General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

History Chanel, Vrod, what's a Vrod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:16 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation History Chanel, Vrod, what's a Vrod?

Hey,

I watched the history channel's production on Harley Vrods,
then I went to the Vrod section of the HDForum & found about 8 posts.
I haven't seen any but I'm confined to Israel, how many have you seen on the road?

Aren't you glad you bought a real Harley!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave, I attend Church with a gent who has had a V-rod for a long time, well, as long as the V-rod has existed. That thing is pretty quick, my son who along with his wife each ride an R-1, was impressed when he took a ride on the V-rod. My son 6' 5" and 250 lbs. so he didn't care for being all folded up on it but liked it anyway.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If i bought a V-rod some day this would be it.

Attached Thumbnails History Chanel, Vrod, what's a Vrod?-12-night-rod-special-bs-small-.jpg  
Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They're all over the place here. I only like one of the ones that are in town. It's a Muscle or something.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

my son in law rides an '07 (I think it is) Night Rod. I really like it. 115 or 120 HP. Very quick bike. It likes to rev pretty high, he says it really hits its power curve at about 5000 RPM. And it has one of the loudest slip ons I've ever heard.

I'm more of a traditionalist though, I don't think I'd ever own one. I see it as a 'next generation' Harley. He does surprise the crotch rockets that think they are going to blow the doors off a Harley Davidson.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Firebird1989
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwagar
my son in law rides an '07 (I think it is) Night Rod. I really like it. 115 or 120 HP. Very quick bike. It likes to rev pretty high, he says it really hits its power curve at about 5000 RPM. And it has one of the loudest slip ons I've ever heard.

I'm more of a traditionalist though, I don't think I'd ever own one. I see it as a 'next generation' Harley. He does surprise the crotch rockets that think they are going to blow the doors off a Harley Davidson.
Yes they are very fun bikes, I have ridden a 2010 Night rod special and it was pretty damn fast. (also look up V-Rod Destroyer)

Another bike that is pretty interesting was a Buell XB12s. One of my friends has an all black one with a full exhaust. Pretty weird seeing a little sport bike idling and sounding like a Harley. The torque and low end power was amazing and I am really considering a Buell along with my Sportster some day.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have both a Sporty and a VROD. The Sporty is being cut up and chopped into mostly a show bike, as it's just ZERO fun to me after hopping on my VROD. 0-100km/h in 3 seconds, big, heavy and comfortable, solid as rails on highways.

To each his own, but like I said, I have one of both and the moment I got on my V I never cared to ride the Sporty again.

You'll find a lot of opinions on this site, but not a lot of people who can select either from their garage and choose the sportster over their vrod.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:45 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

i would not be caught dead on a vrod.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

So I guess they are selling.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:17 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
So I guess they are selling.
When I bought mine last April/May the dealership had to source one from another state. However I was just at that store last week and there are five brand new vrods on the floor and three used rods.

They are not Harley's biggest seller, they're in a totally different category than air cooled Harleys, not quite cruiser, not quite sportbike. Their appeal is limited, and despite the hazing they get from both sides, any cruiser riders who have ever climbed on my bike has instant admiration, and the sport bike guys look at us as some strange exotic beast they're not quite sure what to do with. They can ride away from us like we can from the air cooled bikes, but the rice burners are envious of the attention our bikes get.

Limited appeal in terms of market saturation, full on straight line performance, not nearly as nimble in the turns as a sportster, but way more comfortable for both driver and passenger.

Quick Reply: History Chanel, Vrod, what's a Vrod?