Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportsters on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Jeff10236
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsters on the highway

OK, if you've looked at the few posts I've made here you can see I really like the Sporty. Instead of upgrading my bike (a Suzuki Boulevard C50) to a bigger bike as I had planned, I started seriously considering modding it to be better on the highway and getting a Sportster for everything else (while looking at Dynas and Softails I fell in love with the Sportsters). Well, after taking another look at my finances, I've come to the realization that with some smart planning and budgeting I can be debt free (other than a future mortgage and my student loans) in around 2 years, and free of my student loans in 2-4 years after that (I have a lot of student loans).

So, two bikes now seems like an extravagance I should probably avoid and I'm back to one bike that can do it all. Keeping my bike (it is a 2009) is probably the smartest move, and if I want one bike that is well suited to it all (I want to do a lot more traveling on the motorcycle) a Dyna or 1300cc Japanese cruiser makes some sense. However, I really like those Sportsters and I'm thinking about doing what I should have done to start with when I bought my bike and get a Sportster.

For about 80% of my riding an 883 Sportster would do fine. I live in a small city within two major metro areas (DC and Baltimore). I ride every chance I get so I take a lot of small trips during the week and often ride to work. Most of my riding is city and suburban streets, some country roads, and 20-30min highway rides.

However, I do like to take weekend trips, and I'd like to do some full vacations on the back of the motorcycle. If the Sportster can be made to be at least as comfortable as my current bike, I'll consider the switch (I think I'd be much happier with a Sportster, especially for that 80% of my riding for which it is well suited).

I don't yet have a Mustang seat for my bike and the stock Suzuki seat feels like it was probably designed for the Spanish Inquisition after about 100 miles on the slab. While my bike probably has a better suspension, and the Sporty has a reputation for vibration, I'm not really bothered by the vibrations. Good gel gloves keep my hands from numbing, and I can always get aftermarket grips if needed. My big issue is with seat comfort, and I'd suspect that a Sporty with a Mustang seat will be more comfortable for me on the highway than my C50 with the stock seat (and for my issue, seat comfort, either bike with the Mustang will probably be good enough).

From what I can gather, if I get the 1200 with a Mustang seat, it might be a better highway bike than my C50. The 1200 has similar hp numbers from what I can tell (53 for my C50, around 60 for the 1200) but weighs less (by 30-60LBS depending upon which 1200). So, around town the 1200 will be far superior to my bike, and on the highway, the extra torque and better gearing may make it better.

The biggest potential issue that I see that might make the Sportster less suited to the highway (for me) v. my C50 is weight. Around town the Sporty being lighter is an advantage, but on the highway it might get blown around a lot more. About the only way to know for sure is to get a long test ride, or to rent one. I'm thinking a couple weeks for a test ride, and if I still haven't made up my mind, I may rent one later this month or early in May.

So, anyone here have a Sporty that they travel with? I know the 412 suspension and progressive front is common. I'll definitely want a Mustang seat. For what I want to do, is this a smart move, or would I be better served to hold on to my Suzuki until I can afford 2 bikes? For what I want to do, should I just go with the Dyna or Yamaha Star 1300 since neither the Sporty nor my C50 are ideal?

Last edited by Jeff10236; 04-09-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Swampdoc
Advanced

I've got an 883 with a Mustang seat. While I haven't gone cross country on it, I have done several 400 mile days on it without any problems and I don't get blown around too much on the interstate. I'm sure a bigger bike would be great for long distances, but I really haven't ever felt that my bike was underpowered or uncomfortable (except when I still had the factory seat). That said, a lot of folks on this forum think the 883 is sluggish and underpowered. You should test ride the bikes or maybe rent one so that you can get some distance on it, and go with whichever one floats your boat. In the long run, it's cheaper to get what you will be happy with than to get something you will be selling in 6 months because it isn't right for you.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

The Sporty can be made into a great 1-up touring bike for fairly little $.

Mustang seat or mod a seat with memory foam.

SG air shocks

Forwards and/or highway pegs

Comfortably positioned handlebars

I have done many multi-day rides and it is almost as comfortable as a bagger, AND a LOT more fun.

