Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light and battery light. Seriously concerned.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Berts
Awesome. Thanks Guys. Going to the dealer this afternoon.

And just to anwser Big Lebowski's question, I didn't change a thing.

I'm more worried that I'm doing lasting damage by continuing to ride it however it's my only mode of transportation right now. What do you guys think?
I think the dealer is closed by now in CA, so how about an update?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Berts
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
I think the dealer is closed by now in CA, so how about an update?

Bad Voltage Regulator. They fixed it and I didn't even have to fill out a warranty claim. Very relieved and excited to be able to ride in this beautiful California weather (Seriously. It's been gorgeous out here for the past few days.)

P.S. I've heard many horror stories about Dealerships and their shady ways but I've just got to say that I've dealt with 3 separate Dealers so far and each has been nothing but amazing. Westminster, Irvine and Antelope Valley. All Great.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Mike M
Intermediate
Default dead 72..

I have the same issue my bike is now dead and I just waiting for a tow

Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Efriday
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same symptoms, DTC on my 2012 Road King with 3K miles

Originally Posted by Berts
OK. My bike is a 2012 Iron with 1300 miles on it. Yesterday I was caught in stop and go traffic. lots of feathering the clutch, low speeds, and stops. So my Check engine light and battery light popped on at the same time. I freaked out and pulled off the road, turned my Bike off and let it sit for a couple minutes. Turned it back on and it was fine. Today I had the same problem twice. Now every time I turn the Key, flip the starter to "On" the check engine light comes on (like it always does) then goes off, then comes back on again for about 15 seconds.

My Bike is less than 3 months old so I'm fairly worried that something is wrong.

Any help, suggestions or answers are much appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. Not sure if it's relevant but I recently had my 1,000 mile service at my Stealership.

EDIT: OK so I ran the DTC and it came up with two. P0562 and B1155 which are "Battery Voltage Low" and "Neutral Switch Input Short to Battery." As I am pretty damn mechanically stupid, I have no idea the seriousness of these. Should they be happening on a 2 month old Bike? nd since this has been going on for almost 2 days, is it damaging to the bike?

Thanks again!
I had the same symptoms and Diagnostic Trouble Code (P0562) on my 2012 Road King with 3000 miles on it. The dealer replaced the voltage regulator, and no problems for past 300 miles/one week.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Shortdawg72
Advanced
Default Same Issues Here

Same exact issue with my "72" at less than 500 miles. I was guessing the regulator also. Too bad its seven days before they can get me in there.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:37 PM
BaldHOG1222
Tourer
Talking

We'll see how you feel about those dealers once the warranty is up and you have to pay for the parts and service....

Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Electrical issues are a major problem on the Sporty. Normally it will be a burned up stator, and that will in turn cause the voltage regulator to go out. Stator should be fine on the OP bike due to the low miles. The voltage regulators can go out at anytime. I had one voltage regulator fail after less than a month.

When those two lights come on.....it's time to QUICKLY get home or to a place for repair. Waiting on a tow standing on the side of the road sucks!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 PM
almiami
Intermediate

Same problem with mine 2 days ago, was on my way to dealer for first 1k tune up when all light went on.
First thing he said when he saw my spedo relocation. " Wont fall under warranty because of modification"
And I replied " Yes under warranty because has nothing to do with spedo"

They found the same codes and put it under the warranty.

Obviously it's happening often and most likely will happen again...

Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 PM
jjwaller
Intermediate

Wow my old 2008 sporty did the same thing. I was on my way to dealer about 65 miles from home. Fried my battery also. Replaced both under warrenty. Obviously way to expensive to fix! Better to strand your customer than fix a continuous problem.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 AM
wdb90
4th Gear

Hi guys,
I bought a new 2012 Nightster in February... check engine light and battery light came on 10 miles from the dealership... then nothing. I thought it was a fluke - my being new to the bike. A 150 miles into the newness, I took the bike back complaining about this issue since the lights came on only when it was warm outside. They looked at my blond hair (yes, I am female) and told me, in essence, to keep the bike charged when I am not riding it.

I have to admit that bothered me although since I have wrenched on all of my cars (and dirt bikes) I am somewhat used to it....

A week later (350 miles), back I went ~ but this time I took photos (milage and lights on) then a video 5 mins. later (lights still on) and emailed it to the guy who sold me the bike. They replaced the voltage regualtor and appologized. The mechanic said that this time the codes came up.

So now at 750 miles, the lights came on again yesterday and stayed on for 3+ miles as I headed home.

It is Easter today, so tomorrow morning I will be joining the mechanic at the dealership. Perhaps I should bring my own multimeter. Or better yet, I should charge them for the time I have spent waiting at the dealership.

Thus, it looks as though this is something more than a voltage regualtor and stator issue. It is also occuring on more bikes that the ones the few of us that are willing to write about.

I am very close to demanding my money back. I even have a Land Rover Defender that is 18 years old that has had less electrical problems in it's lifetime than this bikie - and the D-90 is British!

Quick Reply: Check engine light and battery light. Seriously concerned.