Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANYBODY EVER DONE A FAT TIRE 250 on a Sportster?

Old 01-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Matt St. John
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, I'm doing it for the missus so it wouldn't be a hard tail. But i don't think a 240 is too much.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:42 AM
cavalier2000
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen swingarm kits all over ebay that let you run a 250 tire.. but I don't know much about them

Old 01-09-2012, 06:11 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't do this to your bike. it will handle like complete ****, like an 18wheeler in the turns. fat tires suck, keep it skinny and use the whole tire!
BTW-diggin' sweetpea farm and what you're doing! Keep up the good work.

Last edited by bmxatv; 01-09-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Matt St. John
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bmxatv
don't do this to your bike. it will handle like complete ****, like an 18wheeler in the turns. fat tires suck, keep it skinny and use the whole tire!
BTW-diggin' sweetpea farm and what you're doing! Keep up the good work.

Not always, it depends entirely on your bikes set up. Rake trail et et et. I'm going to be doing this for my wife. She isn't going to be rocking the twisties like we would and I have no real desire to ride it. I look rediculous on her bike.

My bike has a 240 on it. 210 stock, on a 7.5in rim. I realize the proper size for a 240 is an 8.5in. The 7.5in rim pushes in on the sides of the 240 and gives it a little bit of a curve which aides in handeling and keeps the looks of a wide tire there.

I'm going to press on with the 240 in addition to some other suspension/wheel mods like a 21in wheel and progressive lowering springs in the front. It'll look good.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 PM
DanHuuN
Cruiser

Here you go. I want to do this to my sporty as well. I just think it's on the pricey side. Maybe you can get them to lower the price without including the rim. Keep me updated please and thank you.

http://www.seegercycle.com/sportster..._tire_kit.aspx

Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

personal preference i guess st. john but it's not about the twisties though so to speak. i would think it will be easier for your wife to handle the bike in a corner with a stock size tire rather than a giant 250. a normal corner dude, not some twisty winding road! idk man, something to think about. does she want a wide tire on that bike or do you... (lol)
not a big fan of this....sorry.

welcome to the boards btw, stay safe out there.

Last edited by bmxatv; 01-09-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's cool she wants to do the fat tire kit on her bike and I love the looks of them. About 2 years ago I checked into the Bros's kit and I want to say it was like $2500ish for the kit and they only thing is did not come with was a plate mount, taillight and paint. I agree that a 200mm is not a big step up-the 250 kit is just right. You just have to ask yourself-do I want to put this much money in a sporty? you will never get it back.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Matt St. John
6th Gear

my wife's wanted a fat tire on every bike she's ever rode. we didn't want to put the money into them because they were just temp bikes. this one is going to be here for a while so i'm looking at doing what she wants.

also, like i said before, it's all about how the bikes set up as far as how it handles with a 250.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 AM
hppsco
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Tires and such

Thank you for the Sweet Pea Farm compliment..........

When I had my Aprilia Falco 1000 - I bought it sight unseen. I proceeded to rip it apart and change it to the ideas I wanted. I am sure we all know when we do this to a bike, we do not intend to sell it, and pursue the looks we want for the sheer joy and passion of just changing the bike and experimenting.

I was able to win a few trophies with my bike, ride it occasionally, and show it off alot. Sadly, the bike burned when my garage burned down, I had taken it apart to change it again, had spent 16k on "parts and pieces" and lost everything in the end, as it was not insured at the time.

My Sportster, I purchased at an auction house, with the sole purpose of doing the same - ripping it apart and changing it. I plan to change the front wheel to a 26 inch, the back to 250, the rims, handlebars, forks, pipes, fenders, air cleaner cover, and tank. I have already changed the grips, levers, mirrors and you have seen my seat. All my bikes I have changed, and ripped apart, for the sheer joy and passion of it. None of my bikes have stayed stock. Stock BORES me. So, thanks for the feedback and interest!

Attached Thumbnails ANYBODY EVER DONE A FAT TIRE 250 on a Sportster?-aprilia.jpg   ANYBODY EVER DONE A FAT TIRE 250 on a Sportster?-2011-09-09_17-30-42_112.jpg   ANYBODY EVER DONE A FAT TIRE 250 on a Sportster?-2011-09-09_17-31-20_757.jpg   ANYBODY EVER DONE A FAT TIRE 250 on a Sportster?-eclipse-savage-rims.jpg   ANYBODY EVER DONE A FAT TIRE 250 on a Sportster?-2012-01-07_14-23-02_709.jpg  

Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 AM
bdavis310
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hppsco
Thank you for the Sweet Pea Farm compliment..........

When I had my Aprilia Falco 1000 - I bought it sight unseen. I proceeded to rip it apart and change it to the ideas I wanted. I am sure we all know when we do this to a bike, we do not intend to sell it, and pursue the looks we want for the sheer joy and passion of just changing the bike and experimenting.

I was able to win a few trophies with my bike, ride it occasionally, and show it off alot. Sadly, the bike burned when my garage burned down, I had taken it apart to change it again, had spent 16k on "parts and pieces" and lost everything in the end, as it was not insured at the time.

My Sportster, I purchased at an auction house, with the sole purpose of doing the same - ripping it apart and changing it. I plan to change the front wheel to a 26 inch, the back to 250, the rims, handlebars, forks, pipes, fenders, air cleaner cover, and tank. I have already changed the grips, levers, mirrors and you have seen my seat. All my bikes I have changed, and ripped apart, for the sheer joy and passion of it. None of my bikes have stayed stock. Stock BORES me. So, thanks for the feedback and interest!
I say give it hell. Customization is fun. This was my nightster when I bought it.

And this is my nightster now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ANYBODY EVER DONE A FAT TIRE 250 on a Sportster?