Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax- reviews

Old 10-07-2014, 05:02 PM
jws8308
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went from a PCV to a Thundermax and haven't looked back since.........you get what you pay for.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:18 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to ask just because I'm behind here on these tuners and I don't mean to hijack this thread but doesn't Harley build a Race Tuner anymore? I used one on my RC several years ago and it work perfect but you did have to get a new dyno tune with changes. I also looked into the ThunderMax back then and it doesn't appear they work any better than they did 6 years ago.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:20 PM
Lee Minske
Advanced

I wouldn't bother with spending the $ to put a ThunderMax on a sporster but now that i've had mine for a full riding season, i only ask myself why i didn't do it sooner. My bike has never ran so well as it does now. The thing with the ThunderMax is having a good tuner set it up so it's functioning correctly and properly. Not all tuner installation people know what they are doing. My custom shop is dam good and has my highest recommendations. They are now stuck with doing all my work. lol

Old 03-12-2015, 02:25 PM
sr123
Intermediate

Thanks so much for the heads up,I have the same pipes and was thinking of a thunder max(not a chance with tech support like that)

Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Kontankerous
I've used the Thundermax before I went 1250 and had good results with the exception of some odd error that kept throwing codes and my batt, eng and other lights would come on and my speedometer would stop working. They ended up giving me my money back but I went PV with my 1250 per Dan/Aarons recommendation.
I had a similar malfunction in the first Thundermax I was sent with my Hammer 88 kit except mine would only send out a check engine code for about a minute after starting. They sent me another, newer version of the ECM and it works well.

Just to cofirm, mine mounts behind the rear jug and is a single unit. I had a problem with the longer O2 sensor hitting the front motor mount when I tried to install Patriot Defenders but the pipe maker said the bung was welded on at the wrong angle. They sent me a new pipe and the angle is slightly different. I will try again soon.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Turbo38gn
nothing good to say about Zippers support on a Thundermax. The only form of contact with theirs techs is email. You can send a copy of a tune and they are supposed to tweak it and send it back... didn't happen for me, they sent a tune up to me for a 96" procharged combo... did not work at all. I told them it was a SE110" FLHR with a procharger... I loaded a tuneup from a 110 motor without a charger and am currently working on figuring out how to tune it from there. So far, it runs great, but I know I need to check the AFR's, need the targets to be around 11.0 to 1 under boost... Screw Zippers, they should be ashamed of themselves. Procharger and every Harley tuner I called had nothing good to say about TMax, mainly because of the lack of support.
That is interesting because the tech I am currently working with (Dan) has called me several times and I am actually going to link up my ThunderMax and have him help me tweak it to get the proper power I should be getting outta my setup. I have had a good experience with tech support so far.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Turbo38gn
Actually, I didn't buy anything. I was helping out a friend at the time get it running. T max seems to be a very good product, my complaint wasn't with the product, it was with the way Zippers supports Tmax..
You may find better support from the actual manufacturer of the ECM, Thunder Heart. Maybe try talking to someone at Thunder Heart where they actually make the ThunderMax. Maybe your experiences will get better and you will get the tune outta the ECM you are looking for. I hope you get it figured out.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Turbo38gn
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
You may find better support from the actual manufacturer of the ECM, Thunder Heart. Maybe try talking to someone at Thunder Heart where they actually make the ThunderMax. Maybe your experiences will get better and you will get the tune outta the ECM you are looking for. I hope you get it figured out.

Thanks BH.... the bike and the Tmax are gone... now I get to play with my toys.. I love my Fuelpak in my 09 Ultra... simple install, simple to tune, support was perfect, one phone call, changed a few numbers and the tune was great..

Old 06-30-2016, 02:08 PM
RandyElson
2nd Gear
Default Thundermax is junk

Originally Posted by FISM
I look at this thing online at almost a grand. Is it worth the money? I use a PC3 and its a closed loop system. I know my bike runs hot in the summer, great in the winter, but a grand....theres got to be something just as good for halfr the cost.

Anyone got any opinions on this and what you running

Thanks.
Do not buy this **** product they don't cover there warranty straight junk garbage

Old 06-30-2016, 02:14 PM
RandyElson
2nd Gear
Default Junk

[QUOTE=FISM;8987853]I look at this thing online at almost a grand. Is it worth the money? I use a PC3 and its a closed loop system. I know my bike runs hot in the summer, great in the winter, but a grand....theres got to be something just as good for halfr the cost.

Anyone got any opinions on this and what you running in your ride?

Thanks.[/QUOTE

Thundermax is junk hardstart problems you will never get the horse power you are capable of they don't return calls they don't return info on the Datta you send threw there trouble shoot bull **** stay away even stock is better then not being able to ride at all because you spent a 1000 dollars on a piece of **** tuner just saying

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thundermax- reviews