Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch/Brake lever replacement.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Berts
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Brake lever replacement.

So I scratched up my Clutch lever pretty bad and want to replace it. The only problem is that if I buy from Harley it's $100 for both the clutch and brake lever. I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere I could get a stock 2012 Iron clutch lever for cheap or if you have any suggestions on some cool levers.

Also, are they hard to install? I have limited mechanical knowledge.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:52 PM
VirgeB
Tourer

Tons of places to include ebay. All you have to do is search.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:03 PM
MrCookie
Tourer

I like the choices at debrix.com

Old 02-07-2012, 09:37 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

ebay or craigslist

Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you don't know what you're doing, the brake lever is quite tricky. To begin with, you need to put a piece of cardboard between the brake lever and the housing before you open up the switch housing. If you don't, the brake light switch will break.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:40 AM
pointdogg48
Tourer

dood, i just bought the one from drag specialties for $30 for brake + clutch. its an exact match to the stock HD part. I swapped out my clutch lever last night which was easy.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:58 PM
jerryw618
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
If you don't know what you're doing, the brake lever is quite tricky. To begin with, you need to put a piece of cardboard between the brake lever and the housing before you open up the switch housing. If you don't, the brake light switch will break.

Any more info on changeing the brake lever ??? im about to change the levers and dont want to bust aswitch

Old 04-20-2012, 03:25 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,631 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I had to remove my throttle and switch housings when my bike got knocked over and it pinched a wire to my start/run/stop switch. Don't really recall any problem with the brake switch. There is a plunger like piece the brake lever fits to, as I recall. Of course, my bike is a 1991 and they may have changed how it goes together over the years.

John

Old 04-20-2012, 03:49 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like already posted, clutch lever is easy. I rerouted my clutch cable due to installing higher bars, and took the lever off so I could just run it through the front forks, rather than remove the headlight. From what I remember:

For the clutch side, you'll need a snap ring tool, or some small needlenose pliers and a new snap ring. Start by sliding up the rubber cover on the clutch cable, near the frame, it should be clipped to the frame with some wires. Loosen the locknut under the cover and adjust the cable putting in as much slack as you can. The lever is attached to the controls with a pin, which has that snapring on the underside. Remove that snapring, and the pin comes out, then just pull your loosened cable through the control housing. There is a small black "clip" looking thing on the underside of the clutch lever, it's there so the lever doesn't vibrate. Take it off (single black phillips head screw) and put it on the new lever. Attach the cable to the new lever and put it back together, then readjust the clutch cable (1/16" to 1/8" slack at the lever).

Not sure on the brake side.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 PM
jerryw618
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeofinsanity
Like already posted, clutch lever is easy. I rerouted my clutch cable due to installing higher bars, and took the lever off so I could just run it through the front forks, rather than remove the headlight. From what I remember:

For the clutch side, you'll need a snap ring tool, or some small needlenose pliers and a new snap ring. Start by sliding up the rubber cover on the clutch cable, near the frame, it should be clipped to the frame with some wires. Loosen the locknut under the cover and adjust the cable putting in as much slack as you can. The lever is attached to the controls with a pin, which has that snapring on the underside. Remove that snapring, and the pin comes out, then just pull your loosened cable through the control housing. There is a small black "clip" looking thing on the underside of the clutch lever, it's there so the lever doesn't vibrate. Take it off (single black phillips head screw) and put it on the new lever. Attach the cable to the new lever and put it back together, then readjust the clutch cable (1/16" to 1/8" slack at the lever).

Not sure on the brake side.

I have all the tools and ive done clutch lever and clutch cable replacements , i am just not sure where the little brake light switch is on the brake lever to put tha cardboard in ? i guess ill have too drive up too storage and dig out my shop manuals

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch/Brake lever replacement.