Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Sportster low rider issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Mr.Sportster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pixiechitos
Ha ha..my fuel light is on most of the time. I'd be worried if it went off. I know my range so I'm not worried.
my problem is i dont know the full range yet.. i did average my gas mileage so i did it that way.. i figure if i get 35mpg and i have a 4.5 tank= 160 miles or so give or take higher mileage on highway.

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
My 1200 Custom was very consistent and averaged 45 mpg in mixed city/country/highway riding in stock configuration. After the stage 1 upgrade it is averaging around 42-43. I have a 4.5 gallon tank and the light is likewise consistent on coming on steady after I've used 3 gallons.
i havnt had it on the highway much, mostly urban city driving.. i usually average 35mpg. i love that heavy breather kit i saw on harleys website..

Originally Posted by chrisangie
We have a superlow and so does a friend of ours, and if the key is left on for any amount of time at all without it running for some reason it misses the fuel light up. After four or five times of starting and stopping it it seems to clear it up. Our light comes on at about 1.5 gal. left in the tank, and it gets around 50 MPG. We really like ours and hope you get yours fixed up.
id be happy if it came on after 3 gallons.. but at less than 2 makes me a tad nervous.. most people tell me not to worry about it so i dont to much lol.

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Sounds like a pick-up tube for the fuel pump has a hole in it.
could you explain this a bit more, would love to bring this up to the techs.. The tech there doesnt seem to be the most knowledgeable from what ive seen so far.. when i first brought up the fuel light issue he said i had a 2 gallon tank and it goes off half way.. i said i had a 4.5 tank and he said hed have to read his manual.. if they cant find the problem ill take it to another tech in another city..

im taking it in tomorrow if they let me...

Old 12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Go to a different dealer. One with a semi-competent mechanic vs. one that tells you you have a 2 gallon tank.

The light should NOT be coming on at 70 miles on a 4.5 gallon tank IF you have filled it up all the way. Make em fix it. I have 3.3 gallon tank on my 883 and the light rarely comes on before 90-100 miles and it has a 3" tank lift.

Are you sure the jerking/hesitation is not from being at too low an RPM when you go to accelerate? Easy way to find out is to pass the "100 mile" mark you mention and get those RPM's up there and then accelerate hard.

With the fuel injected bikes there is always going to be a little hesitation at low speed, low rpm acceleration...they come too lean from the factory.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-04-2011, 04:41 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

First, let me say I don't have a fuel injected bike and I don't have a manual for one, so I'm unfirmiliar with the exact arrangement you'd find in a Sportster. However, on the Big Twins, I've seen a pick-up hose with a hole in it from rubbing on the fuel pump/mount inside the tank. I'm only guessing, but the symptoms you describe seem consistent with what I've seen before. It makes sense that a pick-up tube with a hole would become less efficient and cause fuel delivery issues at the point where the fuel level goes below the hole (100 miles). Perhaps someone with a Shop Manual or a Parts Manual will chime in to confirm or repudiate that a pick-up tube/hose exists in the Sportster system.
I look forward to hearing the outcome of your dealer visit tomorrow. I could be completely wrong and it turns out the muffler bearings are causing the problem (sarcasm, yes).

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 12-04-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 12-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Mr.Sportster
Advanced

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Go to a different dealer. One with a semi-competent mechanic vs. one that tells you you have a 2 gallon tank.

The light should NOT be coming on at 70 miles on a 4.5 gallon tank IF you have filled it up all the way. Make em fix it. I have 3.3 gallon tank on my 883 and the light rarely comes on before 90-100 miles and it has a 3" tank lift.

Are you sure the jerking/hesitation is not from being at too low an RPM when you go to accelerate? Easy way to find out is to pass the "100 mile" mark you mention and get those RPM's up there and then accelerate hard.

With the fuel injected bikes there is always going to be a little hesitation at low speed, low rpm acceleration...they come too lean from the factory.
No it happens at both low RPMS and high.. its a 2 second hesitation with a hard re connect of power... it throws me around once it connects.. if this would be normal i would sell this bike in a heart beat.. its scary as hell.. its comparable to downshifting on the highway to 2nd and opening throttle all the way except the bike doesnt engine break.. its a hard thrust forward.. this has happened at 60 miles and hour.. the bike wont relax at all past 100 miles..

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
First, let me say I don't have a fuel injected bike and I don't have a manual for one, so I'm unfirmiliar with the exact arrangement you'd find in a Sportster. However, on the Big Twins, I've seen a pick-up hose with a hole in it from rubbing on the fuel pump/mount inside the tank. I'm only guessing, but the symptoms you describe seem consistent with what I've seen before. It makes sense that a pick-up tube with a hole would become less efficient and cause fuel delivery issues at the point where the fuel level goes below the hole (100 miles). Perhaps someone with a Shop Manual or a Parts Manual will chime in to confirm or repudiate that a pick-up tube/hose exists in the Sportster system.
I look forward to hearing the outcome of your dealer visit tomorrow. I could be completely wrong and it turns out the muffler bearings are causing the problem (sarcasm, yes).
Id love to see a diagram of this.. i have a 2 year warranty on it fortunately..

Old 12-04-2011, 09:49 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Sportster
No it happens at both low RPMS and high.. its a 2 second hesitation with a hard re connect of power... it throws me around once it connects.. if this would be normal i would sell this bike in a heart beat.. its scary as hell.. its comparable to downshifting on the highway to 2nd and opening throttle all the way except the bike doesnt engine break.. its a hard thrust forward.. this has happened at 60 miles and hour.. the bike wont relax at all past 100 miles..

