Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperLow Owners Meeting Place!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:10 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll jump in here too. Like anyone else, I've wanted a Harley as long as I can recall. Something else always seems to put it off. "next summer, for sure". Summer of 2010, my girlfriend goes out and buys a 1980 KZ750 and starts rebuilding it in the garage. So with the pressure on I decide it's time to finally go out and buy a bike. I really wanted a black Iron. But when I walked into Southtowns Buffalo Harley in October, they were all out. I could have looked around for one, I could have waited until January. The salesman took me over to the sportys they had on the floor, and turned to walk away. I asked him if I could sit on the superlow, and he nodded. I sat down, pulled it up and everything felt just right. "Yea, I'll take it"

I'm 6' 1", 190. I got it in October, and even though it was a brutal winter, had 1,000 miles on it before the snow melted. Changed out the usual things to get a better fit. I couldn't see anything in the stock mirrors, so I got some long stemmed ones. Little bit fatter grips. Forward controls were an easy swap to do, and feel so much better. I thought I'd lose some control, but they're not that far out there. Bags were by far the best thing I added. Not great for the looks of the bike, but functionally so much better. The rest is mostly cosmetic.

I'm mostly happy with the bike as-is, but of course can't leave well enough alone. The seat has got to go. This summer I'll likely change out the exhaust and air cleaner. Eventually I'll do a 1250 to it. My now wife sold the KZ, got a 1979 CM400 which is almost finished, but we're planning to get her a Superlow of her own soon.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3175794...th/5074008894/ Shows the progression of things, but this is how she sits right now:

Last edited by DizWolf; 01-17-2012 at 10:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Marsikus (04-05-2021)
Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DikWolf, I absolutely love the saddlebags on your bike. By far, those are the best looking on a SuperLow. And, they look roomy! Finally, I love your pictures. They look like they were taken professionally.

Last edited by ColoHarleyGirl; 01-17-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:24 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl
DikWolf, I absolutely love the saddlebags on your bike. By far, those are the best looking on a SuperLow. And, they look roomy.
Thanks! I went through just about every option before getting these. The biggest hangup was having to move the rear turn signals. I don't mind buying parts, but I love the way they look were they are.

You can always use more space, but they let me load enough. Being able to toss my jacket in a bag, some spare glasses, and a water bottle makes a big difference when you just head out with no plan or destination.

Not really pro on the photos. I just manage to stuff my Canon 7D into those bags

My wife's 5'4" and I've let her ride a few times. (It's hard to get to the dealer for warranty work when you only have Sundays off). She can ride it fine, but isn't a big fan of the forwards. I think it's because I've still got the stock pegs on, which drop about an inch from the mount. I believe she'd like upgraded pegs or mini-boards, but she claims to like the mids better. I was always catching a pantleg on them and damn near spilling over.

Another reason to love bags.... I let the wife ride the bike out to dinner one night to cheer her up. She was backing into a space and forgot about two things. Physics and Gravity. It toppled over on the right side. It took every part of me not to laugh my *** off. She's standing there when I walk up thinking I'm going to kill her. The bike came perfectly to rest on the saddlebag, the peg folded up and it sat on that, and the third point was the front brake lever. Lever bent a tiny bit and scratched up some. Not another scratch anywhere. Tilt sensor killed the motor when it went over. Nice feature. Lifted it up, rode it around a bit. No problems. I told her not to bother, but she swapped out the lever for me a week later.

As for the warranty work, I've got a ghost in my machine. If you leave the ignition on ACC, and have the key fob within distance, hitting the starter starts the bike with no key. They've tried 3 new ignitions, even stole one off a floor bike. Can't figure it out. Since I have the security system, the combination of events to let someone steal the bike is never going to happen. I'm curious as to why, but not really worried. They've offered to keep trying, but I told them not to worry about it.

Last edited by DizWolf; 01-17-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:26 AM
131tman
Road Master

5'2" 883Low

Last edited by 131tman; 02-01-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:55 PM
JTimes
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great pictures DizWolf! You have some beautiful places to ride there in New York. I agree with Lonnie...love your saddlebags! I have a question for you - what kind of luggage rack did you put on your bike? I'm leaning towards getting the detachable one.

On another note, I got my Mustang seat in yesterday so just I'm just waiting for it to warm up a little bit more so I can go out and test it out.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser

Got the rack here: http://www.motherwellproducts.com/SO...mwl-210-04.htm

You'll also need to order a fender nut for about $6. I was leaning toward detachable as well, but it wouldn't work with my saddlebag supports. And with only two screws to turn, this one is pretty easy to remove as I need.

NY is a pretty good place to just get lost taking random turns. I'm planning to get lost more often in the finger lakes area this year. My bags tend to come home heavy a few bottles of wine during my searches for a road I know.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:14 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DizWolf
As for the warranty work, I've got a ghost in my machine. If you leave the ignition on ACC, and have the key fob within distance, hitting the starter starts the bike with no key. They've tried 3 new ignitions, even stole one off a floor bike. Can't figure it out. Since I have the security system, the combination of events to let someone steal the bike is never going to happen. I'm curious as to why, but not really worried. They've offered to keep trying, but I told them not to worry about it.
Wow! with no key in the ignition the bike starts?! I will have to try it to see if my bike will do the same. I think I would not mine that feature as long as no one else knows about it....Hummm I could use another Sporty...Where did you say you live?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser

Naw. The nice thing is without the keyfob near the bike it won't start. I haven't tried using the pin overide (entered by clicking the turn signals in order). You could in theory hardwire around the ignition and get the same effect. I still haven't tested to see if the bike dies if the fob goes out of range.

My lack of concern comes from the fact I never leave the bike in ACC, and even if I did, someone would need my keyfob...which if they get that, also has the key on it.

Lonnie: when you did the stage one, what'd you use to tune?

Jtimes: let me know how that seat works out, and how it moves you on the bike compared to stock.

Thanks....now I'm itching to start changing things again

Last edited by DizWolf; 01-18-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:35 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl
I saw that Mike Z put on a cow bell and I am very interested in how he was able to mount it on the bike. If I can do this, I will also be adding a Mini Beastie air horn. YOUR TURN!
Lonnie, great idea with this thread. I think the SuperLow is somewhat underappreciated, maybe because it's a relatively new model. It's my favorite Sporty and really the most comfortable to ride . . .

Regarding the horn, I had an indy install it. Tank had to come off. Before you go with an air horn, try the stock one on the 1200 or a Big Twin. Plenty loud enough IMO. I've used it on a few occasions and it delivered.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 AM
KrychRT
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got mine used about 3 weeks ago. Im 27...5'10...first Harley after years on a cbr600rr...quite the difference and after riding my dads fat boy...I needed to be a part of the "gang"

Attached Thumbnails SuperLow Owners Meeting Place!-dsc_2962-small-.jpg  

Quick Reply: SuperLow Owners Meeting Place!