Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long trips on a sportster?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:27 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

justdont get a le para barebones seat, I can barely ride 1 hour with it and my drag bars.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:32 PM
2012Nightster
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good replies... Thanks!

1. I'll have to look into Mustang seats... I thought Corbin was the choice in aftermarket seats... have they gone the way of the dodo?

2. Earplugs is a great idea... I do a lot of shooting for sport so I have a nice set of Surefire E4 plugs that will do nicely under my helmet... thanks for the suggestion.

3. Someone made mention about getting into trouble with the full dresser and I have to agree that the sporty's just seem like they are easier to handle and thus more versatile.

Again, good comments and keep them coming!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Big_Redneck
Tourer

I found that the mustang seat just cradles you're butt better. Seems more comfy on longer rides. A gel pad doesn't hurt, but I felt like I was sliding on my seat with one.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012Nightster
Understood... I admit I have plenty of reading to do being new here and all. As for toughness I am/was a US Marine so I can deal with being uncomfortable!

You have nothing to worry about. Even if you leave the bike stock.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Texasbrons
Cruiser

Well, the cruisers may be more comfortable than your sporty, but everyone that I know that has one is still rubbing out the kinks and pains when they get off of them after a couple of hours too. Get yourself a quick detach windshield, that will help getting worn out from the wind hitting you full force the entire way. Probably the best thing you can do. Pack light and make sure you have some rain gear. When you get to where your going, you can leave the windshield in your room or tent or wherever. I prefer riding without mine anyway. On long trips it does help though.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:11 PM
2012Nightster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Texasbrons
Well, the cruisers may be more comfortable than your sporty, but everyone that I know that has one is still rubbing out the kinks and pains when they get off of them after a couple of hours too. Get yourself a quick detach windshield, that will help getting worn out from the wind hitting you full force the entire way. Probably the best thing you can do. Pack light and make sure you have some rain gear. When you get to where your going, you can leave the windshield in your room or tent or wherever. I prefer riding without mine anyway. On long trips it does help though.

Yeah, I've been looking at detachable windshields and the 3 position highway pegs. Other than that and a more comfy seat all I'm really worried about is where and how to pack/carry extra clothing/rain gear. I'm a light packer out of habit but I have no idea where to put what little I do plan to carry along. I'll think of something. The other thing I really like about my bike it the stripped down nature of it so "bolting" on racks and bags, etc just doesn't do it for me.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:47 PM
unclebobis1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im taking a long bike trip on a sportster Anyone this summer to va to florida keys I got a windshield for christmas and it does make a huge difference on highway and I've got a sissybar bag that's decent size I wanna get saddlebags and a cruise mate before the trip I bought my mom and step dad cruisemates for their bikes and rode em around seems like it'll really help with right hand on long trips

Old 01-13-2012, 02:49 PM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I went with Easy Brackets and bags - had to relocate my turn signals though. I like that they quick detach.

If you can travel light enough, a good size TBag carries a lot. Requires a sissy bar.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:56 PM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last summer I took a ride to TN from NJ on my converted 883.
That being said ..GOOD SEAT and a WINDSHIELD ..set up properly is all you'll need for the ride. Sure you'll need to pack lighter than you would with a tourer, and you won't have a radio ..but an mp3 player works FINE !!! There is nothing you can't do on a sportster! Have A safe Trip

SIGNATURE PIC IS THE BIKE AS IT WAS SET UP ON THE WAY TO TN

Old 01-13-2012, 04:01 PM
2012Nightster
Intermediate

^^^ Holy smokes... that is one loaded down sportster! I don't think there is any trip where I'll require that much stuff, however, my wife has no interest in riding so I'll be riding by myself and packing for one. I can't imagine riding a motorcycle with that many bags strapped on. What does that feel like when a big gust of wind comes your way?

Quick Reply: Long trips on a sportster?!?!?