about as big as birds!!!!!

Old 10-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that looks sweet. You definitely inspire me! I want to do the same for my bike but I don't know where to start and I'm broke too lol. Is that all very hard to do?

I'm curious to know how the internal throttle and clutch systems work. Do you simply turn forward and backward the left handle to use the clutch? In their website it says it's only for custom applications. I wonder if that would work with my 12" apes.

Last edited by Voony; 10-19-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:00 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
That is some serious redneck engineering...!
LOL !! ... yeah.. I am having too much fun with these mods.. thanks for the encouraging comments !!... :-)

Last edited by joebotics; 10-19-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Voony
Man, that looks sweet. You definitely inspire me! I want to do the same for my bike but I don't know where to start and I'm broke too lol. Is that all very hard to do?

I'm curious to know how the internal throttle and clutch systems work. Do you simply turn forward and backward the left handle to use the clutch? In their website it says it's only for custom applications. I wonder if that would work with my 12" apes.
Hey Voony!!.. I only have an internal throttle handle.. my clutch is a foot clutch.. the internal throttle is simple to install... you just need to follow the instructions and make sure you measure twice / four times before you start cutting your handlebar!... and the internal throttle kit from demons cycle works just fine on 1'' handlebars..

Quick Reply: My new clean handlebars ....