Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron 883 on the HWY, need a windshield?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 PM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Iron 883 on the HWY, need a windshield?

I took my Iron 883 out on the 70 mph Highway for the first time last night and WOW it was a totally different experience.

This bike is AWESOME in town and on the back roads and slower highways, but it just wasn't fun going that fast for any amount of time on the Interstate.

I'm thinking it is due to the bike not weighing very much, and me taking full force of the wind.

This is my first motorcycle so I am eager to get advise to improve my highway experience.

I know it's not a touring bike so I'm not delusional about its capabilities, but I did have hopes of taking it on some one to two hour long trips.

Thanks.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 PM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That bike weights a lot more than a crotch rocket. You gotta man up son!!! Slap on that Lick's NovDOT helmet and smile real big and catch some bugs in your teeth! You'll get used to it! At first I was freaked riding on the freeway, just do a couple quick runs until you get comfortable and you'll start to stay on the freeway longer. Really, it's the safest place to be on a scoot!

Originally Posted by blindrocket
I took my Iron 883 out on the 70 mph Highway for the first time last night and WOW it was a totally different experience.

This bike is AWESOME in town and on the back roads and slower highways, but it just wasn't fun going that fast for any amount of time on the Interstate.

I'm thinking it is due to the bike not weighing very much, and me taking full force of the wind.

This is my first motorcycle so I am eager to get advise to improve my highway experience.

I know it's not a touring bike so I'm not delusional about its capabilities, but I did have hopes of taking it on some one to two hour long trips.

Thanks.

Last edited by simmy711; 04-27-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 PM
blindrocket
Road Master

Originally Posted by simmy711
That bike weights a lot more than a crotch rocket. You gotta man up son!!! Slap on that Lick's NovDOT helmet and smile real big and catch some teeth in your bugs! You'll get used to it! At first I was freaked riding on the freeway, just do a couple quick runs until you get comfortable and you'll start to stay on the freeway longer. Really, it's the safest place to be on a scoot!
Hah! Thanks for the encouragement.
That's another thing, my Lick's NovDOT helmet was slipping at those speeds. I decided next time to wear something under my helmet to take up any slack.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:26 PM
simmy711
Road Captain

I've got the same helmet and I love it. I've got a big dome and I got a Medium helmet. Fits pretty snug though, make sure you've got that chin strap snug you don't want it moving on ya! Cheers!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 PM
JHoytMaddox
Cruiser

Mine felt like it was gonna explode above 80. Never did though, I became accustomed. Maybe you will too....

Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 PM
JHoytMaddox
Cruiser

....but yeah, my Bell 500 was cinched TIGHT!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 PM
blindrocket
Road Master

My bike was okay, performance wise and everything. A bit harder to control, as expected.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Today I had the pleasure of riding home into a 20mph headwind going 75mph!
You will get use to it, when I started riding years back I had no shields on my bikes then I had a couple with...it will spoil you for sure. I have had my Iron for a while now and I don't even think about it anymore...Like Simmy said "man up!"
Oh and tighten your helmet strap!!!!!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My windscreen makes all the difference in the world at 60+ mph. I ride my 48 on the interstate daily with my National Cycle windscreen. Some may think it looks stupid, but it is functionally perfect.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:43 PM
RioC
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As said, it is definitely something to get accustomed to. I personally try to plan routes that avoid running major highways if possible... I would rather do 45-50 on a major, non-highway road and it take a little longer to get to my destination than do 70+ on a highway. But if not avoidable, tighten up that helmet and give it hell!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Iron 883 on the HWY, need a windshield?