Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emulsion tube

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:12 AM
CatalyticCarbon
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emulsion tube

i believe thats what the long piece thats part of the jet with the holes in it is called.. i rejetted stock 883 and the jet kit i got from a harley dealer gave me the pilot jets that all had the long tube on them.. however the 175 and 180 jets did not have them.. inside the main jet compartment is a long skinny needle that i was told to replace with the nokh needle provided.. no idea how to get that needle out and the main jets would not screw in without that tube on then.. is that tube able to be taken off the stock main jet and placed on a latger main jet size?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
CatalyticCarbon
Intermediate

also i only replaced the pilot jet and drilled out the cap for the fuel mix screw.. when i was done my idle seemed to be alot higher.. will adjusting the mixture screw give me the ability to slow the idle a bit?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,631 Likes on 1,125 Posts

You can lower the idle speed with the "idle speed screw" on the cable bellcrank. The mixture screw is for getting proper air/fuel mix at idle/just off idle.

Take off the top of the carburetor to get at the needle, be careful with the vacuum diaphragm. Some jet kits also drill out and enlarge the small hole in the slide too as well as replacing the spring for faster response.

You should be able to remove the stock main jet from the emulsion tube and replace with a larger mainjet.

I'm sure there are some more expert ideas than I can give you, I did mine many years ago.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 02-28-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM
CatalyticCarbon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John Harper
You can lower the idle speed with the "idle speed screw" on the cable bellcrank. The mixture screw is for getting proper air/fuel mix at idle/just off idle.

Take off the top of the carburetor to get at the needle, be careful with the vacuum diaphragm. Some jet kits also drill out and enlarge the small hole in the slide too as well as replacing the spring for faster response.

You should be able to remove the stock main jet from the emulsion tube and replace with a larger mainjet.

I'm sure there are some more expert ideas than I can give you, I did mine many years ago.

John

ok so the fuel mix screw has nothing to do with the idle... do you know where the idle speed screw is located? on the carb somewhere?

Old 02-28-2012, 02:45 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,631 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Yes, it should stop your idle cable as it returns carb to idle, look where the two cables connect to the carburetor. the thing that turns the carb butterfly is called the bellcrank. There should be a stop screw, that's your idle speed screw. Just like on any old carburetor.

Your idle mix will slightly affect idle speed. Ideally, you should set it to run as fast as it will before dropping again. Then adjust final idle speed with the idle speed screw. I think 2.5-3 turns out of the mixture screw (after gently bottoming it out) is a good start point as I recall.

John

Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM
CatalyticCarbon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John Harper
Yes, it should stop your idle cable as it returns carb to idle, look where the two cables connect to the carburetor. the thing that turns the carb butterfly is called the bellcrank. There should be a stop screw, that's your idle speed screw. Just like on any old carburetor.

Your idle mix will slightly affect idle speed. Ideally, you should set it to run as fast as it will before dropping again. Then adjust final idle speed with the idle speed screw. I think 2.5-3 turns out of the mixture screw (after gently bottoming it out) is a good start point as I recall.

John
gotcha.. thanks john