Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner Comparison Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:42 AM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner Comparison Question

What would the difference be between SERT, TTS and Powervision? Why would one choose one over the other? Are there things one can do with one of them that you cannot do with the other?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:08 AM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I mainly went with the Powervision because it has a display that can be configured many different ways. You can also learn to tune it yourself on the street so no need to spend money for Dyno time.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1199290
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-by-admin.html

Last edited by CanuckSporty; 12-18-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Take a good look at the Cobra FI2000 Autotune. Search this forum, there are a lot o good reviews on that item and no dyno time.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:53 AM
fourburgs
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
Take a good look at the Cobra FI2000 Autotune. Search this forum, there are a lot o good reviews on that item and no dyno time.
+1 Couldn't agree more . Works for me

Old 12-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

I love my Cobra AutoTuner.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:07 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will be difficult to find a single person on this forum with firsthand experience of all three of the tuners you listed. Instead, do yourself a favor and go to the websites of each and learn about each respective tuner and what it can and can't do.

Truthfully, all you will probably find here is people who have experience with a single tuner, two at best, and they'll mostly just say "I love my {brand} tuner! It rocks!" Honestly, none of us here are going to have taken the time and the money to own each and learn it, nor do any of us own (that I know of) businesses that specialize in aftermarket tuners.

For example, I have experience with three - SERT, Thundermax, and TAB, but not the three you asked about, so my opinion is as worthless as this post I'm typing.

Everyone is well meaning, but it is unlikely you'll find what you're looking for here. Majority opinion - SURE, plenty of that, but honest experience capable of comparing the three - count me out among the rest.

Your best bet is your own homework. Can't blame you for trying this approach, however, just don't be overwhelmed by the response.

Last edited by schwingding; 12-18-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:13 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know that Whittlebeast has used all three that you mention. You may want to send him a PM. It`s from his recommendation that I went with the PV.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:22 PM
RLE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing that worried me about the cobra fi2000 autotune is that if you didnt like the tune there was absolutely nothing you could do about it. I went with the powervision from fuel moto. The tune they sent me ran great but came with alot of decel popping. Sent Jamie an email about it and he sent me a revised map that worked amazingly. Awesome throttle response and a beautiful rumble on decel. It works just great, along with the gauges you can run and the code reading capability this is the tuner of choice for me by far.
On previous bikes I have ran the cobra fi2000r (great fuel adding tuner) and the power commander 3 (total piece of **** without dyno tune or fuel moto help).
Don't know about the others.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:41 PM
VirgeB
Tourer

On the SERT you are pretty much tied to the dealer and a dyno for tunes. You can buy the software to tune it yourself but I would think you would really need to know what you are doing in oder to do it yourself.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:43 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by schwingding
so my opinion is as worthless as this post I'm typing.
Maybe, maybe not. At this time, I am pretty new to the bike scene and actually tuning it myself might be a little much for me. Initially, I will definitely hand it off to someone that is capable of tuning the bike professionally. Later on, if I find I like it, I might tweak it more to my liking or not. Not sure about that. How is the SERT for something like that where you are handing it over to someone for tuning? As I understand it, you connect the module and when you disconnect it, there are no extra piggy back units or what not and the tune is written to the ECM itself. Am I correct?

Why can't you tune with SERT and do it WITHOUT the dyno?

Quick Reply: Tuner Comparison Question