Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Trick Needed: Removing Peg Clip

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 PM
wpgb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Trick Needed: Removing Peg Clip

I thought I'd ask some of you more seasoned folks out there a quick question about removing my stock pegs. Maybe someone can help:

As you know, the stock foot pegs (mid) are attached to the bike with a bolt which goes through the bracket attached to the bike, the peg and the spring washer. It's then secured by a lovely little metal clip which one would think would come right off with no problem. The clip goes around the entire end of the bolt, ensuring that it stays on and the entire assembly stays intact.

Does anyone out there have a quick trick for removing that metal clip (without destroying it, of course)?

Removing the clip is the key for swapping out the stock foot pegs for aftermarkets. I did a "dry run" this evening and was successful but bent the clip slightly as well as put the spring washer back in incorrectly. I now need to remove the clip and do it all over again to properly place the spring washer back so any insight would be appreciated.

Oh, and by the way...I'm not a technical dude so I'm sure that my parts references are way off.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:59 PM
ntg433
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I buggered mine too taking them off. Ace hardware has new ones (for a pack of four about $1.00). The size is 3/8" IIRC. Cheaper than the dealer and made in USA.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:07 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, I went out in the garage and looked at the Nightster to see what you were talking about. If you are talking about the clip that goes on the pin that secures the peg to the mounting bracket itself, that is called an "external retaining ring". There are 2 ways to take those off....first is the correct way. There is the correct tool for that which makes it a breeze to take that clip off and put it back on. The tool looks like small pliers and has 2 pins at the end, which go into the holes on the clip, then you squeeze and it expands the clip....viola...its off. If you aren't planning on putting it back on, then use a small flat head screw driver and push it into the "split" between the 2 holes and twist and odds are that thing is going to shoot across the garage somewhere. LOL!!

Wouldn't it be easier to take the peg off at the frame instead of dealing with the clip? I just did that to paint the motor.

Good luck with your project man!!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:11 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceFace
Ok, I went out in the garage and looked at the Nightster to see what you were talking about. If you are talking about the clip that goes on the pin that secures the peg to the mounting bracket itself, that is called an "external retaining ring". There are 2 ways to take those off....first is the correct way. There is the correct tool for that which makes it a breeze to take that clip off and put it back on. The tool looks like small pliers and has 2 pins at the end, which go into the holes on the clip, then you squeeze and it expands the clip....viola...its off.

If you aren't planning on putting it back on, then use a small flat head screw driver and push it into the "split" between the 2 holes and twist and odds are that thing is going to shoot across the garage somewhere.
LOL!!

Good luck with your project man!!
What he said!

Since many people do not have a pair of snap ring pliers they end up losing or buggering up the rings when they pry them off with a screwdriver.

That is why we include a pair of new rings with each pair of foot pegs we ship out.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-31-2011, 07:31 AM
wpgb
Advanced

Damn this is a good forum! Thanks to everyone for their input. I now have everything I need. Seems like it should be a simple, simple, simple thing to do, but apparently not unless you have the right tools.....

Old 12-31-2011, 08:49 AM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 453 Posts
Old 12-31-2011, 09:47 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by wpgb
Damn this is a good forum! Thanks to everyone for their input. I now have everything I need. Seems like it should be a simple, simple, simple thing to do, but apparently not unless you have the right tools.....
The right tool for the right job makes all the difference. If you are going to do much wrenching on your bike, you will find that you will acquire a much better set of tools in the process. If you try the screwdriver technique you will definitely bend the ring out of the plane. A pair of reversible snapring pliers (they can push out or in as the application requires) from Sears is inexpensive and good to have on hand.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:55 PM
wpgb
Advanced

Got the pliers and the snap rings just to keep some on hand. They work together perfectly. Thanks again for the input. I believe that I will indeed collect a nice toolset as I work on the Sporty.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2011, 04:27 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ring plyers. I suggest getting a set with several different sizes. As well as straight tips and 90 degree tips.

Quick Reply: Quick Trick Needed: Removing Peg Clip