Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Locks

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 PM
USMCDevilDogg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea with the gun lock cables, I've had two of my ICON helmets stolen off my bike when left them on the mirrors while at bike shows or just parked in the street. I now take the helmet with me everywhere I go, I just don't trust people anymore.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 AM
qweeksdraw
Novice
Default brain bucket lock

people listen- We are lucky to have such choices= If you lived in Russia you would have one chioce- It would be black and weigh 15 lbs. lol.

I say the biggest loggin chain with biggest master lock- run it through both tires, frame sissy bar, both sleeves of leather, through eye bolt on helmet, through collar of pit bull, then lock to closest cop car. Or Mother in law

ride safe and pray you never need helmet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Blitzkrick
Stage II

I bought one of the locks from HD, and it doesn't fit frame tubing on my Roadster. I think my frame uses 1/2" and the locks are made for 1/4" tubing, which is only on my handlebars...which there is no room for the lock on. I currently just use a standard keyed padlock (seeing as how I can easily break into a combination lock in under 30 seconds, so can others).

Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blitzkrick
I bought one of the locks from HD, and it doesn't fit frame tubing on my Roadster. I think my frame uses 1/2" and the locks are made for 1/4" tubing, which is only on my handlebars...which there is no room for the lock on. I currently just use a standard keyed padlock (seeing as how I can easily break into a combination lock in under 30 seconds, so can others).
I have the same problem....HD lock and no where to install it. I added a highway bar and it will fit there but I threaded the screws into the bracket for some reason before installed it and now I can't get them out. They are some crazy one way security screw

Old 04-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Twiste
Cruiser

Think I picked this up on ebay,( have it on my highway bars) works fine though I don't usually leave my helmet on my bike. I use it when going to a movie with my son. Works fine but like all locks it just keeps honest people honest. Mt helmet is a piecea crap skull cap thats not dot or anything else, I'd prefer none at all personally. I love Florida for just that reason no helmets so I head over there when on a road trip. Hell if ya really want to be safe while riding I'm sure Neon yellow and green clothing well reflective tape would be very effective but ya won;t catch me wearing it LOL.

Attached Thumbnails Helmet Locks-img_0736.jpg  

Last edited by Twiste; 04-03-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by CanuckSporty
I have the same problem....HD lock and no where to install it. I added a highway bar and it will fit there but I threaded the screws into the bracket for some reason before installed it and now I can't get them out. They are some crazy one way security screw
I had the HD lock on the left side of my crash bars. When I added highway pegs, I took the 1 way screws out with a screw extractor. I replaced them with Phillips stainless steel screws. They came out easy.
I remounted it on the right side, which I like much better as it sits high and doesn't let the helmet hit the ground.

My HJC helmets are inexpensive and Snell approved. The paint and fabric isn't as nice s my wife's Shoei helmet, but it should work in a crash.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I had the HD lock on the left side of my crash bars. When I added highway pegs, I took the 1 way screws out with a screw extractor.
I was hoping someone would offer a solution By screw extractor do you mean something that drills it out? I already tried backing it out with pliers and it still won't reverse.

ETA: Thanks I found a set, definitely need to add that to my tool collection.

Last edited by CanuckSporty; 04-03-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by CanuckSporty
I was hoping someone would offer a solution By screw extractor do you mean something that drills it out? I already tried backing it out with pliers and it still won't reverse.

ETA: Thanks I found a set, definitely need to add that to my tool collection.
When you drill into the screw make sure you are square, so you don't go out the side of the screw into the threads. Good luck.