Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, WTF? Speed sensor install

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts
Default OK, WTF? Speed sensor install

So I finally got my new speed sensor because my speedo was not working. It lit up and the engine light and everything else works, So I assumed it was the speed sensor. When I pull the codes on the bike using the speedo The only code I get is D05SET which ac according to the the manual is a speed sensor short? something like that. Anyhow, I try to clear the code within the speedo but as soon as it clears it shows the error again. I was reading the manual it is says that the code nees to be cleared with a scanner or it will clear after 50 start cycles. Does anyone have any insight on this? Have you ever had to change the speed sensor and clear the codes? if so How do I do it? Should the the speedo work even though its still showing the code? Please HELP!!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:13 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior

Anyone!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You ever find anything out?

Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to let you know. I recently had my speedo/odometer, self canceling turn signals all quit. The speedo was still lit up and it cycled through the trip meters. I had NO diagnostic codes. i took the bike into the dealer and it was a faulty VSS. they replaced it under warranty and has been good since.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:35 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior

yea, I got the new speed sensor and installed it....nothing. I read through the manual that the code will reset after 50 start cycles, so I decided to wait till I hit that. I installed some pipes on the bike and would ride around without realizing that the damn Speed sensor wire was sitting ON THE PIPE!!! it melted the wire and exposed some of the copper wire. Since then I said eff it and have had a non operational speedo. I plan to take the sensor back off and re-solder it, it should be fine....I am thinking that my actual speedo may be bad. If thats the case I am going to say screw it and just run my tach. Does anyone know hit to manually reset the codes?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by emperor wurm
yea, I got the new speed sensor and installed it....nothing. I read through the manual that the code will reset after 50 start cycles, so I decided to wait till I hit that. I installed some pipes on the bike and would ride around without realizing that the damn Speed sensor wire was sitting ON THE PIPE!!! it melted the wire and exposed some of the copper wire. Since then I said eff it and have had a non operational speedo. I plan to take the sensor back off and re-solder it, it should be fine....I am thinking that my actual speedo may be bad. If thats the case I am going to say screw it and just run my tach. Does anyone know hit to manually reset the codes?
where is the speed sensor wire? Is that the one that runs under your exhaust seemingly back to your belt drive or transmission?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:40 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior

The speed sensor runs from under the seat where it connects to the main harness. It runs from there down behind the battery box and then behond the rear cylinder, almost directly above drive pulley. It is held in place with 1 allen head screw. Ill send you a picture if you need.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member

Eh I had it at the dealership today for turn signals and asked them to fix the speedometer. They put on a new VSS. It got better. It was to the point where 1/2 my ride to the dealer (1-1.5 hours away) was a 0mph speedometer. Most my ride home I had a MPH reading. However it did blip out twice then come back. I'm going to monitor it over the next few rides and see what happens. If not I'm calling them back.

Nothing like spending $90 and still having problems.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:22 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior

Yea, I think the issue is the speedo itself. if your still in warranty you should demand that they replace the entire speedo.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by emperor wurm
Yea, I think the issue is the speedo itself. if your still in warranty you should demand that they replace the entire speedo.
Im not unfortunately. I hope I don't have to get one but Ive been eyeing up a dakota digital for over a year now but 325 eek. Thatll hurt the wallet

Quick Reply: OK, WTF? Speed sensor install