Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Sportster is leaking gas from the carb!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 03:24 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,631 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Home Depot and Ace have thread gauges, just check the thread size and you can get exactly what you want. I'd go for stainless if possible, but it really doesn't matter. I'd imagine it's metric being a jap carb, maybe a riceburner shop would have them on hand.

John

Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default me too

have a leaking carb also, just not the same side. At first i thought i would have to rebuild my carb as well, then after further examination (and the same problem with the screws) I thought I would just keep trouble shooting. I found that I had a really rotten fuel line (so i replaced) and then i still had a little bit of leaking a lot less than before so i took it all back apart. All i can find leaking now is this little black plastic inlet. in photo1 you can see it is a little wet from gas. I wipe it down and let it idle just the tiniest amount leaks out looks like there is a hairline crack.

1. what is thing called? in photo 5 from my book its called "the body" so i know the book is refering to the carb its self not the inlet.

2. in photo 3 and 4 im showing that some one has done mods to this bike that i dont understand. is it ok?

i have an 89 sporster deluxe that should have another cable from the throtle to regulate i guess. instead i have a screw with a spring. WTF?

Attached Thumbnails My Sportster is leaking gas from the carb!-photo-1.jpg   My Sportster is leaking gas from the carb!-photo-2.jpg   My Sportster is leaking gas from the carb!-photo-3.jpg   My Sportster is leaking gas from the carb!-photo-4.jpg   My Sportster is leaking gas from the carb!-photo-5.jpg  

Old 07-17-2012, 10:26 PM
marine_hm@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Home Depot and Lowes both have the screws you need. Check the specialty drawers in the fastener isle. Ask for help, they'll show you how to check the thread size and help you find it. They are tiny, can't be much. I'd never pulled a carb apart, was able to rebuild mine. check out youtube. There's tons of video instructions so you can see them do it. Once you've watched a couple You'll be saying... That's it?
Here's a good one to get start with...