Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you troubleshoot my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:47 PM
jauslong
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you troubleshoot my bike?

1997 883.

Over the winter I had a few projects for my bike. I'll qualify by saying that I'm a beginner and I've had this bike for about six months.

When I got the bike, it had a leak from the primary cover that amounted to a few drops after each ride. At some point, that leak became much more significant so I replaced the primary cover gasket, obviously changed the transmission oil.

I changed the engine oil.

I replaced the spark plugs (they looked like they had a film of carbon on them, which I'm told means my fuel mixture may be rich. These were the plugs that came with the bike when I bought, so I have no idea how long they were used.

I got the parts and assembled this: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...s-of-pics.html

Rode about 10 miles with the new air filter and heard a very loud pop kind of sound on occasion. I assume that means my fuel mixture is lean.

I also noticed while changing the filter that there is a paper gasket that goes between the carb and the bracket (or backplate). There is a rip in that gasket.

Seeing as how I have nearly zero spare time lately and was anxious to get back to riding, when I finished replacing the primary gasket, I put the stock air cleaner back on, admitting to myself that I'm not ready to tune the carb and don't want to risk missing out on a beautiful spring of riding with a disassembled or broken bike.

Except, the bike feels different to me now. First, I could swear that I have less low-end torque than I did before. I live next to a steep hill and so I can tell pretty quickly that I'm not able to climb it as quickly as I could before.

Also, it seemed like I needed to run the choke a lot longer than I did before in order to keep the bike from stalling.

Then, of course, there is the issue of the clutch. It feels way different since I disengaged the clutch while changing the primary gasket. I am concerned that maybe there is some slipping that is happening, but I'm not sure whether this is something that is easily noticed or could be more subtle (and maybe explain decrease in torque?)

Finally, here are my questions:

1) How does this carb gasket being ripped affect the performance of the bike? I am pretty sure it was not ripped until I took the backplate off.

2) Could this ripped gasket being causing my loss of low-end torque and ability to accelerate?

3) Anything else that you might recommend to resolve this issue?

4) Could I have done something wrong with the spark plugs that would affect performance negatively? I was hoping that new spark plugs would improve performance.

5) How would I know if clutch was slipping?

6) If I put the new hi-flow air cleaner back on, will adjusting the idle mixture be sufficient or will I have to buy more parts to get a good fuel mixture? Does the fuel given to the carb through idle continue while the bike is actually driving? In other words, does an increase in the idle mixture affect the mixture in all ranges of throttle or only in idle?

Thanks in advance to anybody with the patience and knowledge to guide me.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:17 PM
BC45
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the gasket that is ripped is between the carb and air cleaner than it would not cause a performance problem.
If you replaced the stock air cleaner assembly with the unit pictured in the link provided that may cause a performance problem if it is less restricted then the factory cleaner, You may need to have the carb rejetted if it is less restricted.
To check if clutch is slipping ride easy to moderate through 1st and 2nd gear when you shift to 3rd hammer it hard say 3/4 trottle if motor revs high but bike wont accelrate clutch is slipping,If bike takes off hard clutch is not slipping.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:26 AM
jauslong
Advanced

The stock air cleaner is back on the bike, so the air should be restricted again. Although, I wonder if the rip in the gasket is letting too much air in.

Could the spark plugs be affecting the low-end somehow?

I don't think the engine revs high without accelerating. This is more of a first gear second gear issue slow acceleration problem.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Questions:
Do you have a Service Manual?
Did you follow the procedure in the SM for the clutch adjustment, including the screw inside the Derby cover?
Did you follow the procedure in the SM for the primary chain adjustment?

Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A rip in the filter to carb gasket is very unlikely to bleed enough air to cause a mix ratio issue. Since you returned to the stock a/c, I'd rule that out as the cause of your performance issue.

My bet is on the clutch not being properly adjusted.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 AM
jauslong
Advanced

Originally Posted by cHarley
Questions:
Do you have a Service Manual?
Did you follow the procedure in the SM for the clutch adjustment, including the screw inside the Derby cover?
Did you follow the procedure in the SM for the primary chain adjustment?
I do not have a service manual.

Do you think its the primary chain tension?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:36 AM
jauslong
Advanced

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
A rip in the filter to carb gasket is very unlikely to bleed enough air to cause a mix ratio issue. Since you returned to the stock a/c, I'd rule that out as the cause of your performance issue.

My bet is on the clutch not being properly adjusted.
Ok. That doesn't sound very good. What would be happening that the clutch adjustment would affect the torque? Are we back to slippage? Possibly the clutch being too tight and therefore never fully disengaged?

Sounds like a great way to cause damage.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by jauslong
I do not have a service manual.

Do you think its the primary chain tension?
Then what procedure did you follow to correctly adjust the clutch?

I don't necessarily believe that the primary chain tension is your problem, but it needs readjustment if you pulled the primary cover off.
Your clutch is likely not adjusted properly.

Without a Service Manual, you're not equipped to work on the bike and expect the results to be successful.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:33 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep. Need a service manual.
Plugs are not likely to be the problem.
The idle speed adjustment only affects where the trottle cable stops at idle. If you adjust the air/fuel mixture, that will effect the lean/rich throughout the full range of the throttle.

Does the bike easily go into neutral while at idle?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 AM
jauslong
Advanced

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Does the bike easily go into neutral while at idle?
Yeah, I didn't really have a problem there. It just feels like a slightly slower bike than it did before. I was expecting the opposite, with new oil, and new plugs.

Will definitely get the service manual. I have a Clymer manual that is helpful, but I've been told enough times to get the service manual that I might finally have to listen.

Quick Reply: Can you troubleshoot my bike?