Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax- reviews

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 02:00 AM
FISM
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thundermax- reviews

I look at this thing online at almost a grand. Is it worth the money? I use a PC3 and its a closed loop system. I know my bike runs hot in the summer, great in the winter, but a grand....theres got to be something just as good for halfr the cost.

Anyone got any opinions on this and what you running in your ride?

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I did my homework before I purchased it. Believe me, I'm tight on money and if there was anything else comparable to it ... but there is not.
And I'm very happy with it.

The following users liked this post:
LoneWoolf (08-14-2016)
Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

There was some hiccup and it got posted twice, mod, please remove. Can't find delete function ...

Last edited by Von_Zipper; 10-30-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:24 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you plan on making regular changes to your engine's systems, then it can definitely be a good thing. It is super expensive though - especially when compared to a relatively inexpensive sporty. I had one on my vrod this past summer, and it ran super smooth, but I had problems with it that remain undiagnosed. The bike would simply die on me and not restart, till the entire tmax unit was reset (resulted in 3 tows). I ditched it, bought the SERT (screaming eagle race tuner) and had it tuned on a dyno. My bike now runs like it's on fire, pulls harder than it did with the tmax, and while it can't make adjustments on the fly like the tmax unit can, it satisfies me just fine.

There are lots of very happy tmax users out there, lots of them. I'm not one.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:24 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you plan on making regular changes to your engine's systems, then it can definitely be a good thing. It is super expensive though - especially when compared to a relatively inexpensive sporty. I had one on my vrod this past summer, and it ran super smooth, but I had problems with it that remain undiagnosed. The bike would simply die on me and not restart, till the entire tmax unit was reset (resulted in 3 tows). I ditched it, bought the SERT (screaming eagle race tuner) and had it tuned on a dyno. My bike now runs like it's on fire, pulls harder than it did with the tmax, and while it can't make adjustments on the fly like the tmax unit can, it satisfies me just fine.

There are lots of very happy tmax users out there, lots of them. I'm not one.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had it on my bike over a year now. While expensive (about $930 installed), it was well worth it for me. No dyno tune needed, much better performance than stock and it constantly auto tunes for conditions. Much smoother riding at slower speeds as well. I had a shop install because I don't have a laptop and I am no good with anything requiring a computer, other than turning em on and surfing the web. I have had no problems other than a tweaking needed about 500-600 miles after install.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:22 AM
ironcrab
Advanced

I have been running with it for a just over a year now and never had and issue and bike runs great.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Aaron48
Road Master

I am using the new Cobra Power Pro with Auto Tune it tunes the bike On the fly all by itself and there are no maps or computer tuning to mess with.

http://www.cobrausa.com/fuel.php

Old 05-02-2012, 02:06 PM
hhkiwi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here’s my ThunderMax story.

I’ve been thinking of getting an aftermarket ECM for some time and had a good lock at the different options out there. The ThunderMax with auto tune appeared to be a very good solution (though expensive) and the system generally received positive feedback.

I downloaded the ThunderMax software and played with it and even contacted their tech support to find out which base map would be the most appropriate for my bike – a 2007 XL 1200R with Screaming Eagle AC and Vance & Hines Shortshots Staggered. When they responded promptly and recommended map 814 I felt confident to go ahead and buy the system, so I bit the bullet and invested the $$$.

My first surprise when I received the system was that the Sportster version features an external auto tune module, i.e. the auto tune module is not integrated into the actual ECM module – it needs to be mounted separately and plugs into the service connector by the battery. The picture on the ThunderMax online store only shows the version with the integrated auto tune module and the description states “ThunderMax is a completely new product that replaces the factory Electronic Control Module (ECM), NOT AN ADD-ON BOX or signal modifier.” So I was disappointed to find that the system I received included an add-on box for strapping to the frame.

The reason for the add-on box is apparently that there’s not enough space where the original ECM is located on the Sportster (under the seat) but I don’t buy that argument – the ThunderMax ECM unit is actually smaller than the original ECM and could easily be designed to accommodate the auto-tune components and still fit under the seat. I understand that the ThunderMax ECM module for the Sportster was also available as a stand-alone open-loop unit and it looks to me that they simply tried to save money by designing the auto tune module as an add-on, rather than integrate it.

My next disappointment was the old serial connector for hooking the ECM up to the computer. While they clearly say in the description that a USB adapter is available separately, I think it is a joke that the adapter is not included in the set – especially given the price of the system! In any case, none of the laptops I’ve owned in the past ten years featured one of the old serial ports so the lack of a proper USB hook up is very strange.

Now to the more substantial issue. On installing the system I found that the wide-band O2 sensors are longer than the stock sensors and won’t fit with my V&H pipes – the thread size of the bungs is correct but the ThunderMax sensors are so long that they collide with the frame/engine. I can therefore not install them without either relocating the bungs or creasing the header pipes to change the angle of the bungs. As a result, I can’t use the system at this stage without spending more money to get my exhaust modified.

Remember that I contacted the ThunderMax tech support prior to purchasing the system and told them about my configuration, including my V&H exhaust – which is a very common aftermarket exhaust for the Sportster. But there was no warning from tech support that I would not be able to install the ThunderMax O2 sensors.

I am therefore not very impressed by ThunderMax. And because the company I purchased the system from excludes the return of electronic components I can’t even send it back for a refund. Anyone for a ThunderMax system for a Sportster? It’s brand new (original box) and I’m happy to throw in the USB adapter. Just make sure you have header pipes that can take the O2 sensors...

Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have talked to people that sell the ThunderMax along with many other tuners and they told me it is overpriced. Unless you want to learn how to tune your own bike it is not worth that. It would be cheaper and easier to get the SEPST and have it tuned. The SEPST is hands down the best tuner you can put on a Harley. The only reasons I would get a ThunderMax would be you are going to bit by bit do different mods or you like to change things a lots, in which it would be nice to have the auto tune feature.

Quick Reply: Thundermax- reviews