Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Turn Signal Mounting Bolt Diameter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Turn Signal Mounting Bolt Diameter?

Does anybody know if the rear turn signal mounting bolt is 3/8 or 5/6"? I am asking because I want to buy small LED turn signals and the ones sold by Kuryakyn have a 3/8" diameter bolt, so do the ones from Harrison Specialties, and neither companies know if that would fit on a 2002 883C.

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:32 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Voony
Does anybody know if the rear turn signal mounting bolt is 3/8 or 5/6"? I am asking because I want to buy small LED turn signals and the ones sold by Kuryakyn have a 3/8" diameter bolt, so do the ones from Harrison Specialties, and neither companies know if that would fit on a 2002 883C.

Thanks!
It is 5/16" but it is not a bolt, it is a special double stud. The turn signal is mounted with the long end of the stud to the strut cover (the stud has threads on both ends with the "head" about 1 inch from one end). Once this is tight you then put the stut cover with the turn signal mounted on it , back on the frame with the short end of the strut going through the hole in the frame (very hard to do without scratching things). Then put the nut back on behind the fender. I don't know why Harley did it this way on the Sportsters, the Dynas and Softails just use a long bolt that comes in from the tire side of the fender and is MUCH easier to switch.

Keep ridin'
Garry

Old 04-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by LeatherPro
It is 5/16" but it is not a bolt, it is a special double stud. The turn signal is mounted with the long end of the stud to the strut cover (the stud has threads on both ends with the "head" about 1 inch from one end). Once this is tight you then put the stut cover with the turn signal mounted on it , back on the frame with the short end of the strut going through the hole in the frame (very hard to do without scratching things). Then put the nut back on behind the fender. I don't know why Harley did it this way on the Sportsters, the Dynas and Softails just use a long bolt that comes in from the tire side of the fender and is MUCH easier to switch.

Keep ridin'
Garry
Thank you for the detailed explanation of how this double stud works. Once would think that one could mount any turn signal that has a 5/16" bolt then...would one be correct?

And how could one mount a turn signal that has a 3/8" bolt? Is that possible?

Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Voony
Thank you for the detailed explanation of how this double stud works. Once would think that one could mount any turn signal that has a 5/16" bolt then...would one be correct?

And how could one mount a turn signal that has a 3/8" bolt? Is that possible?
The problem with using one long bolt is that there is a space (about 1/4") inbetween the strut cover and the frame in that area. So if you tighten it up tight, you will crush the strut cover inward. What you can do is stack some washers to the thickness of the "head" in the harley stud, put them on the bolt inbetween the frame and strut cover, and you are good to go. I know the holes in the strut cover and the frame are slightly larger than 5/16", but I can't remember if they are a full 3/8" or not. If you just drilled them out to 3/8", you could mount the signals you want. Make sure you treat the bare metal with something (even grease works) to keep it from rusting.

Garry

Old 04-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by LeatherPro
The problem with using one long bolt is that there is a space (about 1/4") inbetween the strut cover and the frame in that area. So if you tighten it up tight, you will crush the strut cover inward. What you can do is stack some washers to the thickness of the "head" in the harley stud, put them on the bolt inbetween the frame and strut cover, and you are good to go. I know the holes in the strut cover and the frame are slightly larger than 5/16", but I can't remember if they are a full 3/8" or not. If you just drilled them out to 3/8", you could mount the signals you want. Make sure you treat the bare metal with something (even grease works) to keep it from rusting.

Garry
That sounds like quite some work!

My other option is to just remove the turn signals and use the ones integrated into my taillight. I bought this taillight. The poblem I have is that I can't figure out how to install the resistors (that I can't use with the Kuryakyn module).

Old 04-29-2012, 05:24 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's up, Voony!!!?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
What's up, Voony!!!?
Well, that's very helpful to my situation lol