Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Battery Replacement

Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 PM
jdf9
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster Battery Replacement

Maybe a few of you old pros can help a new HD owner. Just purchased a new (to me) 2007 Nightster. Sweet deal, perfect condition, only 1,800 miles. Only problem is that I need to pick up a new battery before I pick up the bike in a week and a half.

I know a lot of you guys are all about HD branding, but anybody use any other brand of battery? Not necessary trying to get the cheapest thing on the market, but I wouldn't complain if I saved a little bit. Was looking at a Yuasa Maintenance Free Battery but wasn't sure if anybody had any experience with them. Heard good things when I was riding a sport bike instead of a Harley.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by jdf9; 05-09-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Trying to get pictures to show...
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 PM
laffin gas
Tourer

the nice thing about the hd battery is that you know it will fit exactly as the other did. i paid like $120 at the stealership and it was all set ready to go plug it on the tender for a while just to be sure but it was perfect

Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Congrats, low mileage, nice bike.

Methinks Deka batteries are what HD is selling as their own. Try a google on Deka and Sportster.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Deka battery from eBAy for $68.16 shipped.

Another Deka battery branded as a Big Crank for $74.95 shipped from Battery Mart.

Deka makes the HD battery and is sold under a few different names.

Last edited by tibadoe; 05-08-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by jdf9
Maybe a few of you old pros can help a new HD owner. Just purchased a new (to me) 2007 Nightster. Sweet deal, perfect condition, only 1,800 miles. Only problem is that I need to pick up a new battery before I pick up the bike in a week and a half.

I know a lot of you guys are all about HD branding, but anybody use any other brand of battery? Not necessary trying to get the cheapest thing on the market, but I wouldn't complain if I saved a little bit. Was looking at a Yuasa Maintenance Free Battery but wasn't sure if anybody had any experience with them. Heard good things when I was riding a sport bike instead of a Harley.

Thanks for the help!

Problem is you are going to pick up the bike. IF it didn't fit right, you might not be able to fix it easily. On my Jetskis, I use the Seadoo ones simply because they fit. The others sometimes are a little smaller and smaller can rattle around when you hit waves. While I have used Yuasa before, I cannot vouch for the sizing.

Thing is people say "Well Deka makes it for HD." Fair enough. Just because it came from the same factory don't mean it has the same specs. Check the specs first. Deka probably makes for quite a few other people but the spec might be different. Check the reputation online.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdf9

Thanks for the help!

http://www.batteryservice.com/produc...ycle+Batteries

Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

But then again, if you really want to save get a lithium battery. Costs a little more up front but lasts twice as long.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 PM
mjolnir
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another one here for the HD battery, mine went dead two months ago and I tried one I bought from the auto parts store that was supposed to fit- and didn't. I got lucky, they agreed to take it back, but the Harley one only ended up being a few bucks more and fit like a glove.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought the big crank from batterymart. Works well, fits, and $45 cheaper then the HD battery.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 AM
jdf9
Novice

Thanks for all the help guys... I really do appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be good to go with this.

One last random question... can you guys see the pics of the bike I posted? I can always see them, but apparently others have been having trouble seeing the pics I post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nightster Battery Replacement