Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting The Nightster Motor.....Who's Done It??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:14 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by topjimmy
Painted my motor last winter. Got two cans of Harley Davidson Textured black paint.

Here is the before:

Taped up:

After close shot:

After all tape removed:

Took me about 4 hours to tape. Then 30 minutes to paint. I bought two cans from the local Harley Dealer at $22.95 a can. Only used half of each can. Because it had to be shaken and I thought one can screwed up but it was only because I didn't keep shaking it in between sprays. But I don't think it is a bad job for $50 of paint, free newspaper and a $2 roll of tape. After a year paint it still in excellent shape. I may go back this winter and paint the jugs.
Looks really nice, but why didn't you take off the pipes? Just curious.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:33 AM
topjimmy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was going to be more work to take off the pipes then it was to tape them. I still had plenty of room to paint the motor with them on.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Really? Seems like a couple of bolts and nuts would be a lot easier than masking all that off and shooting under the pipes. Nonetheless, looks good!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Dango
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's way easier to mask the pipes than it is to remove them.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:15 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

stripped mine and powdercoated it.

Attached Thumbnails Painting The Nightster Motor.....Who's Done It??-2011_06210042.jpg   Painting The Nightster Motor.....Who's Done It??-2011_06210044.jpg  
Old 08-30-2012, 01:35 PM
OIF SuperGlide
Tourer

Did you tape each indivdual bolt?

Originally Posted by topjimmy
Painted my motor last winter. Got two cans of Harley Davidson Textured black paint.

Here is the before:

Taped up:

After close shot:

After all tape removed:

Took me about 4 hours to tape. Then 30 minutes to paint. I bought two cans from the local Harley Dealer at $22.95 a can. Only used half of each can. Because it had to be shaken and I thought one can screwed up but it was only because I didn't keep shaking it in between sprays. But I don't think it is a bad job for $50 of paint, free newspaper and a $2 roll of tape. After a year paint it still in excellent shape. I may go back this winter and paint the jugs.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Thorshammer
Tourer

I know its not a Harley but here a pic of my old VTX. I painted the motor in frame. I first used engine cleaner and cleaned the hell out of the motor underneath also. I use a leaf blower and dried it well and let it sit a day of 2 to make sure it was dry as a bone. Next I remove evrything I could without leaking oil and masked off every thing else with blue painters tape, tin foil, and plastic wrap. The more time you spend preping the better it will turn out. I used Duplicolor 500* engine paint about 3 coats if I remember right then left it alone for a day or so. Then I reassembled everything. I put around 16K on the bike untill I had to sell it during a divorce and it never chipped, faded, or any problem with the paint at all.
After painting a V twin you can always come back with a dremmel moto tool and polish the fin edges for an even more finished look. I just thought it looked great all black. The caption under the pic is that of another forum I helped run.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:17 PM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmxatv
stripped mine and powdercoated it.
thats what i would do ...but i like the grey

Old 08-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Chadster21
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am wanting to do the same thing, but the lower part of my engine is in chrome like the primary cover and all that.... will i have to sandblast them first??

Old 08-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadster21
i am wanting to do the same thing, but the lower part of my engine is in chrome like the primary cover and all that.... will i have to sandblast them first??
Lot of folks with gray or just polished covers would like to go chrome; if you're willing to go to the trouble of swapping, I'm sure there are others that would, too. Just might not find them locally. I've never had good luck trying to paint over chrome, but admit there are some new products on the market now that might do it ok.

Quick Reply: Painting The Nightster Motor.....Who's Done It??