Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XL 50 equals XL 1200 ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:54 AM
vt800c
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool XL 50 equals XL 1200 ???

I got my first harley, an XL-50 which I am trying to keep as stock as possible.

current plans are:
bolt-on sissy bar and pad (with rack)
saddle bags
windscreen
forward controls
Stage 1 kit (air filter only)

I want it to look as close to stock as possible, and be able to revert it back.

The thing is: what is the XL 50's closest fit 'regular' sportster? the 'R'? the 'C'?

thanks (and I'm not a Noob..been riding 30+ years!)

Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

The XL-50 is a 2007 XL1200-R.
The 50 just notes it's the 50th anniversary year. If you are trying to keep it stock for resale value because it's an "anniversary edition", I wouldn't bother. That "anniversary" model won't have any higher resale value than any other comparable model of the same year.

Last edited by cHarley; 08-15-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:40 AM
badbs101
Road Master

Besides the badges, the '07 XL 50 is almost identical to the '07 XL 1200 R; tachometer, 3.3 peanut tank, same seat, mid controls, 13" rear shocks, same handlebars...

As far as keeping it stock for resale its value falls between a 1200 R and a 1200 C; NADA list it as a few hundred more than a 1200 R but a few hundred less than a 1200 C.

Barry

Last edited by badbs101; 08-15-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just make it yours and ride it. There is no anniversary model that means anything to me, it's just a way to give the salesmen a little leverage in negotiation which seems to work with people buying their first bike and giving them a false sence that it is a 'Special Edition" at a special (inflated) price.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:06 AM
vt800c
6th Gear
Thumbs up thanks for the info...

at least now when I go to order parts/manuals/bling/whatever I know what is the best fit.

Keeping it pretty much stock IS how I 'make it mine' One of the things that caught my eye, besides the touch of gold on the medallions (oOooh..shiny metal object...) I like the paint on the fenders...the grey pinstrips just look nice!

I look forward to quite a few more conversations on here...and many miles on the road.

Thanks again

Old 12-16-2010, 04:39 PM
AnjB
Stage II
Default HD XL 50 Limited Production

As in cars, limited production on most things, they are worth more than those similar that are mass produced, so you are incorrect SIR to say the values of the '07 XL 50's Anniv. of which ONLY 2000 units were ever made, would be nothing really. Also, note there is also a unit number stamped on a nice HD plate located on top of the the tree/handlebars. Limited production, I say it again.

BESIDES common sense and logic tells you one day, these limited units would have higher values than their counterparts being not limited. Maybe not right now today, but one day, it will for sure. How much more value, no one knows it now but surely, more than you seem to think.

Don't be confused or pissed off by those taken in by the "hype" of the '03 anniversaries of which were touted as "special" but only in being anniversary years which did NOT limit any production, so thus, there were and are so very many thousands of various HD anniv. models existing today. This is NOT the case for the '07 XL50's of which are certifiably LIMITED production.

The 2000 limited units sold fast and nationally it became hard to find one to order, not long after its initial introduction. They were all bought up.

I'd buy one and keep it for future rarity. Only 2000 units were ever produced.

Do not use reference of the ignorant post someone put up saying quite the contrary.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:08 PM
hig4s
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AnjB
As in cars, limited production on most things, they are worth more than those similar that are mass produced, so you are incorrect SIR to say the values of the '07 XL 50's Anniv. of which ONLY 2000 units were ever made, would be nothing really. Also, note there is also a unit number stamped on a nice HD plate located on top of the the tree/handlebars. Limited production, I say it again.

BESIDES common sense and logic tells you one day, these limited units would have higher values than their counterparts being not limited. Maybe not right now today, but one day, it will for sure. How much more value, no one knows it now but surely, more than you seem to think.

Don't be confused or pissed off by those taken in by the "hype" of the '03 anniversaries of which were touted as "special" but only in being anniversary years which did NOT limit any production, so thus, there were and are so very many thousands of various HD anniv. models existing today. This is NOT the case for the '07 XL50's of which are certifiably LIMITED production.

The 2000 limited units sold fast and nationally it became hard to find one to order, not long after its initial introduction. They were all bought up.

Do not use reference of the ignorant post someone put up saying quite the contrary.

Calling people ignorant in your first post is not a good way to make friends.

And historically your view is not supported as the 25th anniversary edition Sportster is not significantly different in price than any other 1982 Sportster.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:16 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AnjB

Ignorant? You don't have a clue......the focking anniversary addition Sportsters won't even get as much resale value as the 1200S or the XR's. Its just a Sportster in a flooded Sportster world.

So don't make an new account just to make an *** out of yourself. Use your primary account.......

Old 12-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If they can sell an "Anniversary Edition" for more money then why don't they have one for 51st 52nd... I guess it would be like celebrating your birthday once every 25 yrs. Does an anniversary edition really mean that much to the average consumer? Well, it doesn't mean anything to me anyway.

Last edited by Gpsjr10; 12-16-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 PM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

Just keep everything you take off...don't chop the frame and you can put it back together anytime you wish...only the original title holder of a bicentennial sporty can get badges for it...think about that...but then on the other hand no other anny. sporty sells for anything higher than every other one the same year

Quick Reply: XL 50 equals XL 1200 ???