Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bassani pro street exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:22 PM
hutch08
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They actually make 2 versions of the pipe, one for mids and one for forwards. Both are available in black or chrome and with straight cut or slash cut tips.

Forwards:

Mids:

You can see that the front header is a different shape, you can use mids or forwards on the first model, but strictly mids only on the second model, probably due to the location of the mounting bracket for the forwards.

Note: first is 07+ , second is 04-06, just couldn't find a good side shot of the 07+ for the comparison.

Seeing I'm running mids on my bike, I'm gonna opt for the second model, I think its more esthetically pleasing and "flows" better.

Last edited by hutch08; 01-12-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:23 PM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hutch08
Seeing I'm running mids on my bike, I'm gonna opt for the second model, I think its more esthetically pleasing and "flows" better.
Aesthetically pleasing sure but how did you determine it flows better when you lose scavenging? I hear lots of people say that but I am trying to determine, before I pull the trigger in spring, how the came up with that. I am looking for the highest flowing AC and best flowing set of pipes. I could care less what it looks like or what it sounds like or how impressed others are with it so I am looking for hard facts on how something works.

Once I figure out performance, I'll get someone with more appreciation of aesthetics to help me select what looks good from the top performers

Old 01-12-2012, 01:24 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Definitely correct, from a strictly performance view, 2-1 is the way to go. Especially with the bobcat, heard nothing but good about them.

Lots of times we choose form over function, if I wanted maximum performance I wouldn't have bought a balloon tired "48".
2-2 drags compliment the particular look I'm after.

And from what I've read, the Bassani pro streets are actually a pretty well performing pipe, compared to the usual 2-2 V&H Straigh Shots.
My first choice would be function. Form is a 2nd choice for me. I simply hate to buy something and find out later that I should have paid a bit more and gotten twice what I have and need to buy the right thing the 2nd time instead of getting it done right the first time.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:51 PM
hutch08
Road Captain

Originally Posted by aklim
Aesthetically pleasing sure but how did you determine it flows better when you lose scavenging? I hear lots of people say that but I am trying to determine, before I pull the trigger in spring, how the came up with that. I am looking for the highest flowing AC and best flowing set of pipes. I could care less what it looks like or what it sounds like or how impressed others are with it so I am looking for hard facts on how something works.

Once I figure out performance, I'll get someone with more appreciation of aesthetics to help me select what looks good from the top performers
Haha, in the statement "I think its more esthetically pleasing and "flows" better." Flow was referring to the shape of the pipes in relation to the bike, pure looks. Compared to the other design for forward controls. NOT exhaust flow.

From the reading that I've done, I'm pretty sure the D&D Bobcat is a top contender from a performance standpoint. I know with exhaust design from my motocross background, there's usually some compromise of where you want the power. One particular design will give you max Hp on WOT, but no bottom end, the other will deliver tons of torque down low but fall flat on top. Then there's everything in between, just depends on what you want the power for.

From D&D's website:

The D&D Bobcat Sportster pipes are built for Harley-Davidson Sportsters for performance, torque and soul-satisfying tone. Available in black or chrome with polished aluminum, black, or carbon muffler. The stepped 2-into-1 exhaust system comes with full heatshields. Enthusiasts will experience as much as 10% increase in torque and horsepower (with hi-flow a/c and tuner). The Bobcat Sportster exhaust system was created on the dyno to dial in the performance where you need it most... off idle and in the passing zone. The pipe delivers increase power and torque across the entire RPM range.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:52 PM
hutch08
Road Captain

andddd.... the supplier on eBay wont ship to Canada! There goes that deal!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Haha, in the statement "I think its more esthetically pleasing and "flows" better." Flow was referring to the shape of the pipes in relation to the bike, pure looks. Compared to the other design for forward controls. NOT exhaust flow.

From the reading that I've done, I'm pretty sure the D&D Bobcat is a top contender from a performance standpoint. I know with exhaust design from my motocross background, there's usually some compromise of where you want the power. One particular design will give you max Hp on WOT, but no bottom end, the other will deliver tons of torque down low but fall flat on top. Then there's everything in between, just depends on what you want the power for.

From D&D's website:

The D&D Bobcat Sportster pipes are built for Harley-Davidson Sportsters for performance, torque and soul-satisfying tone. Available in black or chrome with polished aluminum, black, or carbon muffler. The stepped 2-into-1 exhaust system comes with full heatshields. Enthusiasts will experience as much as 10% increase in torque and horsepower (with hi-flow a/c and tuner). The Bobcat Sportster exhaust system was created on the dyno to dial in the performance where you need it most... off idle and in the passing zone. The pipe delivers increase power and torque across the entire RPM range.
Problem with aesthetics is that it is hard to say. Your bike looks like crap to one guy and might be the cat's meow to the next, no offense.

I believe Bassini was also recommended but the clearance was supposed to be worse but the question is whether I will lean at that angle or not. IDK.

As to performance, I think top HP isn't that good since I am not full out racing where I am constantly at WOT. I would believe low to midrange torque is going to be best especiall when the wife gets on it. I am about 220 with the gear and the wife will be no more than 120

Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The performance aspect of the Bassani's are great too......If you look at the pictures, you can see that the pipes are "stepped" using three different size pipes and have baffles in the last larger pipe section. The "stepping" and baffling mixed with the shape & length of the pipes causes you to not loose any back pressure so that you have your low end torque, but still flows alot more air for your WOT Hp. Bassani has been in the "performance" exhaust manufacturing & design business for quite a while.

And for air cleaner, I'm running the Big Sucker II.

I got no problem taking off 2-Up.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

andddd.... the supplier on eBay wont ship to Canada! There goes that deal!
ok so who is the supplier so another forum member can jump on it??? lol.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
The performance aspect of the Bassani's are great too......If you look at the pictures, you can see that the pipes are "stepped" using three different size pipes and have baffles in the last larger pipe section. The "stepping" and baffling mixed with the shape & length of the pipes causes you to not loose any back pressure so that you have your low end torque, but still flows alot more air for your WOT Hp. Bassani has been in the "performance" exhaust manufacturing & design business for quite a while.

And for air cleaner, I'm running the Big Sucker II.

I got no problem taking off 2-Up.
The "Road Rage" 2 into 1, I can see. Maybe even the slip on units that use the equalizer system that is stock. I was curious about those that seem to vent each cylinder to atmosphere. Sure, there is less back pressure but without the equalizer or in cars, the X or H pipe, you will lose scavenging when each exhaust pulse dumps out without creating a pulling effect for the next cylinder, won't you? http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...Scavenging.pdf

Old 01-13-2012, 01:32 PM
hutch08
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bmxatv
ok so who is the supplier so another forum member can jump on it??? lol.
There listed on ebay, if you do a quick search i'm sure you can find them, they're listed for 299... if not I can post the link.

You could always buy the 2 available sets and ship one up here to a fellow forum member..... Just sayin'

Quick Reply: Bassani pro street exhaust