On a rubber mount sporty hands should not be going numb even after 10 hours....loosen your grip a little.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-09-2012, 01:33 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

If you can be debt free in 2 years, then keep that goal in mind. Go with a 1200 Sportster now and you can always trade it in and upgrade to a larger HD bike later if you want. Your private re-sale value should also be very good. I've added the Mustang solo seat to two of my Sporties and loved it. But when I travel I use the Mustang Fastback for my weekend trips (not that far) as it's a little more comfortable. I also added Progressive front springs and rear Progressive 412 shocks for a much softer ride.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a friend who has toured with his 06 Sportster for over 60k miles. His only mod is a mustang seat and longer shocks. My wife just bought a 1200 Custom that we are converting to a SportyTour. She used to ride a street glide. We tour a lot but she wanted a smaller quicker handling bike.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:46 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
I have a friend who has toured with his 06 Sportster for over 60k miles. His only mod is a mustang seat and longer shocks. My wife just bought a 1200 Custom that we are converting to a SportyTour. She used to ride a street glide. We tour a lot but she wanted a smaller quicker handling bike.
I sold my Fat Bob for the same reason, and enjoy the responsiveness and weight of the Sportster. I just think a lot of folks are missing out on some great bikes in the Sportster family due to their own bias.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:51 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I have both a 883 and a 1200. Both are great riding bikes and I do not get pushed about by wind with either to any great degree. The 883 is more than capable and worthy of consideration. One thing you will want to address either route you take are the stock rear shocks...they simply blow. I now have air shocks on the 883 and upgraded shocks on the 1200...a vast improvement on both bikes. I would not hesitate jumping on either bike for a cross country jaunt, but would probably lean towards the 883 because of the 4.5 gallon tank.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:02 PM
got2bjennyg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff10236
From what I can gather...The 1200 has similar hp numbers from what I can tell (53 for my C50, around 60 for the 1200) but weighs less (by 30-60LBS depending upon which 1200). So, around town the 1200 will be far superior to my bike, and on the highway, the extra torque and better gearing may make it better.
Your Suzuki C50 is a v-twin at about 805cc, and stock it has about 45 hp at the rear wheel and about 45 ft lbs of torque. The 1200 sportster will have more displacement and power, and you will notice the difference. Bone stock, the 1200 will be about 60-ish peak hp and 60-63-ish ft lbs of torque.

Last edited by got2bjennyg; 04-09-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Jeff10236
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Swampdoc
... You should test ride the bikes or maybe rent one so that you can get some distance on it, and go with whichever one floats your boat...
I plan to test ride in a couple weeks. If the ride isn't long enough to tell, or for some other reason I'm still undecided, I'll rent one later this month or early May. If I rent one, I'll probably do it on a weekend and make it a trip to Ocean City (about 2 hours from my apartment).

Originally Posted by Swampdoc
In the long run, it's cheaper to get what you will be happy with than to get something you will be selling in 6 months because it isn't right for you.
You can say that again. I bought my bike as my first bike on the theory that a middle-weight cruiser in the 750-950cc range, dressed for touring, would be something I wouldn't outgrow and I could keep it forever. I should have done the more recommended beginner thing and bought a small used bike that I could sell after 6 months when I figured out what I really wanted. Now, I want either a small, nimble (for a cruiser), stripped cruiser like the Iron or Nightster, or a full on touring bike. I didn't sell after only 6 months (it will be 2 years if I replace it this month), but only because I couldn't afford to replace it sooner since I went new.

Originally Posted by DK Custom
The Sporty can be made into a great 1-up touring bike for fairly little $.

Mustang seat or mod a seat with memory foam.

SG air shocks

Forwards and/or highway pegs

Comfortably positioned handlebars
I forgot to mention, I would be 1-up. I have not yet had a girlfriend who was willing to ride on my bike (not totally true, there was one who was willing, but I never took her). Anyway, I hope that changes, but I really hope to find someone who wants to ride her own (not on the back of mine for any distance).

I definitely plan on the Mustang seat and improved rear shocks.

I do have a question about the pegs. One thing I like about both the Sportster and the Dynas is that they are available with a standard seating position. I like that I'd more easily be able to put some weight on my legs and flex them a bit without stopping and getting off the bike. However, aside from long trips, I prefer forward controls. Is it possible to get forward controls and then instead of highway pegs, get "dummy" pegs in the standard controls position (just the pegs, no controls)? Or, if I want both position to be available, would I need standard controls with highway pegs?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Jeff10236
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DK Custom

I have done many multi-day rides and it is almost as comfortable as a bagger, AND a LOT more fun.
Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
We tour a lot but she wanted a smaller quicker handling bike
Originally Posted by WDHGS
I sold my Fat Bob for the same reason, and enjoy the responsiveness and weight of the Sportster
That is what I'm aiming for, responsive and good handling (for a cruiser), fun, etc. It kind of looks like it is the Sportster or Shadow RS for that, and I don't want a Honda (I ride a Suzuki, I am considering a Yamaha, I obviously have no bias against Japanese bikes, but I really don't like the Hondas much).

Quick Reply: Sportsters on the highway