Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug & Play HID Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plug & Play HID Conversion?

Anyone know of a quality kit? Thanks!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

If you search HDF you will find plenty of recommendations. The Touring forum is keen on them, so try in there. They involve a small 'black box' that fires up the light which you will need to tuck away somewhere. Not quite so easy on a Sporty as on a dresser!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Jackal
Road Master

Thanks man, I did search before I made the post, but it was limited to the Sportster and the only thing I found there lead me to a site that doesn't list motorcycle kits any more. I called them and they only use universal kits now for twin lamp vehicles. I'll broaden my search. In the mean time I ordered a Silverstar Ultra H4 from ebay for $18 shipped.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have converted both lamps on my vrod to HID, as well as six of them on my Yukon XL, by using the HID kits from DDMTUNING.COM . They are well built, work great, and are inexpensive compared to some of the outrageous prices you'll find on HID gear.

These are the specific kits .. http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...-Kits-Lighting

The 35W is MORE THAN ENOUGH for your low beam. It will make you think that your stock bulb was candle powered. I have 35W lo and 55W hi on my bike.

Any HID will require a ballast that you'll have to hide/mount and space like that is at a premium on the Sporty. The VROD has tons of "internal" storage so it was easy. I'll be doing my Sporty when it returns from the chop shop, too, but not sure yet where I'll put the ballast. Will be doing my girl's sporty over the winter. HID is a HUGE improvement in night driving safety.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 AM
schwingding
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
In the mean time I ordered a Silverstar Ultra H4 from ebay for $18 shipped.
Prepare to be underwhelmed!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Jackal
Road Master

Thanks man, that's cheap. Looks like you run dedicated power to batt, but other than that, is there any splicing or tapping other than tieing in the high / low switch? Does the bulb secure in the H4 location or do you have to gut it and secure by other means? Looks like it would take up little room in the fork bag. Wish I hadn't wasted the $20 in the Silverstar now. I run them in my vehicles and like them, but I didn't expect much in the motorcycle other than color improvement.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noob question: what's good about HID? First time I hear about that...

Old 11-03-2011, 12:22 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Voony
Noob question: what's good about HID? First time I hear about that...
HID stands for High Intensity Discharge. The headlight bulb doesn't use an incandescent wire, but strikes a spark between two terminals. To achieve that it uses a high frequency AC current, not DC like normal bulbs, and the ballast referred to creates that special voltage.

The resulting light is a much higher temperature than a normal bulb and hence also much brighter. They are common on recent high end cars.

An HID conversion is best done with a high quality reflector, such as Hella, Bosch or Cibie, to get the best beam onto the road. Harley stock reflectors leave a lot to be desired!

Hope that helps!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Aaron48
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gone through HID Country before they have really good customer service.

http://shop.hidcountry.com/ProductDe...o%20Kit%20HDK1

Old 11-03-2011, 03:22 PM
schwingding
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
Thanks man, that's cheap. Looks like you run dedicated power to batt, but other than that, is there any splicing or tapping other than tieing in the high / low switch? Does the bulb secure in the H4 location or do you have to gut it and secure by other means? Looks like it would take up little room in the fork bag. Wish I hadn't wasted the $20 in the Silverstar now. I run them in my vehicles and like them, but I didn't expect much in the motorcycle other than color improvement.
I'm assuming this was in response to my post, so I'll answer as such. NO power connections are necessary. The ballast connects into the same connector your existing headlamp bulb uses, and then the new HID lamp plugs into a separate connector from the ballast.

There is another issue here - the HID lamps take about 10 seconds to warm up to full brightness, so if you switch back from your high to your low, you'll have momentary darkness! DOT regs prohibit the manufacturer from allowing both high and low bulbs to be on concurrently. There are PLENTY of folks out there who have modded their systems to keep the low on when you turn on the high. For my vrod it was as simple as connecting two wires together - but it takes some thought. On my GMC it took connecting the hot pins of the high and low relays, but by using a diode. Happy to talk more about it.

Here's a pic of my TWO ballasts in the airbox on my vrod. Keep in mind, this is for both a HID high and a low beam.

The only drawback to these HID systems is they are so bright that the stock headlamps/reflectors aren't designed to contain the light properly. There is a LOT of diffuse light all over the place, to the sides, up and down. It is tough to keep the oncoming drivers happy without also negating a lot of the benefit of HID. You WILL have to play with your HL's aim after installing, or everyone will be flashing their highs at you.

Plug & Play HID Conversion?-ae8ct.jpg

Last edited by schwingding; 11-03-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Plug & Play HID Conversion?