Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side mount license plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:17 PM
MaTcheS
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default use the mount you already have

I used the existing plate mount off of the fender. I just heated it up and hammered the **** out of it until it was flat, then drilled a hole to fit the lower shock bolt, then put two holes through the plate, and done. Total cost $0 unless you by a can of rattle to paint it after.

Still waiting to mount a light for it though... I know they make cheap LED bolts with lights on them for only a couple bucks.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:35 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stag556
Just bought an axle mount from road 6 customs. I'll post pics when I get it on.
Originally Posted by RICHIEMACK
check road 6 customs they have a few cheap models or watch the classifies multi fit on the forum
Beware of Road6Custom's side mount plates.....mine broke off where it mounts along with at least 3 others on the XL Forum. My plate is somewhere in a snowbank in PA. They all failed at the same point. Some people were lucky enough that their wiring held the plate for a little bit as it was bouncing off the pavement....mine just ripped off. They are tempting as the price is right....but not worth it if it breaks.

I run RK shocks...and I made a plate and it is mounted to the upper shock body...not going anywhere now.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Sport1200N
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmoKramer
Beware of Road6Custom's side mount plates.....mine broke off where it mounts along with at least 3 others on the XL Forum.
Have any of you complained? Their website states no complaints on their license plate mounts.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser

I know one guy complained and got a replacement....guess what happened to that one?

Mine broke off on the way down to FL Christmas 09' in PA....so by time I hit the FL state line I already had in mind what I wanted to do and didn't want anything to do with another road6plate holder.

I know when I was on their website I don't think they had area for customer reviews. I bought it off Ebay but 6 months later you can not leave negative feedback.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ighlight=road6

Last edited by CosmoKramer; 11-01-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:47 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior

Still trying to 'build a better mouse trap', so to speak, with a lower-shock-bolt-mounted license plate bracket... my lack of skill/patience welding 1/8" flat bar is holding me back too. Anyone else come up with something simply brilliant...?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Jackal
Road Master

My 08 Nightster has a side folding one with LEDs that illuminate from the side, then a heavy black wrinkle finish al. frame with red led's that light from rear with it's own 3-wire loom. Looks and works great, but I'd prefer to have a side mount of some sort.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:30 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CosmoKramer
I run RK shocks...and I made a plate and it is mounted to the upper shock body...not going anywhere now.
Some people wanted to know what I did....it was pretty simple. I bought a steel plate from Home Depot or Lowes....was a little less than 1/8" thick...don't remember the exact gauge. I then cut it and did some grinding to match the license plate profile. I put holes in the plate so that I could strap it to the top of my RK Shock. I have some stainless steel adjustable clamps but I had some large heavy duty zip-ties (that were black) so i tried them first.

I added four LED bolt lights and this is what I have now. If you look closely you can see the two large zip ties. One of them is at the very top of the RK rubber boot where it goes around the upper shock body and the top zip tie goes around the metal upper shock body only about 3/4" above the other zip tie. I wanted two to help prevent it from spinning...and it works even as close as they are together.

With the LEDs on:

Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Barry Powers
Cruiser

road6customs side mount looks to heavy for that little bracket. figure machine makes a nice one but it is rather pricey.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:37 PM
drumbumrocky
Stage I
Default My side mount license plate set-up

This is my 07XL1200C. I bobbed it out to a simple, old school set up. I removed a lot of stuff. I replaced the stock seat, replaced handlebars & risers(Drag Specialties), grips, mirrors, removed belt guard, new tail light w/ led bulb, S&S Stealth air intake, Vance and Hines Straight shots, Joker Machine Side mount speedo, tons of simple mods. Overall a great bike.

My advice? You could go cheap and do what I did. Get a new location for the license plate, straight/curved, or a horizontal one, depending on your state laws. Also, ypu will need to get 2x license plate bolt lights and wire them up, you're good to go. Not hard at all. Here's some pics to elaborate.

Last edited by drumbumrocky; 12-21-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:16 PM
HBRHMR
Cruiser

I lost two brackets to my hardtail struts before going with DK's

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Lice...DK-LPR-HOR.htm