Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spoke adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 AM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default spoke adjustment

Quick question...

I'm not affraid to pull out the manual for any car I've owned or this bike and fix or maintain any part within my ability. I've turned wrenches on my own stuff since I was 6 and my dad asked me for a ratchet when he was under the car.. That said, I'm running down the checklist for the 5000 service and came across one that that I think is outside of my realm. Checking/adjusting the laced wheels.

Has anyone here taken their bikes in just for this service and if so what is a good going rate. Did I screw myself for not just opting for the full service rather than doing it on my own?

I have never touched a spoke before and would not know if one was too tight or too loose or if I was about to f up my wheels if I gave it a go. So for this, I am looking to farm out the work.

Any replies will be helpful. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The check is very easy and simply involves tapping each spoke, say with a srewdriver. They should all sound similar. Dull or high-ringing ones need adjustment, any broken ones will be very obvious!

Adjusting any that need it really should be done with the tyre off, so the ends of the spokes can be filed flat, if they project through the nipple. You could certainly take your bike, or wheel(s) to a dealer or indy to have them put right, if they need it.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:21 PM
madchemist24
Road Master

Originally Posted by grbrown
The check is very easy and simply involves tapping each spoke, say with a srewdriver. They should all sound similar. Dull or high-ringing ones need adjustment, any broken ones will be very obvious!

Adjusting any that need it really should be done with the tyre off, so the ends of the spokes can be filed flat, if they project through the nipple. You could certainly take your bike, or wheel(s) to a dealer or indy to have them put right, if they need it.
Thanks for the response.

I picked up on that from other threads...was looking to see if anyone has done this (take it in just for the spoke adjust) and what a good price was....so when I reach out to the dealer or indy I have a refernce point.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 PM
madchemist24
Road Master

Oh also, I did tap them and yes, I have different sounds ... but which ones are right and which ones are wrong....i would just be guessing.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 PM
jerryw618
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello there yes i have done it and check my wheels 2 times a year , first get a 3mm spoke wrench then all you need to do is like everyone says tap a spoke it should ring have a nice tone to it when you hit a loose spoke it will sound like a clunk, thats one you need to tighten, just give it 1/4 turns and a tap , when it sounds like the others you're done . it doesnt take much to get them in tune so dont over do it or they will be overstressed and break. then its a job and a half to install a new spoke. hope this helps . good luck and ride safe , ride often

Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
madchemist24
Road Master

Originally Posted by jerryw618
Hello there yes i have done it and check my wheels 2 times a year , first get a 3mm spoke wrench then all you need to do is like everyone says tap a spoke it should ring have a nice tone to it when you hit a loose spoke it will sound like a clunk, thats one you need to tighten, just give it 1/4 turns and a tap , when it sounds like the others you're done . it doesnt take much to get them in tune so dont over do it or they will be overstressed and break. then its a job and a half to install a new spoke. hope this helps . good luck and ride safe , ride often
Thanks for the info. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try before giving in and taking it to a mech.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryw618
first get a 3mm spoke wrench
Harley standard is 6.2mm spoke wrench for most bikes.

Edit: Also, properly tensioned spokes do not all sound the same. You can have an amazing variety of sounds and they all are still perfectly fine.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 05-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't just go tightening spokes to make em sing the same song...you have to true them. I did this a few weeks ago with zip ties on each side of the swingarm and patience. Was quite rewarding however. Grab a 12 pack and have at it.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 PM
madchemist24
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
You can't just go tightening spokes to make em sing the same song...you have to true them. I did this a few weeks ago with zip ties on each side of the swingarm and patience. Was quite rewarding however. Grab a 12 pack and have at it.
I s'pose this would require a jack of some sort.

I get the concept ofthe zip ties (saw your post a fee days ago) but how would someone who has never done this know if the nipple needs to be tightened or loosened to "true" it up?

Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The factory service manual gives a pretty good description on truing wheels. It is much easier if you have a balancing/truing stand. Harbor Freight sells one for around $40 I think.

Quick Reply: spoke adjustment