Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheap coil relocation bracket, how I did it

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 04:23 PM
JasonDeal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap coil relocation bracket, how I did it

I think I was into this for about 3 bucks for the L bracket, 6 for the aluminum stock and about 3 for the fasteners. these are the parts I used, from Home Depot

I measured out the aluminum a little long, made my first bend, measured across the top and made my second bend, then cut off the excess. I took the L bracket and cut the excess off of one side to mount to the aluminum then held the coil up to see how short to make the other side of the L. I drilled holes for 1/4 inch fasteners and made sure everything fit together before I painted it.

Mount the coil to the L bracket first

Mount the L bracket loosely to the aluminum crossover bracket so that you can square everything up once it is mounted to the engine

So minus the short coil wire that I ordered from the dealer, which I think was 8 bucks, here is the finished product

Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 PM
usetheBFH
Intermediate

Looks good, boy them yellow Irons are bright.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 PM
galic73
Intermediate

Looks good, nice job

Old 02-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That aluminum bracket is going to break from fatigue. I made two just like that and they each lasted about a month. I made another one out of 1/8 steel and it has lasted 2 years now.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
JasonDeal
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
That aluminum bracket is going to break from fatigue. I made two just like that and they each lasted about a month. I made another one out of 1/8 steel and it has lasted 2 years now.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll get a piece of steel flat stock an just repeat the process.

Did you heat the steal or just bend it.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whether or not it brakes tomorrow, it's a damn good job!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
Originally Posted by JasonDeal
Thanks for the heads up, I'll get a piece of steel flat stock an just repeat the process.

Been there, done that. Aluminum won't last 90% of the time. Also 1/8" steel will fatigue and break with time...sometimes in 5 years, sometimes in 5 weeks.

Use 3/16" thick steel and keep at least 3/16" meat between your holes and the edge of the bracket. You should have something that will hold up then.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Use no less than a mapp gas torch to heat it, propane won't cut it. It's much easier to make clean bends when it's cherry red. And as tempting as it is, don't cool it off in water. Let it cool naturally or it'll be brittle. Get 3/4" wide by 3/16" thick flat stock and it'll work fine. A good tip is to have some tubing or conduit with an inner diameter the same as the width of the flat stock and sleeve that over it. It'll give you a nice straight bend and provide good leverage.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:04 PM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

After doing the standard style bracket making a few times, I changed it up a bit. I wanted to actually have a piece made without heating anything, so I figured I'd use angle iron. It was a good idea, but my local Lowe's/Home Depot didn't have it in stock where it was wide enough. Then while at work (in an office of all places) there was this angled aluminum that was a width of 3" (I think?) and 1/4" thick. I don't know how, but somehow that 4' long piece made it into the bed of my truck. Beats me how it got there.

So I know it looks bulky, but since it's aluminum, it's superlight. And leaving as much material on there as I did keeps it stronger and less probable to fail. Once it's powdercoated wet black, you won't even notice its size. Plus, I can always paint a graphic on a nice flat surface if I want to.

Not much cutting, 4 drilled holes, a little bending with just my own strength and some sanding/shaping. Not a torch went to it and it didn't cost me a dime. As to why there's a half hole on the bottom of the front, that's all that's needed. The top bolt will hold the coil to the bracket just fine, the bottom bolt "half hole" is there to keep it centered. If the front of the bracket went down any further to make it a whole hole, there wouldn't be enough room for the wiring to enter the coil.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:19 AM
zaccydrums
Stage II
Default Dimensions

I think I was into this for about 3 bucks for the L bracket, 6 for the aluminum stock and about 3 for the fasteners. these are the parts I used, from Home Depot

I measured out the aluminum a little long, made my first bend, measured across the top and made my second bend, then cut off the excess. I took the L bracket and cut the excess off of one side to mount to the aluminum then held the coil up to see how short to make the other side of the L. I drilled holes for 1/4 inch fasteners and made sure everything fit together before I painted it.

Mount the coil to the L bracket first

Mount the L bracket loosely to the aluminum crossover bracket so that you can square everything up once it is mounted to the engine

So minus the short coil wire that I ordered from the dealer, which I think was 8 bucks, here is the finished product
Hey dude
I'm gynna have a go at making my own do you have the exact dimensions I need please

Thanks
Zac