Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INSTALL: Vance & Hines Short Shots Quiet Baffles

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:35 PM
jmat1980
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default INSTALL: Vance & Hines Short Shots Quiet Baffles

Im new to Harleys, and fairly new to motorcycles. My previous bike was a Yamaha R6 a few years ago. My Harley 48 is being delivered on Fri, and I have already ordered some parts. The first that I just received are the Vance and Hines Short Shots (black). I was researching them a bit and learned that the quiet baffles give it a deeper tone and quiet it down just a hair. I then listened to some of the you tube videos of these pipes and decided to order the quiet baffles (dont forget to order 2 of them) I searched on the web for some install instructions and found nothing, so I decided to write some. Even though the install is fairly self explanatory, I would have liked to go into it with some tips, so here they are...

First, these are much easier to install with the pipes off the bike. I cant have imagined doing it with the pipes installed.

Here is the pipe, obviously, you need to slip off the black heat shield before beginning

Here you can see the standard baffle inside the pipe before it is removed

First you need to remove the set screw with an allen wrench. I dont know what size it is because the wrench wasnt marked, I just have a box and picked the size that fit

Here is the new vance and hines quiet baffle you will be installing. Be sure to leave on the fiberglass wrap and the tape that secures it to the baffle

I used a hook tool to extract the standard baffle. The only real place to hook on to it is the threads there the set screw goes. Hook on and pull until enough is out that you can grab it with your hand and pull it all the way out

Here is the standard baffle coming out

These are the two baffles side by side

Before installing the quiet baffle, turn the white fiberglass to be sure it is not covering the threads where the set screw goes

Insert the quiet baffle in the end of the pipe. I started with the set screw holes on opposite sides because it helps to keep the fiberglass from bunching up by twisting it as you push it in. You will have to tuck it as you go. By the time you push and twist, the holes will line up. Towards the end, once it was lined up, I used a piece of wood and a dead blow hammer to get it in that last bit and line up the holes

Re-install the set screw using some blue lock tite and your done....
I will write up the install of the pipes on the bike once I do it...

Last edited by jmat1980; 02-08-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:25 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

nice job and good pics!!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smartpartz Hard Kore Quiet Baffles V&H Staggered Short Shots
Harshness gone, nice deep tone...worth it!
http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZVHSHS.html

Old 02-09-2012, 04:13 PM
sexpanther
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pics and install help.

I have the quiet baffles and the smartpartz ones shown above. Still too damn loud, think my neighbours are going to lynch me

Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 PM
ShAwTWiN
Advanced
Old 02-09-2012, 10:05 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

nice write up, but no fning baffles for my bike!
i love setting off cage alarms in parking lots... (big-smile!)

Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Emil04
Stage I

Hey there, do you have a how to for the actual exhaust installation? I love the pics and step by step for the baffles.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 AM
elmerdytioco
Stage II

Originally Posted by jmat1980
Im new to Harleys, and fairly new to motorcycles. My previous bike was a Yamaha R6 a few years ago. My Harley 48 is being delivered on Fri, and I have already ordered some parts. The first that I just received are the Vance and Hines Short Shots (black). I was researching them a bit and learned that the quiet baffles give it a deeper tone and quiet it down just a hair. I then listened to some of the you tube videos of these pipes and decided to order the quiet baffles (dont forget to order 2 of them) I searched on the web for some install instructions and found nothing, so I decided to write some. Even though the install is fairly self explanatory, I would have liked to go into it with some tips, so here they are...

First, these are much easier to install with the pipes off the bike. I cant have imagined doing it with the pipes installed.

Here is the pipe, obviously, you need to slip off the black heat shield before beginning

Here you can see the standard baffle inside the pipe before it is removed

First you need to remove the set screw with an allen wrench. I dont know what size it is because the wrench wasnt marked, I just have a box and picked the size that fit

Here is the new vance and hines quiet baffle you will be installing. Be sure to leave on the fiberglass wrap and the tape that secures it to the baffle

I used a hook tool to extract the standard baffle. The only real place to hook on to it is the threads there the set screw goes. Hook on and pull until enough is out that you can grab it with your hand and pull it all the way out

Here is the standard baffle coming out

These are the two baffles side by side

Before installing the quiet baffle, turn the white fiberglass to be sure it is not covering the threads where the set screw goes

Insert the quiet baffle in the end of the pipe. I started with the set screw holes on opposite sides because it helps to keep the fiberglass from bunching up by twisting it as you push it in. You will have to tuck it as you go. By the time you push and twist, the holes will line up. Towards the end, once it was lined up, I used a piece of wood and a dead blow hammer to get it in that last bit and line up the holes

Re-install the set screw using some blue lock tite and your done....
I will write up the install of the pipes on the bike once I do it...
I installed mine w pipes already on bike. No need to take pipes off. Just remove heat shields. Don't worry about deforming the hose clamps because you can bend them back to shape later on. Then follow steps above. Difficult to remove stock baffles so I replaced set screw INSIDE the baffle for leverage and hooked it out with an Allen wrench and pliers. Sprayed it up with some wd40 and out it came. I then used scotch tape to keep fiber glass wrap from bunching up when putting new baffles in thinking that the tape would just burn off from the heat. A bit tricky to put the rear heat shield back on. I had to jam it back in place a bit. Whole process took 45 minutes. Very happy with my pipes now

Last edited by elmerdytioco; 10-21-2012 at 06:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MadDaddy (12-04-2018)
Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Tred
6th Gear
Default Baffle

Thanks elmerdytioco! I was looking at putting my baffles in tonight, your post is going to help a TON! I just got my pipes, I wasn't too bright when I only bought one baffle, waiting on the second. I will prep them so when my other one arrives, I'll be good to go. Great post!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 PM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice! You might be new to Harley's but you know your way around a wrench

dont forget to post pics and a sound video of your bike!

Quick Reply: INSTALL: Vance & Hines Short Shots Quiet Baffles