Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Lights always engaged

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:48 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lights always engaged

I searched the forums and can't find anything to help troubleshoot this issue. I have a 1200 converted Iron and I just noticed my break lights are always on. I have checked fuses and bulbs and I cannot figure out why the brake lights stay lit up. Has anyone had any issues with this? I really don't want to take my bike to the Stealer.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

Have you recently changed handlebars or done anything with the master cylinder? There is a small brake plunger that triggers the light switch that is very easily broken. When this happens the lights stay illuminated all the time.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:16 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Yes I did change by bars just yesterday. I took apart the switch housing and saw where the lever engaged a 'boot' looking part inside. Is this what you are referring too? How do you replace this part? It looked very fragile and I didn't want to mess with it.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:22 PM
pooflinginmonkey
Intermediate

Scuba 10 is right, its the switch. I just put my apes on tonight actually, i grabbed the brake lever and heard a little crack, didnt think anything of it till i went out for a lil test run and noticed the same thing. luckily my apes came from hill country customs with new controls. I had to splice in the old switch and give a lil more caution while re installing. You can probably get a new switch from harley pretty cheap, wouldnt try fixing the one you got if it is broken, sounds like a great way to get rear ended ha. good luck.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:28 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

I heard the same little snap. Thanks for the help my fellow scooter trash. I guess it's time to dig in my manual and find this part so I know how to remove it.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:38 PM
pooflinginmonkey
Intermediate

you'll just have to snip the two wires, ones red with a yellow stripe... cant remember what the other one is but regardless, you just need a little solder and some heat shrink. if you dont have another switch that will be the only problem. there is a little copper piece that goes between the switch and the housing the keeps the plunger pushed tight into the hole where it makes contact with the brake handle, just make sure you keep track of it.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:54 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Originally Posted by pooflinginmonkey
you'll just have to snip the two wires, ones red with a yellow stripe... cant remember what the other one is but regardless, you just need a little solder and some heat shrink. if you dont have another switch that will be the only problem. there is a little copper piece that goes between the switch and the housing the keeps the plunger pushed tight into the hole where it makes contact with the brake handle, just make sure you keep track of it.
I see no wires. Just a dust boot where the brake lever engages. According to the manual there is a retaining ring, springs and a cup that looks like is connected to the master cylinder. When I look at the diagrams in the manual for the same area it just shows the switches for the turn signal, engine kill switch, and the on switch. Where are these wires you are referring too?

Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Okay, looks like it's in the lower housing where the switch and wires are. I'll have to take it apart in the morning to see it for myself. Thanks again.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:05 AM
pooflinginmonkey
Intermediate

it might be different on your bike, what do you have? on mine it was just a little switch in the control housing that made contact with the brake lever. wish i had some pictures or something for you.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:10 AM
odie-in-az
Tourer

2010 converted 1200 Iron. The brake lever makes contact with a dust boot. Kinda hard to tell looking at the manual. I had the housing apart earlier and saw the brake lever making contact with the boot. In the manual it shows the stop light switch as a square object but doesn't get real specific. I guess I'll have to tear it apart tomorrow so I can see if I can see what's going on in there.

Quick Reply: Brake Lights always engaged