Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rain

Just wondering if I should be worried about this. Second time I've noticed this in the rain. The first time I was in a downpour and this time the bike sat overnight in the rain then about 8-10 miles into my ride I've noticed it.

Anyway, what happens is I go to accelerate and the bike sort of "hiccups" so to speak like it starts to take off and then there's just a dead spot. Happened at about 50mph today. I took the rain sock off my breather and it did feel wet.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
the bike sat overnight in the rain

Is this a usual occurrence? While I cannot offer insight on your power burp with any kind of authority, I CAN say to invest in a cover and help prolong the rust/corrosion on the bike.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably getting some water in the intake. As long as its not a constant large amount you should be ok. I would refrain from opening it up full throttle in heavy rain. Less chance of sucking more water in. But the water isn't going to hurt anything in small amounts. Old timers use to spray water into there intake to clean the carbon out.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

water doesn't compress. you don't want it in your engine.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:43 PM
deuce40s
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an open air filter and have never put mine in a garage. Rain won't hurt anything. I would advise against the full bike cover unless you remove it immediately after it rains so moisture is not trapped underneath.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakko47

Is this a usual occurrence? While I cannot offer insight on your power burp with any kind of authority, I CAN say to invest in a cover and help prolong the rust/corrosion on the bike.
Depends on the night to be honest. Most nights it's in the garage but if I stay over the girlfriends it sits outside.

Originally Posted by Captain Smooth
Probably getting some water in the intake. As long as its not a constant large amount you should be ok. I would refrain from opening it up full throttle in heavy rain. Less chance of sucking more water in. But the water isn't going to hurt anything in small amounts. Old timers use to spray water into there intake to clean the carbon out.
It can't be much I pulled the air filter off the heavy breather and didn't see anything in there. Guess I'll just have to take it easier on the throttle in the rain. I thought getting any amount of water into a motor was a death sentence???

Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM
deuce40s
Advanced

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
I thought getting any amount of water into a motor was a death sentence???
Small amounts won't hurt anything. You don't want to pour water in the motor obviously, but small drops just vaporize.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

Actually, you CAN pour water into an engine, but of course it must be the proper amount. Very common practice is to pour a light trickle of water in a running engine so that it steams and therefore cleans valves/heads. Pour too much, and the hydrolock monster comes to visit.

Deuce, you go ahead and leave your bike outside in the rain for a year and I'll leave mine in the garage and we will see how they both look.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 PM
deuce40s
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wakko47
Actually, you CAN pour water into an engine, but of course it must be the proper amount. Very common practice is to pour a light trickle of water in a running engine so that it steams and therefore cleans valves/heads. Pour too much, and the hydrolock monster comes to visit.

Deuce, you go ahead and leave your bike outside in the rain for a year and I'll leave mine in the garage and we will see how they both look.
You CAN pour a "light trickle". I get your semantics.

Mine has been outside for 20+ years and looks better than the day I got it. I'm not sure if you're just trolling or you think it actually matters how our bikes look to him.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

Trolling? For suggesting the OP cover the bike if it's kept outside every day? Turns out he doesn't, so it's a moot point.

Quick Reply: Rain