Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Screamin' Eagle Round Stage 1 AC

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:10 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Questions about New Round Stage 1 AC

I am thinking of installing the new Screamin' Eagle Round Sportster Stage 1 air cleaner. This one:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Some questions:
1. Is anyone running this yet?
2. Can you provide the installation instructions (or a link to them)? You can usually download them after you hit "Purchase Online" but that isn't an option here. (It says contact the dealer for availabiltiy.) I want to see if I should install myself or have the dealer do it. I'm not sure what changes are necessary to switch from the "ham can" to a round AC.
3. I am running SE Street Performance Slip-ons, which I really like. Will this A/C pair well with these pipes?
4. I know I will need a remap. What is the going rate for that at the dealer?
5. I have already seen a performance increase over stock with just the SE SP pipes. Will there be a further noticeable improvement with this AC and remap? I understand that it is likely it will make the engine run cooler?
6. I understand the remap will make the engine run less lean (which is why it runs cooler). How much will this decrease gas mileage?
7. I don't want to run the AC naked and then have to deal with a rain sock or sucking in water, so I don't want to do just a trim ring on top. The only cover for round AC's I see from HD is this plain chrome one they call the "Smooth Air Cleaner Cover".http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
Are there other choices from HD or elsewhere?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by TKDKurt; 10-29-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:45 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The A/C will come with instructions. Anything from HD will fit like stock. You will need a new map. It will probably cost around $150. You will notice some extra performance and a slight decrease in fuel economy. If you keep the cover on, the rain will not affect the engine.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:30 PM
PAsportster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a pic of mine easy to install .... get the KN filter to replace the SE filter...

Old 10-29-2011, 01:39 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
2. Can you provide the installation instructions (or a link to them)? You can usually download them after you hit "Purchase Online" but that isn't an option here. (It says contact the dealer for availabiltiy.) I want to see if I should install myself or have the dealer do it. I'm not sure what changes are necessary to switch from the "ham can" to a round AC.
The kit will come with everything you need. It should be very similiar to the screamin eagle stage 1 kit just with a round backing plate. So I would refer to these instructions to see if you can handle it. Pretty simple installation...but that depends on your own capability and tools...only you can make that call on whether to do it yourself or have the dealer install:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J03942.pdf

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
6. I understand the remap will make the engine run less lean (which is why it runs cooler). How much will this decrease gas mileage?
Actually you have this backwards....running lean means running hotter. The EFI sportys run lean from the factory to meet emissions requirements.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:53 PM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AN Big Sucker w/8" cover