Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some pictures of my 883 slaying the dragon. 1600 mile trip, no trailers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:43 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Some pictures of my 883 slaying the dragon. 1600 mile trip, no trailers.

I went with two friends, one on my Yamaha 600 and another on his Ducati 848 Streetfighter. Both of my friends have been riding since they were very young and they are fast. I started much later but I have a lot of track experience so we ended up running a very similar pace, even though the 883 doesn't stand a chance against the 600 or the 848 in a real fight.

I'll post more pics and video later. We had a guy join us and crash while riding over his head and we got that on video, it was crazy. Totalled his Honda CBR600 but he was miraculously unharmed (lowsided into a ditch/wall at 60mph, helmet saved his life).

We met so many amazing people and had the time of our lives. This was my fourth trip down to Deal's Gap but the first one where I rode the entire distance with no follow car, no trailer, and no backup if the bikes had problems.

Here is the album of pics (courtesy of the 129Slayer team and the Killboy team), I thought you might enjoy these. I'll post more later when I get them from my buddy's camera. Lots of gopro footage, hooligan wheelies on the ducati, and overall shenanigans on the mountain.

I have a bunch of mods and my bike was *flawless* for the entire trip, except for getting pretty hot and throwing a code while we were stuck in a 15 mile dead stop highway pileup that ended up stranding us in Richmond, KY for the night on the way back. I just rode the shoulder until we hit an exit and then we tried to find country roads around the river (not happening) but as soon as the bike got moving, the code light (the little red key on the speedo) went away. I bet it was a lean misfire due to the slight overheating, but the oil temps were still never above 235F, so I think the bike was just being picky).

I kept pace with the 600 and the Ducati in the corners but as expected, they walked away from me in the straights. Everyone we rode with was very surprised and the pace I ran on that harley, we passed a bunch of much faster bikes simply due to skill and experience.

TRACKDAYS PAY DIVIDENDS ON THE STREET!

Modlist

Cycle Shack 2.5" slipons
DK 587 Intake/Outlaw breather system
Nightrider XIEDS
Racetech front suspension
Progressive 412 rear suspension
Magnum SS braided front brake line
DK Ignition and coil relocation kit
Wire tuck with no tank lift
HD Mini Fairing
Rear fender rack

Album of pictures

http://imgur.com/a/i9QXT#0

Last edited by parabellum_9x19; 10-19-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Mercyfulfate
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds great! I need to get out more.lol your fairing looks awesome on your bike! and great pics too!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:20 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks a lot, I think I have the bike looking pretty much exactly how I want it.

It was SO ****ING DIRTY after we got back. We got rained on, and then rained on again, and then we rode through the clouds and fog in the mountain passes, where we got frozen to the bone. Even in rain gear...70mph and you get wet, but the trucks were doing like 90mph down the mountain passes, so we were really forced to run a fast pace just for safety. Better to be passing those trucks than to have them rocketing up on your 6.

They were cutting concrete and blasting the mountain face when we rode by, this was near Jellico TN. They had a helicopter contruction crew on site to raise this giant metal net, and we rode right through that craziness. I had this unknown substance all over me and all over the bike. It dried white like salt and it scared me because of those "calcium chloride" stores on this forum, so even though I was exhausted, I washed the bike by hand last night in my garage. I did every single square inch of the bike from every angle to get that stuff off...I do not see any damage, to any surfaces...so I'm glad for that. It must have been concrete dust.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:24 AM
liljoejoe54
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you had a blast! I hope to get out on a couple long trips next year. and yeah, that white stuff all over your bike could of been concrete dust. I used to work with a company that cut concrete, and that stuff was always all over everything. Surprisingly its not that hard to wash off.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:35 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

How come that Vespa is on you tail?

Old 10-19-2013, 11:38 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

LOL it just looks that way. I had just passed him about two corners before. Passes are tricky on that section of the dragon.

EDIT: Yes, that stuff was not too bad to wash off. I used a bunch of microfiber cloths and a bucket with hot water and Dawn dish soap. Then I went over all the fine surfaces with windex and a clean towel and now the bike has never looked better.

It bothered me though, I could not go to sleep with the bike like that, even though I was exhausted.

Last edited by parabellum_9x19; 10-19-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:58 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Just kiding Para. I was on the dragon a month ago. There are many semilar mtn roads all over GA, SC, NC, Tenn. Iv been on these roads most of my life. Right pretty this time of year. How ya like the little Tenn river? Gorgous huh. I use to live in Olney Ill.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:03 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by aces&8s
Just kiding Para. I was on the dragon a month ago. There are many semilar mtn roads all over GA, SC, NC, Tenn. Iv been on these roads most of my life. Right pretty this time of year. How ya like the little Tenn river? Gorgous huh. I use to live in Olney Ill.
That river is beautiful!

I think the most incredible road we did, in terms of visual beauty, was actually this hidden gem called Wayah Bald Road, between where 129 meets 74 and Franklin:

It was actually a crazy thrill because they were mowing...so that insanely twisty road with bad camber and a TON of elevation changes was covered in wet grass, leaves, and gravel. I think my rear tire got loose on about half of the curves we went around, to the point where I was just ready for it to walk out. It never felt unsafe either, it was just a really technical, challenging ride that would have bitten anyone that didn't give it their full attention.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:38 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Deffinately hard to beat that whole area of mtns in there. Many yrs ago I was riding thru an easy turn and the sand slid me into a mtn side. I went over the handlebars but my leathers saved me without a scratch. Bike had a bent front forks. I loosened the axel bolt and spread the forks apart and rode it home 100 mi.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:12 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by aces&8s
Deffinately hard to beat that whole area of mtns in there. Many yrs ago I was riding thru an easy turn and the sand slid me into a mtn side. I went over the handlebars but my leathers saved me without a scratch. Bike had a bent front forks. I loosened the axel bolt and spread the forks apart and rode it home 100 mi.
And that right there is why I carry tools anytime I'm far from home.

Good save.

Quick Reply: Some pictures of my 883 slaying the dragon. 1600 mile trip, no trailers.