Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil bag conversion?? Does anyone know how

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:53 PM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I plan on doing is making a new oversized battery box with a perforated plate at the back to attach my circuit breakers/relays/ignition box to. That will free up the "under the seat rat's nest" in my bike's case, and make room for the oil tank. But yeah, there's not a lot of room under there

Old 03-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Sticky4
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2012 48. I'm hoping someone like Mreed will chime in.

The old style oil bag will help with the old school look I'm going for...

Old 03-23-2012, 01:31 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're asking my opinion, I don't like that mod on 04 & up bikes. I think your eyes are drawn more to the oil tank itself rather than the bike as a whole. You blow the old school look away once you expose that area of the frame. Old school frames are tube and cast couplings. The newer frames (in that area) are die formed plate...stamped out all day long. It is formed to look like tube but once it's all exposed, the chincy-ness of it is very visible.

Now, if you don't care about my opinion and would like to do that anyway, I agree with the other posts in regards to the wiring mess. Here's just a part of what you'll have to deal with

About my opinion, please take it just as that...an opinion. If you are dead set on doing this oil tank mod please take EXTRA time to make it look good. That first bike has style points with the Zero Eng springer and Cole Foster tank but it loses me after that. Look on the net for better pics of that bike. The pics you posted are definitely picked through. There's a video of it somewhere and the ugliness is there.

I might be doing a version of this mod on my 08 XLN but it won't be round. It'll be a horse shoe tank and there will be no oil in it. It will hide my battery right in the center and the rest will be for wiring.

For what it's worth, I think your bike is really cool the way it is. Remove the reflectors, make some tiny turn signals, do a chain conversion, lower the rear of that seat a tad and that bike will be a bad ***. Stock oil tank & all.

Last edited by mreed; 03-23-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:06 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonDeal
my bad, they are both injected...
No, you were right. That first bike is carbed.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:37 AM
Sticky4
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
If you're asking my opinion, I don't like that mod on 04 & up bikes. I think your eyes are drawn more to the oil tank itself rather than the bike as a whole. You blow the old school look away once you expose that area of the frame. Old school frames are tube and cast couplings. The newer frames (in that area) are die formed plate...stamped out all day long. It is formed to look like tube but once it's all exposed, the chincy-ness of it is very visible.

Now, if you don't care about my opinion and would like to do that anyway, I agree with the other posts in regards to the wiring mess. Here's just a part of what you'll have to deal with

About my opinion, please take it just as that...an opinion. If you are dead set on doing this oil tank mod please take EXTRA time to make it look good. That first bike has style points with the Zero Eng springer and Cole Foster tank but it loses me after that. Look on the net for better pics of that bike. The pics you posted are definitely picked through. There's a video of it somewhere and the ugliness is there.

I might be doing a version of this mod on my 08 XLN but it won't be round. It'll be a horse shoe tank and there will be no oil in it. It will hide my battery right in the center and the rest will be for wiring.

For what it's worth, I think your bike is really cool the way it is. Remove the reflectors, make some tiny turn signals, do a chain conversion, lower the rear of that seat a tad and that bike will be a bad ***. Stock oil tank & all.
That's for the advise. This will be my next winter project with fat tire and fender struts. One it is all apart I guess I will look at it and decide. But judging from your work I will definitely take your advise into consideration.