Id love to see a diagram of this.. i have a 2 year warranty on it fortunately..

I would get it into a competent dealer asap. Make sure you got over 100 miles burnt on the tank so that they can duplicate the problem.

Here is a link to a diagram that may be useful-

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....dmc&A=747&B=42

Pretty much every part on your bike is in diagram form on that site.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:04 PM
A Seabee
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default from the manual

the closest I could find in my repair manual under troubleshooting, is the following. "starts but runs irregularly or misses"-
spark plugs bad
plug wires
plug gap too close or wide
faulty coil, ecm, or sensor(tmap,ckp,et,or O2)
battery nearly discharged
damaged wire or connection at ecm, battery, or ign. coil
intermittent short due to damaged wire insulation
water or dirt in fuel system
fuel tank vent system plugged
air leak at intake or air cleaner
partially plugged fuel injectors
damaged intake or exhaust valves
weak or damaged valve springs
incorrect valve timing

Most of these are going to be a miss, not sure what kind of maladies a plugged or misconnected tank vent will cause, though. Your battery and connections are suspect as well I'd find a dealer who at least has a tech who says "sir, I've got to do some research on this one, and then reads the manual before he speaks to the customer about chit he's not familiar with.

Last edited by A Seabee; 12-05-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:42 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

When you say looses power, does the engine shut off or keep revving with no acceleration? Do the rpm's increase during the power loss? If so, it could be a clutch issue.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Mr.Sportster
Advanced

Originally Posted by woodworking1
When you say looses power, does the engine shut off or keep revving with no acceleration? Do the rpm's increase during the power loss? If so, it could be a clutch issue.
It acts if its still crusing as if i didnt even throttle it hard to accelerate.. it still revs.. they dont increase..

Originally Posted by A Seabee
the closest I could find in my repair manual under troubleshooting, is the following. "starts but runs irregularly or misses"-
spark plugs bad
plug wires
plug gap too close or wide
faulty coil, ecm, or sensor(tmap,ckp,et,or O2)
battery nearly discharged
damaged wire or connection at ecm, battery, or ign. coil
intermittent short due to damaged wire insulation
water or dirt in fuel system
fuel tank vent system plugged
air leak at intake or air cleaner
partially plugged fuel injectors
damaged intake or exhaust valves
weak or damaged valve springs
incorrect valve timing

Most of these are going to be a miss, not sure what kind of maladies a plugged or misconnected tank vent will cause, though. Your battery and connections are suspect as well I'd find a dealer who at least has a tech who says "sir, I've got to do some research on this one, and then reads the manual before he speaks to the customer about chit he's not familiar with.
lol dont get me started on him.. i called today and told him what was going on.. he said drop it off and when he has some time this week he will look at it between repairs.. he did it as a unscheduled which i have no damn clue why.. he said it would take all week probably and if he needs parts a lot longer.. i was pissed.. he gave me no suggestions or anything.. i called another dealership farther out.. they said the fuel pump reach tubing or something that someone else posted here may be the issue.. he would of scheduled it for wednesday or thursday as he was backlogged as well.. But the problem is i would of had no way home and it would of taken a day probably.. so i took it to the crappy place lol.. not to mention its going to rain all way

But.. when i took it in the tech got more involved with me about the problems and wanted to know every detail, so maybe he had a crappy morning or something.. its funny both techs from both shops thought it was a 2 gallon tank... lol this is funny and rediculous.

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I would get it into a competent dealer asap. Make sure you got over 100 miles burnt on the tank so that they can duplicate the problem.

Here is a link to a diagram that may be useful-

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....dmc&A=747&B=42

Pretty much every part on your bike is in diagram form on that site.
Thanks for the diagram!!! I couldnt get it to 100 as i sadly didnt have enough time with my work schedule but its at about 50 miles.. i told him to take out half the gas which they will..

this day has been terrible i even something dropped the bike.. i was going into a really tight turn into a parking lot at a slow speed.. i underturned and went into muddy garden beside parking lot road.. locked the front and bike went down.. my addrenaline kicked in and pulled it right up before the tank layed down.. only marks are on the peg mount.. the peg mount or peg is slightly tilted up compared to the other.. its very slight.. i asked the part guy how much (told him a speed bump did it, probably doesnt believe me lol) they said about 20 bucks.. im glad it was only the black mount underneath the bike, i looked it over like a hawk.. fortunately the entrance lot went into the dirt or it could of been worse, its a badly designed road but it was my fault.. I was only going about 5mph.. im still learning on my super slow tight turns.. i took the MSF class part 1.. part 2 i can do now that i have a bike.. but they are closed till spring. sorry for the long story lol

You guys/gals have been great

Old 12-05-2011, 05:32 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

if it's not getting fuel the revs would drop off.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM
TheGarbon
Cruiser

Don't worry about dropping the bike, everyone goes down at some point. The good part is you walked away from it with no really big damage to yourself or the scoot.

The MSF class is well worth taking. The good thing is that winter is setting in so you will have winter weather downtime to get the bike sorted out and be ready for spring.

Did you try to stomp the peg back into place? They should pivot and the bolts may just be a bit tight.

Last edited by TheGarbon; 12-05-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Sportster low rider issues