Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tear me down, build me up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tear me down, build me up.

First let me say thanks to all the guys who have chronicled their builds in this site and another I frequent, and also to the people who offer advice when I need it.

I've been wanting to add a sissy bar to my bike for some time, something that has form and function. I'm of the belief that if it doesn't have a solid purpose it doesn't need to be there. While looking hard at my bike I started really noticing all the little rust spots everywhere and little this and thats. Here's how I started one morning:

So I decided to completely tear it apart. Motor out, forks disassembled....

While everything is apart and easier to work on I decided to finally pull the trigger and do the sprocket cover chop and cam cover chop. Burned through some Dremel discs on the sprocket cover and some time using a hacksaw for the cam cover until I wised up and got a 4 1/2" grinder, flap discs....

Today I was looking at the rocker covers and how much crap had accumulated on them so I took one off, blasted it with some aircraft paint stripper, sanded it a bit and just put some wrinkle coat on it. The 3 coats are still fresh, so it hasn't wrinkled yet but I'm sure you can use you imagination.

AC stripper bubbling

Paint looks too smooth/glossy, we'll see

Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser

Here's my 10 second idea for the sissy bar and I got this headlamp in the mail the other day. Gonna replace the one I had on there, PC the trees,fork lowers and foot controls all a satin black, maybe 20% gloss I think. As much as I love my double barrel SikPipes, I more than likely will be going another direction. Maybe modify the drag pipes that were on there originally, some 2-1s.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:04 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow looking good, ill be watching the progress! good luck!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:36 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know about that sissy bar...looks to be about nutt-sack high.

Otherwise, I like the looks of the bike. Ever think about running some enduro tires? (Those tree's look a lot like Vulcan's)

Last edited by rickss69; 01-02-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
harlista01
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed

Old 01-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser

I've wanted to run enduro style tires for so long but I can't seem to find anything in the 16" rim size. If someone out there wants to trade some 17" rims for my 16" spokes I would probable do it post haste. The sissy bar will be something I think about before I get it fabbed up, so the 10 second drawing probably isn't the final idea.

Originally Posted by rickss69
I don't know about that sissy bar...looks to be about nutt-sack high.

Otherwise, I like the looks of the bike. Ever think about running some enduro tires? (Those tree's look a lot like Vulcan's)

Old 01-02-2012, 08:03 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

looks good so far dude. thought you wanted that sissy bar to be functional or it's not worth a damn? why dont you fab something off the axle mount and weld it directly to the rear fender. this way you can slam the fender and have a "functioning" sissy bar.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:09 AM
cavalier2000
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You going to do anything with the frame?

Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good. The tires you're looking at should come in an 18 as well, no? You can run an 18" hoop with your current hubs. that way you won't have to deal with spacers & setting up your brakes since all of that will stay exactly the same. You can probably find 17" hoops too but I imagine the 18" hoop & spokes would be less spendy since they're more common.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Ta2edShady
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cavalier2000
You going to do anything with the frame?
Aside from cut off some unused tabs, I don't think so. I wanna keep it a swing arm. I've gone back and forth around a thousand times whether I should make it a rigid.

Originally Posted by mreed
Looking good. The tires you're looking at should come in an 18 as well, no? You can run an 18" hoop with your current hubs. that way you won't have to deal with spacers & setting up your brakes since all of that will stay exactly the same. You can probably find 17" hoops too but I imagine the 18" hoop & spokes would be less spendy since they're more common.
Thanks for the validation that I had on some ideas last night concerning reusing my hubs with bigger rims. I looked last night for 40H 17" rims but maybe I'll expand the search for 18".

Quick Reply: Tear me down, build me up.