Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for riding in the mountains.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 PM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I see you're a sucker for redheads too. Nice scoot.
Thanks - aren't we all?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:09 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by EveHD
Thanks - aren't we all?

Heh heh heh :icon_silly:

Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

I'd follow turbinesaint's suggestion, try the route on the weekend. Heck, try it a couple of weekends. Hope it works out for you...

Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Dissent89
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what im gunna do later this week when I find some time between work to give it a test run.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

A lot of good tips but there is one that is worth while. Before you leave fill up with low octane. It will perform better at higher elevations because of the less oxygen.

Air at 5,000 feet has 25% less oxygen than at sea level which makes you compression that much less so it requires less octane level.

The higher the octane the harder to burn and even with the ECM adjustments it is not enough to overcome. Lower octane will help the engine run better.

I travel a lot and cross the Rockies several times a year on my bikes and cages. I learned years ago why they offer 85 octane in high elevations. Just did it twice in the last two weeks in a Prius. That little under powered heavy car with 95 octane stormed up the mountains and strong winds and still gave 50 mpg. My 10 Ultra does 50 mpg in the mountains with the 95 octane also.

Last edited by lh4x4; 05-02-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 PM
EveHD
Moderatress

Yeah, what he said

I just got "schooled" - I'm never too old...

Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Beetlejuice
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it easy and enjoy... a Sunday early is the best: no nippleheads to distract you.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:12 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Get a GPS with and zoom the screen so you can see how the road looks ahead of you, (around the curves)...how tight that turn ahead really is. I glance at it just as it do my mirrors and oil pressure. At least you will not be surprized and potentially freek out if the curve is too much or you are coming in to hot.
2. Do not panic if you think you are going to fast into the curves...counter steer and look around the curves...do not look at the edge of the road or the gaurd rails...cause you are going where you are looking. Set up a take some good lines around the curves...do not cross the center line...on coming traffic can surprize you in a curve and end your life.
3. Watch out for gravel, sand, rocks in the road or on the edge of the road where other cars have run off and spread it on to the pavement...this can cause you much trouble.
4. Use engine braking down the hills...do not ride your brakes, use your brakes sparingly...down shift and let the engine slow you.
5. Take it slow till you get the hang of it, do not let others (cars, trucks or other bikes) push you into making a mistake...do not let peer pressure cause you to wreck. Pull over and let them go ahead of you, if someone appears to be pushing you. Nothing wrong with living another day cause you pulled over and let folks go ahead of you. Leave the testosterone at home.

Now go and have fun on a day that has light traffic.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

K. Mountains. I love riding the twisties. The sound of your pipes in the valleys are a symphony.
Don't be afraid to rev the bike. Keep it in lower gear as you climb hills and use the engine to brake going down them. If you get to a corner you think you are hitting to hot brake hard in a straight line,then accelerate as you start the turn,and stay into the throttle coming out of it. Staying in the throttle keeps the steering more positive and the bike,for me,handles better.
I tend to use the rear brake more than the front in the twisties,it lends to more control in corners. I never brake hard,while into a turn,with the front. A front wheel skid is enough for your heart to skip a beat.
I think it's great that you want to give this a try. Remember that you can do this run again so don't push it. Ride within your ability. Going a bit slower isn't going to make it any less fun.
Let us know how it turns out. Keep your eyes peeled for any road hazards like mud or debris on the road. Sand or stones will seriously affect your ability to lean.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:13 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like a fun ride!! The 2 gallon tank could be a problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips for riding in the mountains.