Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting The Nightster Motor.....Who's Done It??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:01 AM
6sick6
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dango
Took me at least 3-hours to mask it all off and only about 10-minutes to paint! Only took the plugs out and inspection cover off. Nothing else. I started with the HD wrinkle finish but did not like the sheen it left- almost a semi-gloss- so I hit it with the flat high heat stuff. I like it much better than the gray. It smelled pretty bad for about the first 200 miles or so. Go for it.
How is that high heat paint holding up? any issues with it?
Looks great. Thanks for the pics.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM
BAKERiSM
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love this thread! It's getting cold and I'm getting bored! Thanks for all the info!

Old 10-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Dango
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues whatsoever but I haven't scrubbed it at all...just a little soap and water with a car wash mitt. It seems solid.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:40 PM
sickboy949
Tourer

Nice thread I hate the grey as well I'm so doing this!!!! I painted my exhaust with high heat and haven't had any issues!!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:52 PM
topjimmy
Cruiser

Painted my motor last winter. Got two cans of Harley Davidson Textured black paint.

Here is the before:

Taped up:

After close shot:

After all tape removed:

Took me about 4 hours to tape. Then 30 minutes to paint. I bought two cans from the local Harley Dealer at $22.95 a can. Only used half of each can. Because it had to be shaken and I thought one can screwed up but it was only because I didn't keep shaking it in between sprays. But I don't think it is a bad job for $50 of paint, free newspaper and a $2 roll of tape. After a year paint it still in excellent shape. I may go back this winter and paint the jugs.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Topjimmy, that looks GREAT!! That's the look I'm shooting for!! Great pics and nice job!! Now I have a winter project.....well....at least a saturday project. We ride year round out here in So Cal!! Can't have too much down time!!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 PM
BAKERiSM
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sick TopJimmy! It actually looks kind of cool without the jugs being black! I went into Harley today and had them order my paint! Were you happy with how it came out???

Old 10-21-2011, 09:19 AM
topjimmy
Cruiser

I am extremely happy with how it came out. Totally hated the gray motor and now it looks in my opinion how it should with the motor black. My only advise to anyone wanting to do this is to take your time and don't rush it. When painting anything you have to slow down a few notches and that is very hard to do when you are hyper anyway. But I think by me slowing down and covering the whole bike then just taking my time to paint is why it turned out so good.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:09 AM
poisonthesteve
Tourer

I hate to think about how the paint is gonna chip and crack when it comes time to pull apart the engine. and anything else that's secured by a torx, screw, allen bolt, you name it.

is this an issue with anyone whos painted the engine? because i really want to do this to my engine too, and this winter seems like a good time.

also what did you guys all do to prep the engine for paint? im sure you cleaned it up a bit beforehand? thanks

Old 10-21-2011, 12:33 PM
topjimmy
Cruiser

I just washed the bike like normal and washed the engine real good with soap and water the day before I painted.

Quick Reply: Painting The Nightster Motor.....Who's Done It??